Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

A total mystery to me, but good news!

Yesterday I received my MonitorPi Pro back from Audiophonics. I never had any screen activity on this but it worked without problem at their end. Today I plugged it in, mainly to troubleshoot my distortion problem, and there immediately was screen info! (Nothing had changed for the rest of the streamer in the meantime, except that I added an external on/off button for the Pure Pi II.)

And more mystery followed: I can now play higher resolutions up to PCM384 and DSD512 without distortion.

One thing you learn in this hobby: and that is accepting that one cannot understand everything. But I am happy :)

Afterthoughts:

Thinking about it, I am extra surprised that I can play DSD512 as I am not using the Amanero board but the internal RPi DAC:
Card 0, ID `DAC', name `I-Sabre Q2M DAC'
Device 0, ID `I-Sabre Q2M DAC i-sabre-codec-dai-0', name `I-Sabre Q2M DAC i-sabre-codec-dai-0', 1 subdevices (1 available)
2 channels, sampling rate 8000..1536000 Hz
Sample formats: S16_LE, S32_LE
Buffer size range from 4 to 131072
Period size range from 2 to 65536

Elswehere in this thread it was mentioned that RPi does not do DSD over the GPIO connection. But apparently it does.

1702241856902.png

And I forgot to mention two other changes that I made since having the distortion problem: I added a second SC-Pure, the 49 one (not relevant I guess as DSD uses the 45 one), and I am holding down the clocks with Tungsten cubes. I found them a bit wobbly without the help of this extra weight. See pic.

1702241279134.png

Did the Tungsten blocks cure the distortion?
I am not going to test this as they are now firmly fitted. The case lid has some foam attached that barely touches them, so that they will stay in place even when I put the streamer upside down.

@Panamarenko
Please no worries, LinearPi MkII has enough current to power a RPI4 with a SSD. If you want a great dynamic performance, you also can install a UcContitioner to work with a LinearPi.
2.5A+SSD current are just peak current, the average current would be much less based my measurement to my own RPi4.

Ian
Hi Ian! Does the same apply for UciPi/PurePi?

@stew1234
Your project looks great.

I use the similar setups to my system without any problem
Listening test audio configurations
  1. B&W 802 D2 speakers
  2. Pass XA 160.5 pure class A mono block
  3. Pass XP-10 Pre-Amplifier XLR input/output
  4. PS Audio P20 PowerPlant
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...fight-the-jitter.192465/page-532#post-7520451

However, a Transformer I/V can pick-up noise from environment. More shield or better ground could be help. Yes, a ConditionerPi 3.3V will be another improve for sure.

Or, you can try a lower gain pre-amp if the current gain is too high.

Good luck to your project

Ian
Ian, is it possible to power the OPA861 board from the 5v output even though it’s only one rail? Or perhaps power two 5v ucconditioners? Is there increased noise on that rail with the rpi also used?

Thank you!

And more mystery followed: I can now play higher resolutions up to PCM384 and DSD512 without distortion.

One thing you learn in this hobby: and that is accepting that one cannot understand everything. But I am happy :)
Lucky you, whatever I am trying with ideas from Ian, still having the distortion problem..

As I read later posts, it isn't over yet. :-(

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Digital audio is a can of worms.
There are to many things that can go wrong. And once it is wrong most people have no clue how to solve it.
And everyone seems to have a problem that is different than the other peoples problem.
Of course having a collection of to many boards with everyone of them with its own manual not in your mothers language written by technical people does not make things easier. Greetings Eduard

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I am new to DIY audio and new to Ian's audio boards.
Recently I have assembled small Transport Pi Digi streamer with Pure PI.
I have a problem with powering Transport Pi Digi board using battery power from Pure Pi.
Unfortunately I didn't notice that one of the clocks was put backwards before powering up the streamer.
I already got a message from Ian to look at the fuse on Transport Pi Digi. But I don't know where it is. and how it looks like
Could someone show me somehow what am I looking for?

I would appreciate your help.

Pawel

Hello,
Digital audio is a can of worms.
There are to many things that can go wrong. And once it is wrong most people have no clue how to solve it.
And everyone seems to have a problem that is different than the other peoples problem.
Of course having a collection of to many boards with everyone of them with its own manual not in your mothers language written by technical people does not make things easier. Greetings Eduard
This is true, I had a problem where i could not get any sound, although every thing appeared to be working, it took me about a day to find out that it was a badly soldered joint. However if i had been an electrical Engineer , I think I would have found the issue in about two Minutes. I did not even think that the issue was in the analogue domain not the digital. With digital circuits you need to be far more methodical in your fault finding, and underneath all of that you cannot ignore the fact that the issue may not be in the digital domain.

@bodiebill

That's wonderful

Alas not as wonderful as I hoped. The distortion is virtually gone, and that was the reason for my initial euphoria. However, with my ear close to the speaker, I can hear a soft continuous white noise starting when I hit Play with PCM 176 and above, and with DSD. When the music starts I can hardly hear this noise, but it compromises the pristine sound that I am after.

This behavior is regardless whether I use the internal I2S DAC or the Amanero board.

So the behavior w.r.t. distortion has changed. Why? I did make some changes recently, but hardly think they are relevant:
  • rewired everything with thinner silver wire (Xangsane)
  • added a second SC-Pure (49, I already had the 45)
  • added Tungsten blocks on top of the clocks
  • added MonitorPi Pro and mounted this to the front of the case using the GPIO extender
  • attached an external on/off button to the PurePi II
  • attached a ground box to the streamer
@iancanada
Now that I have the MonitorPi Pro working, are there any settings I could try to get rid of the noise? I would already be happy if I could have noise-free PCM192.

1702292796747.png

1702292842683.png

Reactions: 1 user