Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Hello,
A few weeks ago there was a member with a connector " coming off ' from the board. It looked liked a serious connector that once probably soldered could break the board in two. So maybe this one had some cold joints too?
If i am right a cold solderjoint should be desoldered cleaned and soldered again using fresh solder. Probably the connectors have rather big soldering spots so not to difficult.
What about the other parts are there no cold joints on these areas?
This is the only board with this issue?
Would be weird to have some boards in your stacks with barely good enough joints on some spots and spend a small fortune on clocks.
Greetings Eduard
.......Edward give it a rest you are always poking at the product but you are happy to be here and purchase it. This is hobbie and Ian delivers immense value to us as you either jump on board or you get off the train buddy. Sure some debate is good but you point holes etc daily and its not right or fair. Ian is not a hi end hifi company and sure he makes some money but the effort to deliver what he does and a full time job is HUGE.

We should be thanking him not complaining..just my view and felt I had to post this and I do this in good faith not malice..

Reactions: 9 users
Hello ,

I'm very disappointed because I have many problems with Ian Canada products I bought by Audiophonic in France :

RECEIVER PI DDC I2S SPDIF USB (defect weld on the J7 plug cotroler, bad contact when I touch the cables)
AMANERO COMBO384 Interface digitale USB 384kHz vers I2S / DSD
FIFOPI Q7 Module Reclocker FIFO Synchrone 32bit 768kHz DSD1024 DoP (2 weeks after buy I see a new version Mk2 but there is no information for this new version before to buy Mk1)
TRANSPORT PI AES
Extension kit GPIO 40PIN
MONITORPI PRO
LINEARPI MKII DUAL Module ( defect weld on condensator)
UCCONDITIONER MKII
UCBALANCER
UCPURE MKIII

I use a Raspberry Pi4 b and a Chord DAC64mk1 (24/192)

Normaly it's a great setup for my project.

Audiophonic help me to resolve the hardware probleme
(them changed the Linear Pi and I have welding myself the J7 pin. it's ok, no more bad contact)

Now I have some troubles

I use Volumio and I try to test 2 solutions to connect the RPi.

First : RBi is connect with the GPIO to the recever Pi
Amanero is mount on the top side of the Recever Pi PCB .
this solution is working but when I change to next sound or other music, I have the relays of my DAC is switching systematictly and musique start with a late delay.
I have enable "Continuous clock output mode" set with 0.8s delay but nothing change this problem.

Second : Today , I want to try the "Free RPi" DDC solution.
amanero is mount on botton side of the Recever Pi PCB
I use 5v from Linear Pi on J9 and no GPIO connection.
Monitor pro setting is recever Pi "Free DDC"
I don't see USB on Monitor Pro selection
No Signal

Audiophonic can't help me more and say to me to contact directly Ian Canada.

Before , someone can say if I have a bad thing in my build ? or if I make a mystake somewhere ?
Or is it a problems with the hardware ?

many thanks for your help

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Bonjour la France,
According to the law in my country Audiophonic will be the one that has to solve your problem if it caused by a product that is defective. The problem is right now you don't know why it is not working.
Probably they also cannot keep up with the enormous numbers of ways the products can be used because they also need to have some knowledge about the other products they are selling.
It would be nice if they have a technician working for them who can check your board. You are living in France so that is already a big advantage.
Greetings,Eduard

Reactions: 1 user
.......Edward give it a rest you are always poking at the product but you are happy to be here and purchase it. This is hobbie and Ian delivers immense value to us as you either jump on board or you get off the train buddy. Sure some debate is good but you point holes etc daily and its not right or fair. Ian is not a hi end hifi company and sure he makes some money but the effort to deliver what he does and a full time job is HUGE.

We should be thanking him not complaining..just my view and felt I had to post this and I do this in good faith not malice..
Yes, Ian cannot oversee the quality of each batch. But indeed his value is very, very considerable to the DIY community with so many high quality products.

Kudos to Ian.

Reactions: 1 users
Bonjour la France,
According to the law in my country Audiophonic will be the one that has to solve your problem if it caused by a product that is defective. The problem is right now you don't know why it is not working.
Probably they also cannot keep up with the enormous numbers of ways the products can be used because they also need to have some knowledge about the other products they are selling.
It would be nice if they have a technician working for them who can check your board. You are living in France so that is already a big advantage.
Greetings,Eduard
Hello Edouard, :vague:

Yes but my configuration is very simple and basic . It's only Free DDC Transport or same with RPi.
I'll send a email to Ian if he can help me

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Sure once you got your stacks working it will be ok.
Of course if you hire a company to make your boards you should have confidence that there will be a low failure rate because many people who are buying the boards don't have the knowledge or the equipment to solve any issues.
If my former employer Dutch railways would buy some electronic boards to control brake system of a train the supplier cannot say maybe one of 1000 will not work according to the specs but you will see during final testing.
Offer us a fully tested board at 50% higher price.
I will give it one more try when i am back home using some new boards and yet to be bought boards.
Greetings Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Screenshot_2024-01-23-19-55-47-12_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Hello Edouard, :vague:

Yes but my configuration is very simple and basic . It's only Free DDC Transport or same with RPi.
I'll send a email to Ian if he can help me
Hello,
If it is simple solution should be simple too
Good luck, fingers crossed, Eduard

No my grounding was self thought up, hasn't posted here my entire build as it's not done yet. We are talking multiple layer enclosure of mdf, pure copper plates, sorbothane more copper plates and the entire thing housed in a pure custom cut grainte enclosure. Everything to ground. Individual boards in copper enclosurers that'd are also grounded.

I have a lot of Ian gear. A lot. I use a large toroidy tordial I had custom made too, their supereme audio version.

I power everything from a ps audio powerplant as well. Isolation and grounding are incredibly important, as is power quality.

One would think the shieldpi pro II would help but here it hurts. Station pro here running off battery pack for testing. The noise level is less without the shieldpi pro II. The rf fluctuates but here it was 0 without the shieldpi pro II. It would go as high as 100 at times but generally was less without it, than with it.

When powered by wall cheap phone ac to dc 5v converter you get an Ef of 500-600 on the Emi meter.

I measure the effect of all my grounding and noise this way. I also wrap all cables with skived ptfe and then a copper foil layer and then another layer of ptfe and the copper is connected to ground as well. This also makes a big and measure difference.
Hi Badd99

Is this meter you use the one to get or have you found better?

I have a question about powering my Pi-less setup. I have the following modules

#35C StationPi SMT
#4B ESS Dual Mono II DAC and I/V board
#1D FifoPiQ7
#19D ReceiverPi DDC
#49B MonitorPi Pro
#50A GPIO extender
#7A Transformer I/V (Bisesik)

Power:

#41C UcPure MkIII x2
#41F UcBalancer KIT x2

I plan to use the two UcPure MkIII to power all the modules. My question is that I have enough room in my case for a third UcPure MkIII, can I improve the sound by powering any of the modules separately? I know I could power the Amanero directly with it but I can also power the Amanero with a Salas Reflektor D via an AD EVAL-ADUM4160EBZ board. If I did that, what else is left that would benefit from its own UcPure PSU? An oven for the FIFO XO's?

Last edited:
It would help to know how these boards are soldered in the factory. I suspect they are laser soldered (either that or reflowed) in which case the solder used may be difficult to rework with a manual soldering station.

I had to crank up the heat quite a bit when checking my board. The pin 30 connection on my StationPi was never restored, but it does not seem to matter.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Don't worry about it to much it is all part of the diy experience!!
In the past i loved to do oil on canvas painting. This was an expensive hobby at a young age so if you buy brushes you want them to last a long time. So going to the right shop spending a bit more than usual should give you the ones that will last a decade if properly " maintained". I have Knipex pliers that are more than 40 years old.
When we buy boards from a professional company they should work and we should not be forced to spend long time ( as some have done here) to get them in working order. At least in my country consumers are well protected.
I think Audiophonics will be " obliged" to solve issues that shouldn't be there.
Greetings Eduard

It would help to know how these boards are soldered in the factory. I suspect they are laser soldered (either that or reflowed) in which case the solder used may be difficult to rework with a manual soldering station.

I had to crank up the heat quite a bit when checking my board. The pin 30 connection on my StationPi was never restored, but it does not seem to matter.
Funny that, Never got Pin 29 to work either

Isn't it possible to play DSD files via TransportPiAES?
On the manual only this is specified: "Capable of AES/EBU and S/PDIF up to 192KHz. 384KHz is also possible for qualified receiver"
It is possible, but only if the"DoP" setting on the FifoPiQ7 is set to "Disable" and the player software is set to send DoP.
Because most of the DACs or maybe ALL will accept only DOP (max 64) on SPDIF and AES inputs.

BUT!... when you have a stack of HDMIPiPRO and TransportPiAES over FifoPiQ7 (let's say you want to have a streamer with multiple output ports) and a HOLO Audio DAC (which accept DoP on SPDIF, AES, USB but only native DSD on I2S), you will be able to play DSD only by one of the two boards with the same settings of the FifoPiQ7 (DoP disable - TransportPiAES, DoP enable - HDMIPiPRO).

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
So check which pins are used in your set up , desolder, clean and do the solder job properly.
Will number 26, 27 will keep working for a decade if number 25 and 28 needed a new soldering job right from the start?
In the past when soldering was done by a person it would sometimes be called the number one reason for electronic failure.
Now because of sophisticated technology the human error is said to be gone and the culprit now is bad quality caps they say and not the soldering "proces "
anymore.
The big connectors can be done by someone who did solder before but there are some parts that i would not dare to touch.
Can we be assured that the bad joints will just be restricted to those contacts that would require more heat during soldering?
Greetings, Eduard

Joined 2021
Paid Member
@eduard Any stationpi can be used for that but you don’t have to use it either as just put the Pi into a case that is sold on amazon if you like.

i would focus on building your system outside of the DDDAC tower you made to prove it all works then integrate it…….just a suggestion as I don’t feel you have made any of Ian modules work? Maybe I am wrong…..

@eduard, if this information indeed holds true, it appears that your involvement in the DIY Audio community may inadvertently be sowing more confusion than clarity. While your active participation is commendable, it's important to address the occasional instances where your tone and approach may not align with the prevailing etiquette observed by the majority of our community members.

I wholeheartedly endorse @SimonJ's astute observation.

@eduard, it is paramount to bear in mind that despite your Six Sigma and Kaizen certifications ;) , it is equally essential to acknowledge that Ian operates as an amateur, albeit an exceptionally proficient one. This stands in stark contrast to a billion-dollar corporation equipped with an extensive team of dedicated quality control experts. The term "DIY Audio" inherently suggests a realm where enthusiastic amateurs and professionals intermingle.

Regarding unsoldered joints and pins, it's worth noting that even the most well-funded quality control companies encounter such occasional occurrences. If one finds themselves uncomfortable with soldering in the context of DIY projects, it prompts the question, "Seriously?" It's like a mechanic being hesitant to pick up a wrench and work on an engine in an auto repair garage...

PS If one wants to be free of default, just pay the 100$ to get the project, DAC or Streamer, to be fully assemble and tested by Ian...

Cheers,

Jon

Reactions: 8 users
If you sell something it is to your great benefit that the product works, Regardless of weather its a multi-million pound company or a single person in a garage makes no difference. If you pay for a product I would expect it to work, My station Pi did not work initially. However this has not affected to any great extent how good I think Ian Canada boards are. but @eduard does indeed have a very valid point

Joined 2021
Paid Member
@Ras Dan, let's agree to disagree on that one ;) Regarding the statement 'If you sell something, it is to your great benefit that the product works,' I agree wholeheartedly. However, it's essential to clarify that Ian Canada does NOT sell finished products.

1. Additionally, it's worth noting that the samples you're highlighting seem to primarily consist of people expressing their concerns or complaints. It's important to consider that there are many users who haven't raised any issues and are satisfied with their experience.
  2. Furthermore, a substantial portion of the complaints appears to be related to software integration matters, which may not necessarily reflect on the core functionality of the product.

cheers,

Jon

@Ras Dan, let's agree to disagree on that one ;) Regarding the statement 'If you sell something, it is to your great benefit that the product works,' I agree wholeheartedly. However, it's essential to clarify that Ian Canada does NOT sell finished products.

1. Additionally, it's worth noting that the samples you're highlighting seem to primarily consist of people expressing their concerns or complaints. It's important to consider that there are many users who haven't raised any issues and are satisfied with their experience.
  2. Furthermore, a substantial portion of the complaints appears to be related to software integration matters, which may not necessarily reflect on the core functionality of the product.

cheers,

Jon
Point Taken

Reactions: 1 user