• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

anyone ever use EL86/6CW5?

one could extract more than 40 watts from a pair

I guess I need to try harder.....I was only getting 30 watts:)

plate voltage of 350 V or somewhat more, half this value as screen voltage (that makes the PSU simpler )

One can use an isolation transformer with a pair of 120 volt secondaries to make 170 and 340 volts. I ran that with a 3300 ohm OPT to get about 30 watts at the edge of clipping in a guitar amp using UL84's in a series heater string connection off the 170 volt supply with UCC85's in the preamp.

Hector asked this same connection in the Tubelab forum and I explained that there are lots of tubes called 6CW5 / EL86. The US made GE 6CW5's that I have in my SPP bias up quite a bit differently than the French made UL84's. I suspect that the differences are in the screen grid sensitivity since several different max voltage specs are quoted.

My amp testing regardless of intended application involves multiple methods of torture. Just as I blast a guitar preamp through my HiFi amps (yes even the 300B stuff), I use the same set of test equipment for power output, THD and frequency response.....

...consider this the 1980 vintage equivalent of a MIDI button controller, the buttons are not velocity sensitive. You get the same "sound" with a light touch or a hard whack. Some of today's budget controllers are still this way. No wonder a lot of EDM all sounds the same.

Said guitar amp used a cheap Antek toroid for the OPT, the French made UL84's, and power is quoted at 3% THD. Those might have been the limiting factors.

Attachments

• P1000578_x.jpg
    P1000578_x.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Amp2.X_front_x.jpg
    Amp2.X_front_x.jpg
    675.4 KB · Views: 175
  • Antek_OPT_A.jpg
    Antek_OPT_A.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 181
  • NoGlow_A.jpg
    NoGlow_A.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 184
In the meantime, ~2 years ago, I made a guitar amplifier where the output stage uses a pair of 6CW5/EL86 (EI-Niš) at an anode voltage of over 380V. The amplifier works stably with no signs of overheating or oscillation, and the output tubes show no signs of aging despite working at such a high anode voltage. Although this type of amplifier belongs to another topic, I am publishing the schematic and a couple of pictures for illustration.
25W-Trojan-2x6CW5-pp-schematic.jpg
viber_slika_2022-02-28_11-39-53-504.jpg
viber_slika_2022-02-28_11-39-51-785.jpg
viber_slika_2022-02-28_11-39-50-746.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
The primary impedance of the output transformer is Raa=4.2 kOhm, and the quiescent current of the output tubes can be seen on the diagram. The voltage measured on the cathodes of the output tubes was 20mV without a signal, and since the cathode-measuring resistor is 1 Ohm, it means that the quiescent current Ik=20mA for each tube.

Reactions: 1 user