Any one know of a ..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there all im seeking yet another Subwoofer. i have a 15" usd sub now ( Car audio subwoofer good driver..) i am looking for a good hi excersion 10" driver any one know of one i have the power to power it but my goal is to have a ported box with a 10" 4 or 8 ohm will work..

Jason

have a look at my usd that i have now..

www.citytel.net/~jleaman

Why not try this, you might just as well do a good job of it

Hmmm, seems like car audio meets the home.

If you’re looking for a solid subwoofer driver, give http://www.blueprintdrivers.com a try. It might still be a while till they’ll have stock again, but a 1201 should do you fine. While you’re at it, give ESP a look at http://www.sound.au.com for articles, schematics and even some kits for active crossovers and amplifiers (even if it's just for inspiration). You might also consider changing your main speakers at some stage. Even though I cannot vouch for them out of experience, the following seem well designed with a strong emphasis on value.(http://www.speakerbuilder.net).

For a funky design, use speakerbuilder’s components and crossover (Parts Express), but put the woofers in an overstuffed sealed box. Then augment that with a BPD 1201 in side-firing configuration (in a 40-80l sealed box) and bi-amp at, say 250 Hz. Something like a poor man’s active NHT 3.3

What about ported enclosure .

What about ported enclosure i would like to have a ported enclosure because it goes lower and doesnt require alot of power to power it at all eg my 15" sub sounded horrible and there techs at usd suck ***.. there usless and jerks..

i would like to make small but power full that is why i said 10" - 12" any one know if a good idea of a dual 8" bandpass box..
i had a band pass 10" and it killed my 15" sealed but now that it is ported it is good..

What about ported enclosure .

What about ported enclosure i would like to have a ported enclosure because it goes lower and doesnt require alot of power to power it at all eg my 15" sub sounded horrible and there techs at usd suck ***.. there usless and jerks..

i would like to make small but power full that is why i said 10" - 12" any one know if a good idea of a dual 8" bandpass box..
i had a band pass 10" and it killed my 15" sealed but now that it is ported it is good..

www.citytel.net/~jleaman

jleaman@citytel.net

jason

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Depends on how you define "small". About the smallest I can come up with that will make a really good subwoofer is the Peerless XLS 10" 5 ohm, number 830452. This will have a 3 dB down point of 32 Hz in a 1 cubic foot box, (with a 3" diameter port), or 1.25 cubic foot box, (with a 4" diameter port).

A 3" diameter port will need to be 19" long. A 4" diameter port will need to be 34" long, and will require some PVC elbows from the building supply store to fit the port into the box. That is why you need to make the box 1.25 cubic ft if you use a 4" diameter port-it takes up more space in the box than the 3" diameter port.

The Peerless XLS 10" is about 86 dB senstive at 1 Watt, or 88.4 dB senstivive @2.83 volts.

The following graph shows the response for either of these boxes @ 1 Watt. The green line is the point at which the speaker is playing 3 dB below midpoint.

I can recommend other drivers if you want to make the box larger, say 2 cubic feet or larger. Those will go deeper than this 1 cubic foot enclosure will go.

Attachments

• peerless xls 10in 1 cu ft.png
    peerless xls 10in 1 cu ft.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,106
ok..HOw about.

ok that sounds good so i have did some calulations how about 12" x 16" x 21 " and the subwoofer on the face of the 12 x 16

Height 16"
Width 12"
Depth 21"

And the port on the back of the sub so that it is facing back..

Also here is apic of my 15" usd sub when i just got it off a friend.

Attachments

• epsn0053.jpg
    epsn0053.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,108
Joined 2001
Nice setup all round. Is that an Aerial Acoustics main speaker next to the subwoofer?

Assuming 1" thick building material, those dimensions yield a box of 1.9 cubic feet, so the Peerless XLS is out. Two 10" subs that come to mind are the Dayton Titanic Mk II and the Blueprint 1001. More about those later.

What kind of amp are you using for this, and do you have the power output into A) 4 ohms, and B) 8 ohms? Some subwoofer amps give considerably more power into 4 ohms than 8 ohms.

Joined 2001
Oops-too hasty. Actually, those outside dimensions will yield a box that is 1.5 cubic feet internal. forgot to subtact twice the thickness from the outside measurements.

The Blueprint 1001 and the Dayton Titanic MkII give almost identical performance in a 1.5 cubic foot box. The Blueprint driver is somewhat cheaper than the Titanic.

A 3" diameter port of 16" length tunes the box to 26 Hz. With these excursions-very long, 16mm-a flared port is a good idea. Available Madisound or Parts Express. Both charge $12.00
www.partsexpress.com
www.madisound.com

The Aerial Acoustic sub has an excursion of almost 2 inches. I assume that is back-to-front. These subs have an excursion of 33 mm back-to-front. That means a 3 dB theoretical difference in top volume. Don't worry, you'll never hear it. In a ported enclosure, you will not reach the limits of these subs' excursions. A ported box means your speaker only has to move 25% as much as a sub in a sealed box has to.

Blueprint 1001 is in blue, Dayton Titanic Mk II is in red. Green line is the line where output is 3 dB down from the midpoint:

Attachments

• dayton titanic 10-blueprint 1001.png
    dayton titanic 10-blueprint 1001.png
    5 KB · Views: 948
Joined 2001
Jason: Quote your page: "USD pro c 15" 700watts single voice C....powering my 15" is a yamaha fixed buy me. has peaked at 620 rms with my meter at 42.hz into the sub.. just a simple one to get it running soon to have my 800wt amp mosfet ."

Actual power has everything to do with impedance. Is there anyway you can tell me the AC current at any drive voltage at 42 Hz? If 42 Hz is an impedance peak, and your meter measures simple AC voltage, then you are not approaching 620 watts.

Joined 2001
Jason:

Okay, I'll answer my own question. I went to A. Holton's site-traced it through the "Search" of this forum-and found the construction booklet for the AV800 amp here. Here is the address for A Holton's site:
http://www.aussieamplifiers.com/index.html

It does matter if you are running a 4 ohm or 8 ohm speaker, though you can run either. Here are the specs, quoted from the construction booklet:

Specifications for the AV800 MOSFET Amplifier
All measurements were taken at an AC Mains input of 240 volts.
And with a 2kva Toroidal Transformer powering the Amplifier module.
Filtering with only 10,000uf per voltage rail
One channel only was been driven.

Frequency response 10hz to 100khz

THD measured at 100 watts into 8 Ohms 0.01% @1khz

Power Output into 8 Ohms = 450 Watts RMS

Power Output into 4 Ohms = 820 Watts RMS

Damping Factor = 400

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.