Are modern fullrange drivers better than tweeters?

Clean impulse response. Of course still different from signal, area-delta maybe ~2.5 (difference/common), eyeballing.

Anyone else please?

Don't worry, it was the raw array output with only some basic correction but before applying DSP. The end result after applying EQ (a necessary 'evil' on these type of arrays) and adding the subs will look different. It will be closer to representing a true Dirac pulse, aside from it's start and stop bands and using an in-room target.

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
There's always a compromise somewhere in loudspeaker design.

No kidding. Every loudspeaker is a large set of compromises. The Art of speaker design is choosing the set of compromises that best suit the goal.

I guess we are at about 20% of the way to ehat we can do, one could take a set of 10 of the best loudspeakers in the world, all valid designs, yet all sound different.

dave

Reactions: 1 users
So are we looking at comparing something like woofer/s crossed at 300 Hz with either a conventional midrange+tweeter or a wideband driver like a Mark Audio Alpair 7.3? Or should the wideband driver be a bit smaller at 3", crossed higher, not made of metal,... Is there reasonable consensus on what is a representative good wideband driver in the community? The Alpair 7.3 is not a current driver so is the replacement the Alpair 7 MS considered by the wideband community to be better, worse or about the same?
Hmm, 'reasonable', not IME WRT such a 'wide band' ;) observation, so best IME is to choose based on what one prizes most WRT high SQ/'accurate' frequency response, i.e. best (extreme) HF, voices, mean of these, etc..

Most folks choose the telephone BWs (250-2500 Hz analog, 300-3000 Hz digital) whether they realize it or not, so at least 250-3 kHz typically first and foremost. Regardless, your choices sets both piston (Sd) sizes, ergo spacing, leaving the XO to ideally be at a matching polar response or at least close enough when the 1/4 WL spacing (up to 1 WL depending on how far away one normally listens) is factored in.

In short, sounds easy enough, but nowadays there's way too many to (easily) choose from and since we all hear the same, yet not so much it's a 'crap shoot' at best IME, so choosing based on response, impedance plots is as good as any way for me when helping others with their speaker designs, which to date I've had a pretty good 'track record' AFAIK, though of course all disclaimers apply! ;)

Having been 'immersed' in various 755 apps from earliest age this is an 'apples n' oranges' comparison at best if for no other reason than the AR9 used a dedicated 1.9 cm/~0.75" dia. super tweeter for 'fill' - 'top end 'air'. Disconnecting it, leaving a 3.8 cm/~1.5" mid/tweet is a close enough 'ballpark' comparison though that in retrospect wished I'd done such when I could have, but was/am too 755 centric (especially the original FC) by then to give 'two hoots n' holler' ;) and really, really wished I'd had the foresight to buy/store the hundreds available (some FC) in my locale at one time for 'pennies on the dollar', but at the time didn't see a way to make enough profit from them to justify the potentially long term storage cost.
It would be nearly impossible to have an apples to apples debate here when really the debate is "do we need oranges when apples taste so good". The AR9 mid is more like a dome mid anyhow than it is a wide-range speaker.

I am aware of the types of things the "full range" crowd values which has been drawn out to some extent in some of the responses above. I am wise enough these days not to baldly state them because it causes offence which will derail the thread which has managed to get back on course over the last page.

At high frequencies it is straightforward to avoid the detrimental effects of resonances with rational engineering. At low frequencies the advantages can outweigh the disadvantages unless size and cost are of no concern. If low cost is a strongly weighted objective then resonating wide bandwidth transducers are part of a rational engineering-based solution. It is why they are the usual choice for cheap non-high fidelity audio devices. For a budget 2 way with a large 10-12" midwoofer a 1.5-2" sized upper frequency transducer would be a natural engineering solution even though these days there is little market demand for such transducers. Setting aside what is given up in a transducer of this size if it is also designed to produce some sort of low frequency output it only makes engineering sense in low cost 2 way designs. As soon as a higher cost becomes acceptable in order to achieve a higher technical performance then an engineering-based solution is not going to involve resonances in wide bandwidth transducers and how best to control them becomes irrelevant.

Of course with a hobby like this high technical performance and engineering-based solutions are not of interest to everyone. No problems until claims are made that contradict basic engineering and we get threads like this.
I'm still not following you re: higher cost and technical performance, and resonances.

Consider for instance the Eminence Alpha. To improve high frequency performance (let's agree 1kHz is wide band here), the VC is small and the cone is light. In bass simulations, the 12" (iirc) seems almost broken, requiring 100s of litres (sealed!) for its full potential. I haven't heard such a setup but I imagine it could have amazingly natural ear-hugging bass (given the high VAS, large box, high efficiency, high QMS).

However, I would probably go for the more manageable Eminence Beta or similar. The tweeter is still wide open. I'm pleased with the 3.5" metal Mark Audio drivers I have. While my experimental current amps are in storage I've started to always add 10-20 ohm resistors in series with my class d chip amps, which has consistently made every driver I own sound a little bit better.

Resonances are big conversation. There's a thread on high QMS, and my take-away from it was that mechanical damping tends to convert amplitude irregularities into harmonics and intermodulation. So you gain one thing but lose another.

"when really the debate is "do we need oranges when apples taste so good" I like Primitivo! That's how silly this debate become! ;o)
Agree 100%. Not sure why everything needs yo turn into trash talking. We all love audio, that's obvious. And I'm seriously not married to any ideology, I just go based on what I've heard and done. I love music, I love stereos, and I'm definitely down to listen to new ideas.

Being completely transparent, the best sounding system I've ever sat in front of was 15" horn loaded woofers, with huge horn tweeters and plasma super tweeters. The newest driver in that system was probably 1970. He used tube amp and preamp, and a crazy turntable (that he made). You could grab the music out of the air, was just spectacular sounding. And I'm not a "horn guy", but I'm also honest enough to admit what I just said. A lot of you guys probably know him or know of him, but I'll ask if he's ok with it before I drop his name.

Reactions: 1 users
Matt, if the owner of the system that you're referring to is good with it, I would love to see that setup? I can appreciate any system that sounds great, to my ears. Glenn.
Actually I'm going to just assume he's good with me saying his name... I just know he wouldn't enjoy getting into the middle of an argument. It's Andy Bouman from Vintage Tube Services. He designed and built the whole system using old, original Altec, or Wharfdale, or Jenson (don't recall exactly) drivers. Don't remember who made the plasma tweeters. I was seriously shocked at how amazing it sounded, and I've sat in front of the best the world has to offer at any price.

I do know it was an older Cary tube amp, but don't remember the preamp. The turntable was a weird dual platter job (one platter spun the other) with a crazy, oddly articulating tone arm. Don't remember which cartridge.

Funny thing is, he got a reel-to-reel, some special massive one, and I was super excited to hear that because I've never heard a reel-to-reel, only read about them. I actually much preferred his turntable in his system.

He won't play anything digital, he's very much analog only. FTR, I am not that way, but I definitely appreciate his talent and his brain, was honestly an amazing system to sit in front of and he knows a LOT about the audio industry. I will have to ask if he's ok with me posting pics of it.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Looking at some of the small (3 inch or so) fullrange drivers and the better ones seem to have excellent frequency extension and off axis response along with the ability to cross much lower than domes and the like so the question…..seems like a great choice to mate with an 8-10” woofer for a 2 wa
Looking at some of the small (3 inch or so) fullrange drivers and the better ones seem to have excellent frequency extension and off axis response along with the ability to cross much lower than domes and the like so the question…..seems like a great choice to mate with an 8-10” woofer for a 2 way.
No such thing.

Hence a ~same-same comparison if you look at a 755's mechanically XO'd three way diaphragm.
Are you thinking of the same speaker? This is the original AR9, that dome midrange won't behave anything like the original 755 did, vastly different. They crossed that at 1.2k and 7khz IIRC.
Screenshot_20221221-192317_1.png