Are cardboard enclosures any good?

Joined 2015
Paid Member
One worked so well I did its mate in ply and found only a trace of coloration (warmth) from the cardboard TL, less than that imparted by a typical MDF cab.
Well yes, this is the kind of answer I was looking for.

I did not find any of the previous threads of mine that deal with cardboard. If I had found those threads I may have posted a different set of posts.

Thanks to JMFahey, yes I do find this fun.
Im sure cardboard could be made to work if the maker is that determined, but you'd have to research into the physics of it and probably add other products to make it work(laminating glues etc.)where you could just use some mdf/ply and pva glue like the rest of us.
I will build the box first and then test it out. Of course it will not sound like a wooden enclosure, however how different will it sound? How good? That can only be settled with experiment.

Beyond the acoustical issues, longevity was one of my main concerns with typical shipping box cardboard. A lot of it is pretty soft these days. The faces on the honeycomb versions I've run across have typically been a lot stiffer.
Not sure where to get honeycomb versions. Gluing two pieces together gave a reasonable amount of stiffness so that is encouraging. I hope to finish it off in vinyl sticker which apparently no-one else has tried.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
A little explanation is in order. I have used MDF and plywood in the past, and intended to do so. I am now stuck in an apartment, with a ban on drilling, cutting, and sawing. My drill and jigsaw is in another country. I am simply curious as to what can be done at what cost, maybe post the plans for others to follow.

Hence the question.

A search for 'cardboard bookshelf speakers' netted a video on cardboard bookshelves. The construction and finish is quite good, and we are halfway there.

Have a look:

Joined 2015
Paid Member
Of course I could buy plywood online. Wish I had thought of that before.

1674574174767.png

Done that before, made up a little boom box from a "Bookers Burbon" box and some 4" car dash speakers plus a scavenged amp from a set of Realistic plastic speakers.
Worked a treat obviously not hifi, mate was using it as a guitar amp he loved the distortion... even mic'ing it up to a large Fender amp!
I still have it somewhere

Joined 2015
Paid Member
I will stick with cardboard for the moment. Looking at some of the older threads I realize the following:

I built and used a cardboard speaker and it sounded entertaining enough. The finish was terrible, something I will fix this time

1674656286719.png

Here is an evaluation:

1674656336955.png

Foam-board speaker enclosure built by members have sounded very good, with good bass.

Joined 2015
Paid Member
So there you are, in an apartment, you may be a student, a migrant worker, and you have with you your smart phone and a Bluetooth Speaker. The $7 one. It works, but could there be more to it than this? TablePro MG2

1674657333551.png

You can buy car speakers for $35 a pair. At least you know you are getting consistent quality. How to mount them? Off the wall? On the wall?

Then you think: are cardboard speakers any good?

Last edited:
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Choosing the drivers: So there is a set of Pioneer speakers for sale at the equivalent of $12 per pair. The woofer section was smooth and clear, the tweeter was awful so I actually cut it out, and mounted the woofer on an open baffle, I does fine with EQ but then these were made for door-mounting (Car door that is, although a room door.. that would be interesting)
1674657586800.png

Clarity and clean bass with EQ were the strong points of these things. Next thing is to mount them in the cardboard enclosure.

I made some speakers out of cardboard postal tubes and old car speakers a while ago. The cardboard is thin, but the tubular shape gives them sufficient rigidity. Car speakers tend not to be exactly Hi-Fi quality, but that wasn't the point here.

I can't imagine a box-shaped enclosure made of ordinary corrugated cardboard working well at all - it just isn't stiff or strong enough.

Attachments

• assembled.jpg
    assembled.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2015
Paid Member
Car speakers tend not to be exactly Hi-Fi quality, but that wasn't the point here.

What was the point then, the 'application'?

I can't imagine a box-shaped enclosure made of ordinary corrugated cardboard working well at all - it just isn't stiff or strong enough.
See the video - it is strong enough for a bookshelf. But we shall see.

was awful so I actually cut it out,
I hope that you pealed off the sticker on the magnet, to reveal the screw that holds the tweeter assembly in place; I've fiddled with car speakers myself.
Here's an idea, get a cheap 6x9 car speaker (they're designed to work on a parcel shelf, so should work well on an open baffle), take the tweeter out, use the resulting hole through the magnet to bolt it to a weight (metal or concrete), stick the weight on a stand and make a cardboard baffle. This way the cardboard wont have to support the magnet, and wont be shaken by the driver so much, and the dead qualities of the cardboard would make it a good choice.
Perhaps you could use the drivers from the Bluetooth thing as tweeters, re-using the capacitors from the car tweeters, or using polypropylene motor run caps.

"Papier mache" made on similar principles as fibre glass or carbon fibre with compound curves (curved in 2 directions for extra strength) could work.

But it's (usually) not like a bicycle where you want to save weight by making the frame double as a shock absorber. The speaker is almost always bolted to the enclosure, and designers/engineers have a dilemma of what to do with the vibrations:

1) making the box super-heavy is a popular solution, but reduces practicality.

2) using lossy materials is a mixed bag. The price of using polymers to turn vibrations into heat is distortion, because it tends to be non-linear. In the forum some people prefer wood and plywood materials rather than MDF, and the reduced distortion may be one of the reasons, even though the box may be transmit more vibrations to the air due to the reduced weight.

My advice would be: engineer it properly first, and then whatever it looks like is more likely to be accepted. Just like a sports car that "looks fast".

Reactions: 1 user
What was the point then, the 'application'?
The point was to make use of the old car speakers that were just sitting on the shelf doing nothing.

See the video - it is strong enough for a bookshelf. But we shall see.
Multiple layers still aren't going to be strong enough. I made a speaker out of something similarly weak before - an IB subwoofer mounted on a small door. The door consisted of two sheets of hardboard on a wooden frame, hollow in the middle. I filled the gap with expanding foam to give it some rigidity. Although it would have easily held the weight of the sub if it was a shelf, it was difficult to bolt the sub onto it without crushing the material. I wouldn't choose something so weak if I had a choice.

The first paragraph of any loudspeaker book start with the magic words: What is the purpose of putting a speaker in an enclosure ?
It's because of this, and this, and that...
And how shall be the enclosure be made of ?
It should be principally sound-proof, as it doesn't have to allow the back wave to expand and migrate trough the baffles.

So, cardboard...!?

...foam ?!

Reactions: 1 user