Apogee Speakers Construction

But adding a butyl rubber in place of foum.... would still work ...an sound better by far....than the rotted foum.....
But hay i get it...................you did what you thought was right...It great your happy.......justsaying....you may be like me an run in to 5 more pr....for littel money?
ever my buzzing Duettas worket...only now then thay buzzed....................................................................but i could here it every min...hehe.....But the guy that paid me more than i paid.....he heard nothing an i told him thay buzzed an that was why i was selling them....

What amp are you using?? thanks

Last edited:
One thing I've learn't with owning Stages,Duetta Sigs, Scintilla's, and Diva's and being able to switch out for comparison, the sound just gets better as you go up the chain, But the Scintilla's in some ways are better than even the Diva's, but the Diva's prevail when it comes to SPL output, the Stage doe's have a very nice sounding MT ribbon, but the Bass panel is very limited for the freq range it covers.

Sounds like your not in the Buzzz club......lucky man...all the Apogees above the Stages seem to buzz ezer in the US....but maybe if there in a Dryer environment...thay may work an last longer....I know ESLs can.....An what amps are you driving your Apogees with?
Thanks for your input.................

Apogee Stage speaker cable

I have a question that goes slightly off topic.

When I opened up my Stages to clean out the dust; I wondered has anyone ever replaced the internal wiring which isn't particularly 'audiophile' with something of higher quality, considering how much money people are willing to spend on the cable between the amp and speaker.

I know a lot of people dismiss the audibility of wire as 'hype', but when you add up all the small things...

If you have, what speaker cables have you found that works best for the MT and are you using something different for the Bass panel; also, did you use the same wire between the speaker and amp?

Opinions would be appreciated as there are a lot of cables out there, and it would take a lifetime to hear them all as well as make me bankrupt.

Well i never cut the old soild wire out...i just bend it out of the way.....May be tape it....
.What i have found Wire wise... Silver cotted copper with Teflon cotting for the inside of the staged..thats bass an M-T....20ga work an gives a better sound all around.... just the right mix.....
But if you go biger like 18-16ga...it pushs the bass out an sound get darker sounding.....
then use what ever as speaker wire you like... to the speakers..........
An for sure... i get rit of crimp stell type ends that Apogee uses on there wire ends... one stock i do not keep....i pull then off...thay can them self be lose an buzz....i did this on every pr i had....Even Apogees solid wire can an well buzz...
Do this even if you keep stock solid wire.....just slip the barwire under the screw.....work an sounds better.....
All just one mans finding...............

Last edited:
My Stages were factory wired with Symo, according to Jason bloom to sound better than some exotic priced wire on the market, The latter production also used kapton for thier ribbons than the earlier mylar models, mine are the later when Short worked for them on thier engineering team. It was also stated that the sprage and asc caps, still had better sonics, than a lot of modern caps of today. I read this awhile back somewhere, and have to somewhat agree with it.

My Frist Krell KSA100 was wired with Symo... hehe.........I had Symo 10' bi-wire pr of Speaker wire for my for frist pr of Duettas....
Symo never worket for me.....Jason liket it a lot...
An as for the caps.....I have never found any better in the Apogees.... than the Stock caps.....but i Did all the cap changes in the 90s....the new telflon wire in my Stages give me a taller image.....

For the mylar M-T .... i alway tried to hear the two sided ones....Never did...
Samppo Stages were madein 90...An i think his are capton backet ...all mine were captone backet........i Know some of the frist Rave review were with the Mylar M-T...
I have always felt you would get a taller image out of the Stages when sat on the floor...the stans were a after thought...or made becase of the capton back M-T did not give as tall a image....the Stages Sound more Bal on the Floor.....well to me...
I bet you get great sound out of Mylar with foil on the back side .....but could fail if driven buy a 1000 watt Krell..

Last edited:
tyu I have my Stages in a 17x33' area, I found they sound better up 10" from floor than on floor, also 4.5' from back wall, they stand just about straight up and down, tied them down on back side so they can't fall over, solved alot of over bass problems in mid bass, also the midrange and high freq is much better, but I think room is just s tad big for them.

Attachments

• Stage3.jpeg
    Stage3.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 358
Yes pro an con hight off the floor....i have hard wood stands 8"...... Big Room....my room is 18'X40'X13" all open....with a 7' movabel wall ....so to day my Audio room 18'X30'....90 degrees....yes an no...it dose change the sound......

I have toyed with Makeing new feet for the stages like the Duettas....but taller that would put the Stages at 8-10" off the floor......hehe time well tell

Last edited:
Hi Everyone.
Many thanks for the all the info on Silicone treatment and longevity of the stuff. More than 10 years...super !!!
I will order the Silicone shortly and keep you updated :)

...and Tyu, you are completely right about putting glue in the coil is a One-Way solution. Unfortunately, I don't think it would have worked just to tighten the wires with plastic strips or something. I couldn't make the buzzing sound disappear completely by pressing on the coil. It seemed to originate from deep inside the coil.

Ohhh...and Samppo...really cool with the link for the German site. Unfortunately they also don't produce Bass ribbons for the Stages??? But the MT-ribbons seemed fairly priced.
I thought I had digged up all such sites relevant for Apogee- and generel ribbon speakers stuff long ago, but this site was new to me. I think it was so well hidden because it was almost all written in German language.

Regards...

look i am a give me diy.....are death....But out of all the Speaker i have had...these littel Stages Have the Magic.. but hell get some coils that wont make noise....i think jason like the sound of loos hand made coils..i know i do...jut a littel blu-tak well stop ther talking...hehe
.Sure in a day are two i go to my Acoustats...or My ML.......or even the Magnepans.....all these type of speaker can gain from the same modes............I just pull a Res out of the inputs on my Acoustats high frec tran....thats in the C mod....that i thought was the end of the work to get the best sound out of the 121 interfaces..... After got over the Shock on how much better it sounded.....Then i put in my centaur minor....That by the way have the Same M-T as the stages....But are crossover higher than any of the two way M-T than any two
fullgang Apogee....an it has the best top end ever....i pulled the trap out of the stages so that all the M-T see is the sears 70mf...the trap adds a 1.5 ohm res...
an the Stages sound stage ......there a lot more there ...there..hehe....only took over20years to bipass the switch....even though i had read for years that the switchs Apogee used .....were sound killers.....so know there like new speakers...gofig

I well say this Dont miss a pr of Cen Minors.......same old loos coils an same caps..
but the crossover has 30mf an an a smaller trap....were the Stages has the 70mf an a biger trap in the crossover the minor can give Great sound an image....for vary littel $$$ an we all lov that...........................

Last edited:
Samppo
are thay sound better...an better?
Did you ever work on the Bass panel in the one speaker?
Did you ever get feet, so Stages can stand on there own... on the Stans?...
I bet this well give you even better Bass an mids...An make a big diff in overall sound..
Or....are you just diging the sound........Have fun
mine are still in my setup sound great!...I have one of the Best Eqs money can buy...a old hhscott tube preamp setup on a Vairic so i can back off a litte on the AC an drope the tube heaters ....get the Stages to sound anyway i need for the room.......what a great small speaker...yes
One more time....thanks for the great part of this post about your work on the Stages............
Dose any one know of any one that has done anything to the Stages..Pic..info........thanks

Last edited:
tyu, I've listened to them for many hours after the fix and no signs of any buzz :)

Haven't fixed the stands yet, but I will try to refabricate the missing parts. Stages are great speakers!

I forgot to say about the silicone mixture that you can put it in the freezer in between doing the work, just take it out a bit before using and mix well. This way you don't have to make a new mixture every time.