Are you really interested in 'Hi-Fi'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
We hope it was recorded for frequency flat systems otherwise we would all be in a right pickle.
That hope won't get you very far in the world of recorded music, I'm afraid. The vast majority of recording are an interpretation, not a neutral archive of the event. Those don't sell.
What the original recording was.
I assume you mean the signal that is recorded on the disc? Just asking to be clear.

All the time. Once a month. :D
Here is still active one of such discussions, almost thousand of posts already. Statements in the beginning are much more humble than yours. ;)
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/200865-sound-quality-vs-measurements.html

I have had a quick look through this thread but my question is whether one prefers a high fidelity approach or feet up in front of the tube amp kind of listening!

I truly believe sound can me measured, why not at the end of the day? Why is it any different to your TV for example?

Do we need a separate section for private threads where the OP can ask for opinions but be protected from those he decides a priori must be wrong?

My intentions of this thread was to discuss whether people preferred what type of listening not a debate on whether tubes are hifi or not. I'm sorry I regrete mentioning tubes. I'm sorry I take it back, I'm sorry if I offended anyone or their tubez.

I have work tomorrow I'm going to sleep, perhaps we will have some proper discussion for the morning?

I am basing this on true sound.
Live music sounds better with tubed gear, the recordings of said live sounds were closer to the tubed playback vs SS playback.
SS is very good too, though.

I don't care for how SS can render the "S" sound in wordSSS, SSSome are better then otherSSSS. SSSSymbolssss don't sound as good either on SS.

Tubed gear reproduces the natural grain of the human voice better. The decay of the symbols is better too. IMO.

Distortion, high damping factor, low power, transformers are involved in the signal line, frequency response.

I don't care what you say tubes are not high fidelity.
But ...
Can we have the thread closed?
And to think I was just about to say ...

The illusion of high fidelity probably starts with a song, no, maybe a luthier, or perhaps Kunta Kinte making a drum.

But let's skip ahead to a recording studio. The room is sized and acoustically treated with good reverberation in mind, and then there's the choice of microphones. I hear the SM-57 is popular for miking electric guitar amps and snare drums. But the mic element's signal goes through an audio transformer built right into the body!

Then there's the transformers in a lot of microphone preamplifiers, sometimes on the mic-in end AND the line-level output end. These are often used for the way they modify the sound, but also they're used to solve ground-loop or other noise problem, in which cases they actually make the signal MORE "hi-fi."

Likewise for those classic tube-and-LDR compressors. There are people who build their own over at GroupDIY.

The audio has already gone through all these things before you get to choose which CD player or (gawd forbid!) turntable you use to play back the recording.

But I won't say all that. Especially if this thread is actually closed when I clicl "Submit Reply."

But ...

And to think I was just about to say ...

The illusion of high fidelity probably starts with a song, no, maybe a luthier, or perhaps Kunta Kinte making a drum.

But let's skip ahead to a recording studio. The room is sized and acoustically treated with good reverberation in mind, and then there's the choice of microphones. I hear the SM-57 is popular for miking electric guitar amps and snare drums. But the mic element's signal goes through an audio transformer built right into the body!

Then there's the transformers in a lot of microphone preamplifiers, sometimes on the mic-in end AND the line-level output end. These are often used for the way they modify the sound, but also they're used to solve ground-loop or other noise problem, in which cases they actually make the signal MORE "hi-fi."

Likewise for those classic tube-and-LDR compressors. There are people who build their own over at GroupDIY.

The audio has already gone through all these things before you get to choose which CD player or (gawd forbid!) turntable you use to play back the recording.

But I won't say all that. Especially if this thread is actually closed when I clicl "Submit Reply."

Okay I'll go and buy a £9.99 stereo from amazon then, and all will be good because there's no point to hifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.