Are modern fullrange drivers better than tweeters?

Looking at some of the small (3 inch or so) fullrange drivers and the better ones seem to have excellent frequency extension and off axis response along with the ability to cross much lower than domes and the like so the question…..seems like a great choice to mate with an 8-10” woofer for a 2 way.

I read once a doctoral dissertation which analyzed different types of tweeters with matched FR response to compare them scientifically. In blind listening tests no difference was audible. However if the specs are good you certainly can build good loudspeakers with the 3 inch fullrangers.

As you cover the important middle tones with one driver you get for free the time coherence of a point source. So you get something classical tweeters do not cover up.

Reactions: 3 users
I likely would have flunked that dissertation haha, on grounds of gross sampling bias. Out of billions of tweeter sample combinations he cherry-picked a few pairs with identical FR to write a thesis on....(Seriously as a methodology critique, I can pick out identical-sounding pairs of different tweeters too -- a very specific FR, but then so were his.)

Has anyone here ever owned two different tweeters with identical performance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have asked that question myself after hearing my lines with 18 pcs of 4 inch Visaton FR10HM with wizzers. I think it is the MUCH large lower frequency 500-2k capacity that gives the remarkable ease and low distortion in the treble that shines through. When you have 18 drivers, doppler is no problem as you cant nearly feel or see the drivers move at still very loud levels.

Backside - and its a big one - dispersion.

//

Reactions: 3 users
even if you get the best 3-4" driver its still going to be poor in dispersion. a dome can always be better than a woofer.
over on audiocircle there are some obsessing over fullrange drivers and claiming crossover color the sound or whatever. they even push 18" full range drivers (yes you read correctly)
iv found no quality in fullrange drivers at all compared to a proper 2-way-3-way.

I likely would have flunked that dissertation haha, on grounds of gross sampling bias. Out of billions of tweeter sample combinations he cherry-picked a few pairs with identical FR to write a thesis on....(Seriously as a methodology critique, I can pick out identical-sounding pairs of different tweeters too -- a very specific FR, but then so were his.)

Has anyone here ever owned two different tweeters with identical performance?
With translation you can maybe read it:

https://www.analog-forum.de/wbboard...t-unterschiedlicher-hochtonkonzepte/&pageNo=1

Reactions: 1 user