Anyone know specs for peerless woofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peerless (india) SKO-130-PL-SH-8 5.25" Woofer / Midrange 4 ohm

Any one know the specs for this woofer? Is it similar to a woofer that the specs are known for? I can't measure specs myself i think :Popworm:

Attachments

• sko-130-pl-sh.jpg
    sko-130-pl-sh.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 703
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I don't know about Peerless India, ostensibly a different company but still with some kind of ties to Peerless Denmark, but Peerless Denmark, when they custom make a driver, assigns it a part number. Even though the driver is made for one company only.

When that company stops making the model the driver was custom made for, the drivers get released on the surplus market with the Peerless number-but the specs are impossible to look up.

They were never made for public consumption, you see, so the specs are not published at all.

Have you considered measuring the Thiele-Small parameters yourself?

kelticwizard said:
Have you considered measuring the Thiele-Small parameters yourself?

Yes, I think it would be complicated to measure the specs, no? I bought these woofers for a friend. They were cheap woofers to go into his car, but we did not get around to it, so I kept them. I would like to put them in a ported or TL type box. So I was wondering what the specs were.

I also have some Peerless tweeters to go with them and they're are both shielded, so I thought they would make good computer speakers. I built other speakers, but only use them for my computer and I can't put them next to it. So they are behind me, not optimium I would think.

They say Peerless Acoustics LTD. and then a address in Richboro, PA on the back. Which I reckon does not help.

Just saw your second post - that's the company that makes it. The woofer was measured in Voice Coil Magazine (I think that's the name) in August 1996, but it does not help much.

Joined 2001
Complicated to measure them. Maybe not.

A couple of questions.

I know you have built several speakers-did you ever get around to getting to know Speaker Workshop?

If not, do you have a multimeter?

How about a calibrated mike-Radio Shack SPL meter would do fine.

The mike and SPL meter are optional.

kelticwizard said:

I know you have built several speakers-did you ever get around to getting to know Speaker Workshop?

If not, do you have a multimeter?

No, I gave up on Speaker Workshop. I think I needed a preamp for my mic maybe. I made a preamp with a battery and resistor (I think it was) and it work in audiotester for the woofer low end measurement. I did not get Speaker Workshop to work with the mic or battery and mic. I have a different Sound Card now; probably makes no difference though.

I have a crappy multimeter that is not digital.

Joined 2001
Feyz:

How did you find that page?

I went all the way back to 2000 in archive.org, looking up Peerless India's home page, and still could not find those specs in the Peerless India homepage of 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004. 2000 was the first year archive.org listed the Peerless India home page.

Great detective work!

Joined 2001
Jimmy154 said:

No, I gave up on Speaker Workshop.

Fair enough. ;)

Jimmy154 said:
I made a preamp with a battery and resistor (I think it was) and it work in audiotester for the woofer low end measurement.

Woofer low end measurement is what Thiele-Small parameters are all about. I believe you posted some screenshots of Audiotester before, and it seems more than adequate to give you the Thiele-Small parameters.

Jimmy154 said:
I did not get Speaker Workshop to work with the mic or battery and mic. I have a different Sound Card now; probably makes no difference though.

Might be worth a shot to try Speaker Workshop with the new sound card if you have the time some day. Anyway, Audiotester should give you what you need for Thiele-Small parameters.

Jimmy154 said:
I have a crappy multimeter that is not digital.

For measuring Fs, I think you are better off with a "crappy" analog meter.

I think Audiotester probably has instructions on how to do Thiele-Small measurements. But even if it doesn't, I'll post later tonight some quick, easy ways to do them. Might be fun, to check them against the specs.

PS: Are these out of a speaker, (thereby broken in), or are they brand new? If these are brand new, you probably want to break them in by hooking them up to a low frequency tone for several hours before testing.

Thank you kind Marsian and Earthling also.

I did not permenantly give up on Speaker Workshop. I gave up on MLK's TL spreadsheets before, and then figured it out a year later. But in the Speaker Workshop case I don't think it's a matter of figuring out how the software works. I just don't have the right setup or mic preamp I suspect is the issue.

Yes, I measured fs before with this my meter. Break-in might be nice. Also checking the specs might be nice, since they are the SKO 130 "PL SH" (SH being shielded and PL being Poly I think). They have the Poly specs, but it is not shielded. Does shielding affect the specs a lot? I've looked at some Vifa woofer specs and seen that it doesn't, but I have seen there woofers with holes in the back of the shielding becasue of vented pole piece I think.

Now I have to figure out the best way to sell my Eton/MB Quart speakers. But I reckon there's no advise about that.

Looking at the specs. They have a spec for the 8 ohm version Poly cone. And then they have the specs for a 4 ohm version which isn't Poly cone I'm assuming and it's not shielded, so I don't know how close the specs will be. Mine is a 4 ohm poly cone shielded version (PL i'm assuming is poly cone).

I think I might have to measure these or wing it.

The above post is inaccurate as many of my posts are :D The DCR of my woofers is about 5.5 ohms when measured with my analog multimeter. So I think the SKO 130 Poly specs might be correct, although it seems like the back of the cone is paper. Another issue I have is that if my DCR is 5.5 ohms my speakers nominal impedance would be 8 ohms not 4, right? Measured with audiotester it seems to be 4 or 5 ohm nomial, but the scale says db not ohm, I guess I will post a pic now.

I have tried Audiotester and Speaker workshop to measure impedance. I think Audiotester and Speaker Workshop do not like my microphone input (I got new sound card drivers, it didn't help). In Audiotester you can change the input to line-in, but in Speaker Workshop I'm not aware that this can can done. I have not broken the drivers in or mounted them properly for testing but I get a resonance peak at 95-100 Hz in Audiotester. I have also not found or maybe there is no way to approxiamte T/S specs using Audiotester.

Can you change input from mic to line-in in Speaker Workshop? Or can you approximate T/S specs in Audiotester?

Attachments

• peerless sko 130.jpg
    peerless sko 130.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 236
Greets!

Interesting! They're ~just around the corner from me. I knew they carried Peerless, but assumed it was the originals, which is what they used to carry AFAIK. Anyway, I wouldn't pay much attention to these specs since they are too far off from calc'd BL/Mms/Cms.

Yes, these would be nominally 8 ohm drivers. Can't help with the testing programs, but breaking in a driver typically only lowers Fs ~10%, so your Fs measurement is way off if they should be down around 50Hz.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.