And what did we buy today?

I got a new workstation/bench.
Now I'm in the process of changing the universe in here to make it work for me.
Have you ever had such a mess on your bench that you just wanted to arm it off (use your forearm to sweep the surface like a broom) into the garbage?
Been clearing up my workbench areas and all the component boxes. I've been at it for two weeks and it doesn't seem to end.

Reactions: 1 users
So unlike Ikea that take the time to bother with instructions, this bench was remarkably bad. DeWalt printed the instructions in English, Spanish, and French using 8 pages. The print is smaller than a prayer book, and vague doesn't start to describe it. If you've ever read a Haynes manual that said "Simply remove the bolts" you'll know what I mean!
I had to snap a photo and zoom in to read it (because a good magnifying glass is expensive and the phone is here already).

It's built now but now I have to move the world to make everything fit again. Of course it's a concrete wall and it's (was) 00h56 here right now so the hammer drill is out until tomorrow and I'll just have to live with it.

Parts for a TSE-II (Tubelab Single End PCB). Most of them any way. Mouser and Digi Key were out of the sand parts. I did find Arrow had two possible subs for the V-Reg (MIC29502WT) and ordered them (TPS 75601KC) to see if they will be a second source. I still need some fets to replace the STF3LN80K5.

Also purchased a Landfall Chassis for the 300B that has been on a sheet of plywood for a year.

I got it built. Now the process of sorting and putting things in their new place.
1670645298752.png

Reactions: 4 users
A week earlier it was a stack of DN2540s in TO-92 format since it makes no difference at the bottom of a CCS stack. Instead of unavailable DN2540s in TO-220 for the upper a pile of DN2535s to be used with series resistors to limit SD voltage. So far find a way around the shortages.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I bougth a while ago, a pair of batteries to replace the xxx years old 2Ah batteries of my Makita drill. What i bougth, sold as 4Ah, turned out to be crap, useless fresh out of the box. 55€ bougth me today the addional pleasure of driving xxkm just to deliver this junk to a recycling station. Before that i went trough the trouble to find out what is wrong. After multiple "wake up" charging/discharge cycles and under only 5 ohm load the voltage fell from 14V to 10V after 15min. This is only 0,6Ah, close to nothing really. Both batteries measured approximatly the same. Contacting the seller only added to my frustration because instead of acting responsible he came up with all kind of foul excuses, like "Your measurement is wrong, we use a different measurement method".
I asked him has the number 4 a different meaning in china, or the internationally equally defined ampere, or do your clocks run so much faster? Got no answer and felt cheated. Aliexpress stepped in and accepted my complain, but returned only half of what i payed. Propable because only the unit price was shown clearly on the order and they missed the fact that i had bougth 2.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
whiteout type ribbons for a more recent typewriter
What is "recent"?

The 1932 Royal is sluggish. The 1979 Olympia, I managed to clean to a point that she can make misteaks. I remember a Selectric which would spot-lift any character (that 1-pass ribbon ink didn't stick good), and later electronic machines which would remember the last (or recent) characters and could be told to apply a white ribbon.

On this Olympia, the black side of the ribbon is for making typos and the white side is for covering them up. This is not an factory or automatic function: we will put the ribbon selector on "red" to engage the white side of the ribbon, backspace to the tipo, type the wrong character again, switch back to black, and type some other letter.

I was a little surprised she found WiteOut (generic). Someone still buys it. But the white ribbon is a slicker fix.
witeribbon.jpg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Olympia-SM9-Typewriter-Ribbons-Black-White-Correction-Tape/472006484
Olympia SM9 Typewriter Ribbons (Black & White Correction Tape)

Reactions: 1 user
What is "recent"?

The 1932 Royal is sluggish. The 1979 Olympia, I managed to clean to a point that she can make misteaks. I remember a Selectric which would spot-lift any character (that 1-pass ribbon ink didn't stick good), and later electronic machines which would remember the last (or recent) characters and could be told to apply a white ribbon.

On this Olympia, the black side of the ribbon is for making typos and the white side is for covering them up. This is not an factory or automatic function: we will put the ribbon selector on "red" to engage the white side of the ribbon, backspace to the tipo, type the wrong character again, switch back to black, and type some other letter.

I was a little surprised she found WiteOut (generic). Someone still buys it. But the white ribbon is a slicker fix.

Ah, never had one of those. My brother had a Brother with a black/red ribbon and later a Selectric, and my dad had an electronic typewiter with both black ribbon and spool of whiteout.

Selectric, that’s those golf ball print head things isn’t it? I’d love a golf ball head printers that can be computer driven, but I think they’re extinct. You can’t even search ebay for them, you just get printers for printing onto golf balls 🙄

Attachments

• EAEB604B-E767-4B11-B904-795EFC6BE5E0.gif
    EAEB604B-E767-4B11-B904-795EFC6BE5E0.gif
    3.5 MB · Views: 53