Anybody know anything about the Adire Audio Extremis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
4kHz?

I think this driver should be kept below 1kHz... normal 1.5-2kHz resonance peak of polyprop cone - that's the reason everybody started trying to make metal and paper work... that said, I would love to shove this into a MTM... with 20 cm ribbon next to two touching Extremii... for really cool bass you could even mount two extra ones at the back... below 200Hz in large-ish sealed box... Eish for want of 1k$ or so...;)

Re: 4kHz?

agrobler said:
I think this driver should be kept below 1kHz... normal 1.5-2kHz resonance peak of polyprop cone - that's the reason everybody started trying to make metal and paper work... that said, I would love to shove this into a MTM... with 20 cm ribbon next to two touching Extremii... for really cool bass you could even mount two extra ones at the back... below 200Hz in large-ish sealed box... Eish for want of 1k$ or so...;)

Heh, did you even look at the product before injecting your vast knowledge of polyprop cones, there is no reason to keep it below 1khz.

Re: 4kHz?

agrobler said:

from Adire's website
This driver is a natural for crossing over at the 3-4 kHz range, and when used with a 2nd order electrical network at 3.5 kHz, a 6th order roll-off is achieved, meaning the transition to the tweeter is quick and comb filtering is kept to an absolute minimum. The short voice coil, aluminum former (required for something with this much linear stroke), and full copper sleeving all help to widen the bandwidth of this driver.

If the boys at Adire say this is a natural for crossing at 3.5kHz you can bet on it.:angel:

Mmmm... more ways to skin a cat

"Heh, did you even look at the product before injecting your vast knowledge of polyprop cones, there is no reason to keep it below 1khz." - Bser

I did, look at FR graph between 1 and 4 kHz... compare with FR graph below 1 kHz... didn't say it was bad, said it was typical, actually it is pretty good (better than any other poly that I've looked at), but the resonances are more pronounced than anywhere else in FR... why spoil a wonderful 40 - 1000 Hz by including something less wonderful in your response.

Sure with careful X-O design you can smooth region between 1-4 kHz, should be great. However....Just think, you can keep your X-O out of intelligence band , have a narrow front baffle and Great Bass with 2-way MTM - no lobing due to high X-O freq.

Sure you need a more (disproportionately) expensive tweeter probably ... but the woofers are worth it...

"If the boys at Adire say this is a natural for crossing at 3.5kHz you can bet on it." Timn8ter

And they are right. But I think the performance of this driver below, and above 1 kHz are not quite the same (show me what 6.5" are). This is normal... you can compensate for it (as Adire suggests with the crossover type they suggest....) Or you can avoid it alltogether... it is just a choice I would try to make... It has drawbacks of course - complex X-O - probably better with activeX-O, expensive tweeter.

:)

Attachments

• adireextremis.jpg
    adireextremis.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 277
agrobler-

On one hand, I do sort of agree with you - I am designing the x-over for the Extremis now, and the peaks/valleys in the FR above 2k are a pain. Whether they are really as bad as they seem to measure is another story entirely - from looking at the designs of other 6.5" mid-woofers, most raw data shows this raggedness, but when put in a box tends to smooth out. Personally, I don't believe the 3.5k point either, I think the speaker is too ragged by then. However, 2k-2.5k is perfectly fine.

It seems you are 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater', but I suppose we will all know in a couple weeks when the drivers are out and people have a chance to play with them.

"'throwing the baby out with the bathwater', " - Sbolin

I usually do....;)

It's just that I've been playing with my X-O for my own MTM... below 2kHz the tweeter strains, above 1.2kHz the 280mm distance between two mid centres are causing lobing... (they are 6.5 " drivers with 104,5mm flange tweet offset to one side in between...)

Result Woofer-Tweeter-FullrangeMid solution sounds best... (Glad to be lin phase active X-O) All this can be sorted with lower X-O freq... better tweet. Then I could get sub below 80 Hz... without getting another X-O board... or I could just replace my alu mid.s with Extremii and not need sub......:D

I think the passive X-O they advise on the web-site (12dB/octave at 3-3.5kHz - if I read correctly) should smooth the peaks a bit and then you use the rolloff of the mid to help get woofer very low quickly... struggle to call something that goes down to 40 Hz a mid...

P.S. maybe one could offset tweet completely to one side, or use flange overlap to get the mid centers under 200 mm from each other... - lobing only above 1700 Hz or right next to each other 170mm ->2023Hz

I noticed this on creativesound.ca today:

"The Adire Extremis 6 can now be ordered . The first shipment is 8 ohm version only; a dual vopice coil version is planned for the future. Delivery is expected early December."

Can anyone say when these drivers are going to ship? I know I'm not the only one with a lot of $$$ out there. :xeye:

what are your plans for the Extremis?

I also ordered a pair of Extremis drivers. It seems as if I'm changing my plans daily.

My primary design goal is versatility. I listen to every genre of music at both low and high volume levels. My secondary design goal is transient response. I need a fast, 'right there' sound. I'd like to stay with a sealed box design. I'd like to cross over to subs at around 60hz.

Anyway. Here's what I'm currently thinking. Any comments? What are others thinking about doing with the Extremis drivers?

Attachments

• plan.jpg
    plan.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 216
Re: what are your plans for the Extremis?

kfr01 said:
I also ordered a pair of Extremis drivers. It seems as if I'm changing my plans daily.

My primary design goal is versatility. I listen to every genre of music at both low and high volume levels. My secondary design goal is transient response. I need a fast, 'right there' sound. I'd like to stay with a sealed box design. I'd like to cross over to subs at around 60hz.

Anyway. Here's what I'm currently thinking. Any comments? What are others thinking about doing with the Extremis drivers?

Wow... what are you planning for the crossover? A five-way could be quite a challenge, but if you can master the crossover it could be a heck of a setup.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.