And what did we buy today?

A capacitor or two.

Attachments

• E5C18207-2D68-4EFD-AD3C-BD37972AF91C.jpeg
    E5C18207-2D68-4EFD-AD3C-BD37972AF91C.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: 1 users
I need to pick one of those up too…

I picked up a Clarion APX401.2 car amp with a couple hundred watts a channel for the car subwoofer project. It came with a dirty switch and dried out thermal grease.

Only using it bridged at about a third of its capacity, sounds great on a single IB ten, after some work on the crossover/preamp circuits.

Stuff for the smallest speakers I’ve built in over 30 years. Moving into the temp house at the new facility in 2 or 3 months, and my office will be the back bedroom of a single wide until finished/AC’ed space exists elsewhere. Microscopic is the operative word. Mains will sit on my desk and be run with a cute little 14 watt per channel tube amp. The sub goes under the desk, with a 150 watt sand amp.

In other developments I got a chance to try out my new arc welder this afternoon. Welding the anchor flanges to some fence posts that got mounted on concrete. FINALLY found a hardware store that sold the proper hardware to anchor pipe fence/railing to concrete. Not the 3/4” threaded black pipe - the 2-3/8 stuff. Needed to put up chain link and walk gates to keep the dogs on their side. You have no idea how long I’ve been looking for those. I used them to do a similar fence back when I built my last set of “small“ speakers.

Attachments

• 8C573540-EB23-4BE7-8ED6-83DE664AA882.jpeg
    8C573540-EB23-4BE7-8ED6-83DE664AA882.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 55A7FF2E-DE55-49D8-B83C-CE716707CE0A.jpeg
    55A7FF2E-DE55-49D8-B83C-CE716707CE0A.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: 1 user
Howdy folks.

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread about this, but I guess it involves a recent purchase, so here goes. Apologies if it's out of place.

I recently won an Ebay auction for a pair of stereo speakers. There were apparently no other bids, and I was pleased to get them for the minimum bid price + shipping. The next day, I got a notice that the sale had been canceled because the item was "damaged or not in stock." My debit card was credited for the full amount the same day.

I then did a search and discovered that the seller had listed these same speakers at the same price twice before, within a couple of weeks prior, and both auctions ended without a sale.

Today I got a search-hit email that this make & model was available again on Ebay. Had a look, and surprise! Here are the same speakers from the same seller again! Only difference is the minimum bid, which has been kicked up fifty bucks from the other listings.

The previous listing that I won is still there, showing as "sold," which I guess is technically correct if you squint real hard. I guess I'll be checking my bank balance frequently to make sure no other spurious weirdness arises from this. But I'm curious as to what you might think is going on here? I'm not an Ebay seller or even a frequent buyer. This sure smells like some kind of scam to me, but I can't see the angle.

Jim

Last edited:
The previous listing that I won is still there, showing as "sold," which I guess is technically correct if you squint real hard. I guess I'll be checking my bank balance frequently to make sure no other spurious weirdness arises from this. But I'm curious as to what you might think is going on here? I'm not an Ebay seller or even a frequent buyer. This sure smells like some kind of scam to me, but I can't see the angle.

This is pretty standard behavior when they want more money. They can just tell ebay the item is lost or damaged,
cancel the sale, and later relist the item.

There is also a bank card data capture angle, be careful, use a two step verification, with a one time password sent to your e-mail or cell phone.
Do not use your phone for net banking, use a different device than the one that gets your passwords.
And set your no-verification limit on the card to $10 or zero, and time limit for those to one per hour (to prevent hacking from wireless capture).

Another factor may be the commissions may vary with price, e-bay and the payment system will require some fee...last I checked, PayPal was at 10% levels.

But this behaviour is indeed...peculiar.
The item must be in the $200 or so range, not really worth listing repeatedly...

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Howdy folks.

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread about this, but I guess it involves a recent purchase, so here goes. Apologies if it's out of place.

I recently won an Ebay auction for a pair of stereo speakers. There were apparently no other bids, and I was pleased to get them for the minimum bid price + shipping. The next day, I got a notice that the sale had been canceled because the item was "damaged or not in stock." My debit card was credited for the full amount the same day.

I then did a search and discovered that the seller had listed these same speakers at the same price twice before, within a couple of weeks prior, and both auctions ended without a sale.

Today I got a search-hit email that this make & model was available again on Ebay. Had a look, and surprise! Here are the same speakers from the same seller again! Only difference is the minimum bid, which has been kicked up fifty bucks from the other listings.

Jim

How about complaining to eBay?

This happened to me around 2005... the same thing... I made a good faith offer, over the reserve, but the seller went and ignored my offer, closed the sale and opened a new one.

So, I complained. The seller got banned.

But that was in 2005... nowadays, the greed on eBay is palpable on all sides, so I seldom use it.

I recently bought some fake NE5532 opamps on eBay from a local seller who I previously thought had a reasonable reputation. I wouldn't buy these on eBay normally, but this Australian seller has been around (and with a bricks and mortar store) since before eBay was a thing.

When I found they were fake, I advised the seller and they didn't even question it - they immediately refunded my money without even asking anything and without asking for them to be returned. I though it was peculiar they weren't asking questions, but oh well I got my money back.

But a day later on a forum somewhere I was reminded that a refund prevents you from leaving negative feedback.

Sellers are getting good at working the system...clearly this seller knew what he was selling and was just hoping that most buyers wouldn't pick up they were non-genuine. Anyway, the seller is off my list...

Reactions: 1 user
I bought this lethal critter, a 25v to 3kv psu, 400ma at full output, it is used in DNA research??? To do something?
I have long time wished a high voltage psu, but man the dedicated ones cost a small fortune, and it's just for some hobby tube testing.
It can do constant voltage. Constant current, and constant watt.
I just powered it up, it needs to have load connected to output, a constant current draw of minimum 0.0002 amps,
It worked nicely, I used a old multimeter to start with, cos this thing can easily destroy meters if faulty, electronically or user wise, so my old gossen meter maxed out at 750 volt which it did nicely.
I paid 100 usd for it, I think that's a nice deal, wonder what it cost back in the day, I can see several brown dale resistors, 4kv spraugue caps and other expensive stuff, unit looks clean, no funny smell or bulged caps, so will put lid back on and scrub it down, might find a new fan, it's quite noisy, but again small fans often are.
20240111_095841.jpg
20240111_095925.jpg

Last edited: