And what did we buy today?

The MO around here is: steal keys, steal car, commit (another) crime, abandon car (with probable severe damage), repeat.
My 1991 Toyota van seems to be missing a small chuck of plastic guide in the shift mechanism. It makes getting into reverse a little rough. I sometimes consider looking for the part and then stop myself knowing it makes it harder to steal just a little bit.

A 5 digit frequency counter from Amazon to add to my new GAG-810 analog signal generator. I assembled it yesterday and it’s working! I will add a small preamplifier for extra sensitivity, a limiter (the GAG-810 may deliver up to 10 VRMS!) and a power supply. Components ordered today…

Regards, Gerrit

Attachments

• F1AC3313-627E-41B5-8E48-80CFDFE07A13.jpeg
    F1AC3313-627E-41B5-8E48-80CFDFE07A13.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 52
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Brought a few bits back from my son's student flat in The Netherlands, which I had bought whilst he was there. Wega TA-4810 VFET amp and matching T-4710 tuner,
both original boxed and perfect, (will change diodes before turn on), also a pair of Yamaha NS1000M's great condition, (fancy doing a few XO tweeks on these). Well packed and very reasonably priced. Then was down to France for a few days, (Dijon area) boiling hot. Found we all had Covid 19 on return to the UK, (Fully vaccinated), so now in lockdown for five days! (Just enough time to do the diodes on the amp and play some music. (Every cloud has a silver lining!).

Weeeee now we're talking - new lawn tractor!
They took my 80's 3 cyl diesel Kubota in trade, and I hope I didn't make a mistake.
However, this has posi-traction, handels, 52" deck, 24hp Kawasaki.

Hard to find anything like this right now, so made the deal - before its gone.

Attachments

• JD.png
    JD.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 67
A 14x60 mobile home. Well, put the $5k deposit to get it on order, due out at the end of September. It’s going to be temporary home while the new Barndo is being built. Barring disaster, the Sulphur Springs Project is a GO. I’ll start a ‘build thread’ on this once the building contract is signed.

I have officially put the cease-and-desist order on all audio projects in progress - until the new facility is in place. Gotta stop and pack everything up some time. There will be some ongoing PCB design, but that just requires a computer.

The new compound is going HERE. The shop will be far enough from neighbors’ bedroom windows and the horses will finally have enough green grass.

Attachments

• 7506C1B0-4420-4B96-B44F-07854B6A41B0.jpeg
    7506C1B0-4420-4B96-B44F-07854B6A41B0.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 69
  • DED767FC-2D08-4AEE-8C1C-C98E6F66EC47.jpeg
    DED767FC-2D08-4AEE-8C1C-C98E6F66EC47.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 65
Thanks, guys. It is only an 84 mile move - but AWAY from the direction of development. Original plan was for me to live out there in a shack for a year during the construction, and my wife to follow when I had it A/C’ed. The contractor is just putting up the shell, I’m doing the finish work. But she developed memory issues during Covid, so we have to go together. Can’t afford what they want for a turn-key these days - would be at least $150k too much, probably more on the whole compound. Mobile home is cheaper, and actually has resale value. The one I grew up sure didn’t (was a bulldozer special).

Well I tried to buy a tow dolly, but they're so darned expensive. But since I'm spending a hell of a lot of my time trying to find cars that can be affordably transported to my little corner of the world it does seem like a sensible solution. I'll probably have to build my own though.

After all components arrived I put together the 5 digit frequency counter from Amazon to add to my new GAG-810 analog signal generator.
I added a small preamplifier, two limiters and a power supply. It works with input from 50mV to 10 V (RMS) and the frequency count is from 1 to almost 100 Khz. I guess it’s somewhat limited by the audio preamplifier I used. But for audio this is good enough.

Regards, Gerrit

Attachments

• 083AD162-5130-49EA-92E2-F7E49CBBFD0F.jpeg
    083AD162-5130-49EA-92E2-F7E49CBBFD0F.jpeg
    377.4 KB · Views: 51
I bit the bullet last night and ordered all the individual parts for the towing trailer, after carefully selecting the design I wanted to build. Today I tried to order the steel tubing, only to find that 60 x 60 SHS isn't available in Australia. That's the great thing about standards, there are so many to choose from. In order not to have wasted a thousand bucks on bits I'll have to redesign it to use 65 x 65 x 4.0 SHS. :-(

Bought a few memory sticks on ebay; one for the teen's PC (He uses the **** out of it for on-line classes) to bring it to 16, two for my ancient desktop out in the garage to bring that to 8. Both purchases work just fine so far. SK hynix 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2400T-UA2-11, Elpida 4gb 2Rx8 PC3-8500U-7-10-B0. $19.66 and $5.99.

Also a Focusrite Scarlett Solo Gen 3 for $90, so I can eventually look at those BTL outputs with a decent spec RTA.