And what did we buy today?

I don’t know, I generally don’t put too much stock in claims that make no sense. What I have found is that sitting at the desk “with my leg elevated like I’m supposed to” cuts off circulation - defeating the purpose entirely. Not being in one position for more than half an hour seems to be the biggest help of anything.
Man can I ever relate. I look at the endless stream of Mouser orders over a years time, and the shipping would pay the rent. Thing is, the body won't allow what it used to, so it is a sort of therapy for me.
I’ve decided that the 5kW class H monster project (four to eight units) made the cut for projects to be completed in this lifetime since the smaller prototype was working, and the BOM is already heavily invested. Mouser is going to be busy. Still waiting on the 125 SUP90142 mosfets for the DC protect circuit. Since January last year. Latest ship date is this December. We’ll see. They move it around weekly. I’d like another two tubes of MJL21194. Expecting more next year. Makes no sense to order before the move. Need some more special order screw terminal caps - long lead time. Again, doesn’t make sense to order till I’m at the new address and will stay there. Prior to my little injury I was supposed to be moving this weekend.

I don’t know, I generally don’t put too much stock in claims that make no sense.
There's plenty of things that work, but are not (or have not) been understandable at the outset. It's pretty understandable that as we build ourselves out and above that dirty 'ol soil, maintain that state 100% of the time, that there just might be an unanticipated consequence. Given that for a million years or so, we as a species had an electrical conductive connection to the earth's surface via our feet - and in the last 100 or so "we know better" with our plastic shoes on plastic flooring and zero attention paid to the matter.

Sure we do...

It's trivially easy to try and you did say you'd try anything at this point. You seem like the type that has some spare wire around; it's cement half A to half B easy.

I noticed those pads I was using read in the 100s of k if not meg Ohms from the connection to the surface where it goes against the skin. Found some brassy looking wooly stuff my wife brought home from the lab 10 years ago, I guess they used it to clean soldering iron tips. Found it'd take on a solder connection. Found it's resistance is more like zero. Got a couple wads of the stuff under my toes in a two wool socks - with a wire coming out - connected to - you guessed it - ground. It's not even uncomfortable to wear.

We'll see.

Man can I ever relate. I look at the endless stream of Mouser orders over a years time, and the shipping would pay the rent. Thing is, the body won't allow what it used to, so it is a sort of therapy for me.
I have stopped using mouser as they no longer ships low volumes of resistors.
Mouser has a very good BOM-page where my projects was located. But as they no longer are complete i see
no gain in shopping mouser anymore.

Why would one ever buy resistors in onsey twoseys? I need one, I buy a pack. Then design that value into whatever it’s possible to. You end up with one cabinet of 1/4 watt resistors, 20 or 30 values you use over and over. I never think of any one project - I think what I’m going to use over 10, 20 years. At least in terms of the penny ante commodity stuff.

Goes back to my pet peeve from work. At one time they used to have a P-card and a budget for the test lab. Need something from Mouser? Order it. Running low on 4 pin header or .01 uF 0603’s? Put a batch on the next order. Have actual stock in the lab when you NEED it. Everything got done with a minimum of fuss, very little time and money overall. Now? Not a damn thing. Bean counters want to control every piece of inventory, including NON DELIVERABLE items. Requisition every stinking capacitor and screw from corporate. Not in inventory? No stock number? Get it created through Component Engineering - in about 5 days. The pennies they save on inventory are eaten up with paperwork and employee overhead - not to mention taking their time away from stuff that corporate is tracking with their stinking metrics. Nothing beats having the cheap stuff you need day to day IN YOUR HAND.

And NO, last time I checked, non deliverable internal use items did NOT have to have ISO-9000 traceability on them. Just hardware delivered to spec to a customer.

Reactions: 1 user
I do order singular items if there is only one in a device. Keeping all items needed in i BOM will make life
easy when i need to refresh stock, if i want 10 units i just order 10 units a a particular BOM and i have
everything i need for building 10 units.
Mouser however removed this possibility so i'm back at collecting everything at various suppliers. Needless to say that i
use local suppliers then.
Mouser, good bye !

Around here, Mouser is as close as one can get to a local vendor. The last place you could go in the DFW area to just walk in an buy a resistor or cap without paying $1.75 markup for a three cent item closed it’s doors right befire covid (owner retired). Overpriced blister pack NTE resistors and their potentially fake $6.99 transistors, no thank you. I’ll order a whole pack from somewhere online.

Reactions: 1 user
If you walk 5 miles from my house, there is nothing more to see. You get what you can in quantities that you don't really need at the time and are glad you did maybe 5 years later. With the RCA jacks for example, I try to make my order of at least 16 at a time. Many of my unit require at least 8 of those at a time, but it gets expensive so that is a consideration. Penny parts however are another story. 50 resistors at a time if the price is right.
It can be ridiculous though. There are many parts sitting unused maybe because I have changed directions for building over the years.

There are many parts sitting unused
ebay! But you gotta net at least $10 to even bother, right?

I bought a Cadet "Hot One" 220V space heater for the garage at a yard sale. They put this God-awful plug on it with the opposite blade flipped horizontal from any 20A socket I happen to have. New plug to fit the socket I have, or new socket to fit the plug on it doubles the cost of the whole thing. Such an innocuous little thing too - thought I'd just plug it it - nope. It's 30 deg out there today... Ah, the satisfaction of Snip 'n toss to the garb can!

Yeah, cut the ground prong off and stick it in the wrong socket backwards…..
Well, I cut the plug and wired on a 220 plug with ground pin and both blades horizontal. I now have a running heater...

It wasnt that easy. The Hubbel plug had a metal case attached to the strain relief, which made a spring contact to the ground wire. Reluctant to just whimsically grab onto that, I got my DMM and measured from there to the breaker box case. That was fine, but my old jittery fingers somehow poked the needle tip probe (that happened to be on that DMM) past the strain, into the hole, through the jacket of the black wire and of course making simultaneous contact with the metal shell. That blew off the probe tip, welded the rest of it to the shell. No safety glasses nor Hasmat suit like we had to wear at Amzn to touch anything over 48V.

A probability I wouldnt make up if it were fiction. Back apart it all comes, restrip everything - oops - now the strain relief is on the wires, not the jacket.

Back apart for a 3rd try. Make the wires shorter, get white and black in place, but green just wont go in without fray. Solder the wire tip; the screws have these square washers that will only fall away if it's upside down. A little "Moribund the Burgermeister" going on with "Mother! I say you will" cranking that wire around to fit with pliers. Got the 3rd iteration together, measured 0.0 again (I'm flipping the main panel breaker each time I plug in) and this time, I'm confident to just grab that metal shell and unplug it.

Last edited:
Hope you’ve got it working by now, sure isn’t getting any warmer, that’s for sure!
Thanks. I did. Came with no bracketry, so I DIY'd it to the studs with a couple lengths of 4X9 aluminum sheets. More Moribund, as the bracket edge knocked out the spring captive nut as I was hoisting it in place and I lost it. The nut, that is, for a spell ;')

After getting it in place, I noticed the rubber washers that provide friction need to be between the two surfaces and that aint happening with just one free hand. Maybe if I try one side at a time, with it still hanging from the other, to squeak it in between there.

Makes that space more livable in about an hour run time!

Today I received "EMF Protection Pure Copper Fabric-Blocking RFID Radiation Singal Wifi EMI EMP RF" a 117" x 43" sheet for ~$33 shipped from ebay. Split it with my wife to make two ~58" sheets. Was able to solder to it at 215 C. Painted some water based poly about 1/4" around the periphery, to help reduce possible fraying. I'll try it, just under the cotton bottom fitted sheet to start. They're in place and connected to my previously purchased and installed earth ground rod tonight.

Lots of papers on it, such as; https://www.scirp.org/Journal/PaperInformation.aspx?PaperID=58836

You could have used 24 mesh wire screen, in about 0.25 or less wire diameter (about 10 thousandths of an inch).
An insect screen in metal wire will work, it is basically a Faraday cage in function.
Crimp it to a lug, use copper or galvanized wire to conduct energy.
Keep it under the mattress, so it does not flex and fray.

There is something called Mouringa juice, claimed to be a natural pain and inflammation reliever.
Also try turmeric powder in warm milk, with or without sweetening, good for healing.

Thanks Naresh,

This coppery cloth is probably impossible to find locally, as is anything that's not home renovation specific - these days, here in America. Back when I was a kid / in college you could easily go pick up a pack of 5, 10K resistors from Radio Shack, but no more.

And the next town over is cookie-cutter identical, in terms of finding something odd, like a cloth you could sleep on comfortably, that happens to be conductive. Ebay is my only source for such a raw material shipped from another one of the states, then Alibaba to pay less but wait for it longer.

it is basically a Faraday cage in function.
I've already kidded with my wife "You know those 4 post beds? - Maybe I do the 4 sides, top and bottom with this stuff!" Wouldnt hurt, except maybe getting in and out of the thing in the middle of the night ;')

Actualy, those 4 post beds were used to support drapes or mosquito nets, which were cotton in the old days, nd that has some properties which are not found in synthetic fabric, like static resistance for example.

The long fiber Pima cotton was so good that my uncle used to get bed spread sets from the USA on his trips there...

A friend of mine makes jumbo bags in plastic, he puts a conductive fibre every twenty or so reels in warp and weft, the fabric becomes anti static...
I wonder if such a material is available for use on a four poster bed, thin wire may be too stiff for daily folding.