Anyone here own a Rel Sorm III sub?

Thanks @tangoextreme.

Great. I'll go with those Nichicons for the two large caps.

The other (small) electrolytic caps on the same PCB are three Daewoo RSS 100uF 25V 85degC (6.3mm x 11mm x 2.5mm spacing).

I found these Nichicon UKWs: UKW1E101MED Nichicon | Mouser

The ripple current is rated at 185ma.

However, am I reading the Daewoo RSS specs for 100uF 25v (6.3x11) correctly in that they are rated for 210ma?
https://www.megastar.com/products/Daewoo/Content/pdfs/rss_series.pdf

So I'm wondering if these Nichicon UKWs are suitable or not?

Also, I think I can see at least one electrolytic cap on the other inputs/control PCB. Access looks more difficult as it appears that the neutrik connectors would need to be desoldered, in order to remove and get access to the other side of the PCB. Is recapping the electrolytic cap(s) on this inputs/control PCB important too, or is it less critical?

This is a huge help.

It looks like it's for the low level input.

I'm using the low level inputs on the dual Storm IIIs in my main system, because I route the subwoofer signals (only) through a DSpeaker 'Anti-Mode 2.0' unit.

So I'll try to service the input/control PCBs too.

Okay, this Nichicon 100uF is 35V, and also happens to have a better ripple current rating than the one above, at 200ma: www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nichicon/UKW1V101MED/493-15506-ND/1964242

100uF 35V 85degC 200ma ripple (6.3mm x 11mm x 2.5mm spacing).

Okay, so I'm a little bit slow, but here's another Storm III board that I just serviced.

- Recapped all electrolytics with Nichicon UKW1V101MED 100uf 35v and Nichicon LKS1K103MESC 10,000uf 80v, including the hidden 100uf on the preamp PCB.
- Changed Q4, Q5 to MJE350, and Q9, Q10 to MJE340. Added Aavid 577102B00000G heatsinks to Q5 & Q10 (I also changed Q13 to MJE340 and Q14 to MJE350 while I was at it)
- Changed R6 (SMD 10k) to 22K, 1/4 Watt, 1%
- Changed R8 (12k, 2 Watt) to
Caddock MP925 15k 1% 25W TO-220 resistor with Aavid 504222B00000G heat sink (Snap off one leg to clear Q7 if necessary. Notch a nylon spacer and glue between heatsink and pcb with epoxy or neutral cure silicone RTV)

Temps with music playing (all measured in open air)
- Q5 & Q10 80-85F (up to 135F previously)
- R8 100-110F (up to 160F previously)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    789.8 KB · Views: 414
  • 2.png
    2.png
    756.7 KB · Views: 556
  • 3.png
    3.png
    721.7 KB · Views: 387
  • 4.png
    4.png
    736.8 KB · Views: 393
  • 5.png
    5.png
    643 KB · Views: 383
  • 6.png
    6.png
    696 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Great Thread and very timely since one of my Storm III's has developed a Hum.

It does not Hum when I initially turn it on but after I play some Music it will sit there with a small hum.

I am looking for a Service Tech to rebuild both of my Storm III Amp's but I have struck out with two recommendations from an Audiogon Post.

These Recommendations are both 6 Month's out;

The Audio Wizard in Arizona

EBC Electronics in NJ

I would really like to keep these due to the Size, Beautiful Cherry Cabinet, and I am the Original Owner since New.

If anyone can steer me to a good Technician then please contact me and this would be much appreciated.

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all the helpful information in this thread.

I have a Strata III that was beginning to show signs of age -- whooshing, weak signal, crackling. I had the amp out and on a shelf for about 10 years (!) and I finally got around to thoroughly cleaning the power switch and replacing R8 with a 12K 3W 2% Dale resistor. Mounted it WAY off the board (like about an inch) and am hoping this helps keep it cool. May do the whole rework and cap replacement later.

Unfortunately I can't figure out where I put the screws to secure the amp to the enclosure. Would anyone happen to have specifications on those? I am very particular on using the proper fasteners -- just not so good at remembering where I put them...

Fantastic info here. Gosh, some years ago I paid to send my Stadium amp to UK for repair LOL. Looks like that was not money or time well spent.

Seems this thread is kind of old but I'll give a shot at resurrecting. I'm going to try to repair a Strata III. I see a few mentions throughout the thread but most are discussing Storm III. Even great parts lists and instructions but they're for the Storm. Does anyone know how many differences there are between the Storm and Strata?

It's classic euro product. Designed with flaws and then premium demanded to sort out all that pile of **** inside that was supposed to be perfect in the first place.

I sold rel to some rel fanatic. Convenient to have such fools around to dump junk electronics.

I have been happy with Dayton audio spa 250 and 500 watt plate amps. Run pretty cool. And no issues. Havent found complaints or long threads of people trying to fix engineering mistakes or "optimisations".

I mounted it on 15" velodyne sub I found for free. Good driver but junk amp on velodynes.

Or just get a hsu sub and call it a day.

Fixing rell is like fixing a bmw. Problems never end

Resurrecting this thread as I'm another owner with a not very happy Strata III. All the proposed component upgrades are ready to roll, but surface mount C4 has been totally destroyed and I've got no way of knowing the value. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• Rel C4.jpg
    Rel C4.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 114