Another DIY Ribbon thread

Hello ,

how about attaching your unsolved *.FEM file to your next post so we can take a closer look on the subject?

I attached a simple simulation to this post. This is a view from the top. The ribbon must lay flat between the two magnets. The alternative current passing through the ribbon will push it in and out, perpendicular to the plane (z axis).

I am still very sceptical about introducing gaps as a solution to gain more flux , sounds too easy .

The only way to find out is to build one.

You should have noticed already that the ungapped variation to the left in your pic is completely wrong , it shows constant flux across the gap width , which is not possible physically without special treatment .
A simulation with 90deg rotated view looking from the top will show you a more realistic impression of the field distribution , stronger to the sides and weaker in the middle .

The reason why the simulation shows a constant flux across the gap width (assuming here that you mean the ribbon gap) is because of the length (y axis on the simulation) of the magnets. The longer the magnets, the more uniform the magnetic field is along the x axis in the ribbon gap. As I mentioned previously, the magnetic field becomes weaker with longer magnets. See my attached simulation.

Doing so gives two different results with the same (limited) 2D FEA analysis program , which one is "correct" ??

Decide by yourself ...

None is correct. As you mentioned, it is only a 2D simulation. As far as I know, there is no 3D simulation software that is freely available.

PS: In FEMM, one can specify the depth (in the problem definition box). Unfortunately, changing this parameter does not seem to have any effect on the computed magnetic fields.

Attachments

• magnet-length.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 101
Hi Brunob.
It is a little late,but here are more simm`s.
my.php

Here is the drawing.
my.php

my.php

Here is a graph that shows field along the red line.As you see it goes both + and-
my.php

This one is without steel in the gaps.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I dont understand why the field show reversed polarity at magnets ends gap
And neither do I understand why it shows as having even stronger field there as well

Well, it may seem more likely with the back pole iron "streching" through end gaps to the front pole
But with air gap it would seem different

Makes me wonder whether the backpole iron should be sliced/cut at magnet ends gap:scratch2:
Maybe its the backpole iron causing the polarity reversal

Though, I have the iron back pole iron mounted as in planars
and with copper as well
maybe that makes a difference

Attachments

• IMG_0363 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0363 (Large).JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_0365 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0365 (Large).JPG
    84 KB · Views: 224
  • ribbon magnet system.JPG
    ribbon magnet system.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 232
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Regarding field reversal between magnet ends

I have tried with a compas
It shows no other than a slightly bending field, but no reversal
Compas method may have flaws tho

Then I tried with a very small magnet
It appears that there may be something like a null between magnet ends
Certainly not reversed field
Or at least it is very weak

My conclusion is that the possible reversed fiel causes a near null effect, but certainly not a strong reversed field as suggested and shown by sims
Or at least not in design shown below

I claimed earlier that theres a general increase in magnet field with slighter greater gap at magnet ends
My theory is now that the null effect is there, and its spread remains the same, no matter how big your end gap is
With magnet ends closer together the null effect spreads into the magnet
Hence you get a slightly weaker field, instead of a null effect

Attachments

• IMG_0347 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0347 (Large).JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 753
I must agree with you Tinitus .I have just done a test that shows the same.I have been confused by the 3.dimension.Sometimes you see what you want to see.
I made 2 tests.The first with the end of a magnet held tangentialt to the rows and it repelled in the gaps and atracted at the magnets,but as i tried with a thin aluwire supplied with DC. it shoved that there was no differece regarding gab and magnets.
Sorry for my wrong simms,but glad that i dont have to change my magnetsystems.
Bernt "bånd"