ANN: LF01 Discrete/Hybrid Opamp Module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have finished one LF-01 module thanks to Siva ideas and worked from the first time. I have followed all the parts recomendations.
Being only one channel equipped i noticed slight modifications in the sound but i think i need to finish also the other one to have a complete opinion.
What was obvious after installed LF-01 was a higher noise from that channel. I could hear from the tweeter a louder sssssssssshhh sound. Any opinion about that noise Siva or someone else ?

Attachments

• IMG_1698.JPG
    IMG_1698.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 430
... i think i need to finish also the other one to have a complete opinion.
What was obvious after installed LF-01 was a higher noise from that channel. I could hear from the tweeter a louder sssssssssshhh sound.

Yup, you need two identical ones to assess imaging. Regarding the hiss, I haven't noticed it, but it could be EMI/RFI pickup from long and/or magnetic leads. Also check the output DC offset with the LF01 installed.

The hiss is present with or without signal but you can hear it when you put your ear close to the tweeter. I cant say is audible from my couch but the difference between channels is audible. Hope today to build the second one and hear the real difference between MyRefC and MyRefC+LF01.

I have finished the second LF01 and installed. Sounds very nice and sweet and a bit sprinsing because even sounds a bit roundish i can hear some thins better now (voices, cimbals).
Also because of this roundish sound i feel like i have lost a bit of soundstage focus.

I have the same number of sockets so that may not be the cause of the hiss. Comparing your photo to the one in the first post,the cap is the most obvious difference. Did you try to get info on the best selection for that position? Siva may be able to report how significant that is.

I have the same number of sockets so that may not be the cause of the hiss. Comparing your photo to the one in the first post,the cap is the most obvious difference. Did you try to get info on the best selection for that position? Siva may be able to report how significant that is.

For that position Siva recommended ceramic type but i managed to squeeze a FKS2 and i know this type worked better in Myref versions. I will try also a ceramic (maybe) because is so hard so swap components on that small pcb. I worked exclusively with magnifing lens. Unfortunately not all transistors are made by Toshiba and i founs also some cheap Fairchild but all of them from Mouser.

Small problem and i don't know where to look. On the left channel i have a small thump on powering On and also on powering OFF. Is not related to a specific LF module because if i roll the LF modules between channels the problem remains on the LEFT channel.
When i put back the plain LM318 the problem is gone.

*Long bump up* - several mods have been made to the LF01 (single) and LF02 (dual) over the last few years. Here's the current simulation schematic for the LF02 (one channel shown), which will also work for the LF01. Various opamps may be used, including the LT1361 and the LM6172 (in the LF02). The LF02 prototype shown in the picture is the latest, with all-Japanese low-noise BJTs, Dale MFRs in the signal path, Wima FKS02 bypass and LM6172 opamp - and it's also subjectively the best sounding so far in a 2-channel MiniRef amplifier.

Attachments

• lf02_v3.jpg
    lf02_v3.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 417
  • lf02_v3_4v1k_fft.jpg
    lf02_v3_4v1k_fft.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 397
  • lf02_v3_12x9.jpg
    lf02_v3_12x9.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.