And what did we buy today?

I have been using jlcpcb for a few years now, no need to look at another vendor for what I am doing. Tat is about a week, very reasonable. I would have no business if I used a local pcb supplier do to costs. Huge industry wide shortages on parts, esp semis and ecaps

Last edited:
I bought an Ibanez GA5 classical guitar off Seattle Goodwill via ebay. First acoustic guitar purchase in maybe 15 years.

Tuning it up (like tightening down cylinder head bolts...) it comes alive, rings like a bell and growls like a piano. Smoothe as one of those buttery power supplies...

If this guitar was an amplifier, it'd definitely be tube; sound is so warm. Spent about $100 and couldnt be happier with it! Even knowing only 3 - 5 chords, anyone would be missing out on somethin', not having one of these around the house.

Last edited:
Two new purchases

Set of new tires for a rare lawn-tractor, Kubota G6200H, it's built like a tank.

Powerful mini power washer, looked and looked, found this at Sams.
Katie lock the barn door!!! - it's powerful
Yes now I can clean the mini tractor.

MegaShot 3400 PSI at 2.4 GPM KOHLER SH270 Cold Water Pressure Washer - Sam'''s Club

G6200.png

Who needs 3400PSI for house hold work? At 2030, our little SunJoe is more than enough to clean the driveway and concrete pavers; it comes with adjustable fan width tips and detergent dispenser.

My old iPad Air was starting to act really crazy, losing up to 30% of a full charge within an hour, and randomly powering off, so it was time to replace. Was tempted towards the new Air with A14, but chickened out and went with just a Gen8 with 128GB storage. Nice step up in performance and battery life; still running on initial charge from yesterday evening, and am at 64%. Must say that it’s almost child’s play to transfer between the old and new.
Wish I had an excuse to try an M1 based Pro, but for a retired old fart I think that would’ve been a bridge too far

On his first Black Friday, I took my grandfather to our nearby Wal-Mart. I wanted a laptop and he wanted the $98 television. Keep in mind that this is a normal Wal-Mart, not a "Super" Wal-Mart (buy some outfits online from this merch). I wanted a new laptop because the one I purchased for college had reached the end of its useful life and it was time to replace it. The television was intended for Grandpa's bedroom. The well-organized chaos pleasantly amazed me. We were in at 6 p.m. and out by 7 p.m., with no pushing or shoving and a well-organized shop.

Musical Fidelity V-Link II, USB to S/PDIF box, asynchronous 24/96. $40 at Salvation Army (forgot to use the 20% off coupon). It's now the single most expensive part of my current audio setup ($20 DacMagic, DIY T-amp based on a $7 TA2024 board, Minimus 7 speakers from Salvation Army).
I'm not convinced it makes an audible improvement listening to '90s breakbeat hardcore.

Hi Chris,

I have a few HP 3478A DMM's, excellent for a small lab, as you said before no good for tubes, 300V limit but who needs that accuracy for tubes? :)
Iiirc the 8901B was a 8901A with the 436B type power meter so it could use the same sensors. I used a 8902A, the cats a$$, since it had the special low level sensor, we used it to test RF sources, like to cal RF SG's, check attenuators etc
Before the 8902 came out we used 436 with an 8484A sensor which got you down to -70dBm. For 1uV levels we used calibrated radio receivers. I do wonder if there is anything new that has the 8902's capabilities, need to look ...
I have two 8901A's since they are cheap enough, both work and have 10MHz ovens.
Have a 11715A that is used to checkout the 8901's etc. I use it for its FM 88-108M capabilities, that and a JFW 50P stepped attenuator. 8904A as my stereo multiplex gen
Have fun, be safe
Rick

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Rick,
Yes, I really wanted an 8902x, but I will take what I can get. I use a 10 MHz reference oscillator disciplined to the GPS system (T Bolt) and an HP 5087A distribution amplifier.

Darn thing has rear connectors (8901B), pain in the rear - literally! The 3457A is used mostly for kelvin resistance measurements as it is limited to 300 VDC as well. I do have a 3456A and some newer Keysight bench meters that can handle tube voltages. Good thing, since I work with tubes as well.

Your 8904A looks interesting.

Know anyone who wants a Gigatronics 6100 oscillator? This one starts at 2 GHz and does not cover the frequencies I need. Just a couple in the GPS band, so this one needs to go.

-Chris

8902A are $$$$, tough to find, for sure
You can change 8901A, B??? to a front panel connector panel, if you can find one. or I think you can drill/punch the necessary holes through the existing one, move the connectors from the back to the front, plug up the new air leak holes in the back. Not sure if the internal cables can be used for both, I'd say probably knowing HP, have to check. I have the same issues, I just run some permanent cables up front.
If you get a 8904A make sure it is a later s/n 2940U and up ???? option 001, need to check
I do not know anyone in need of test equipment

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Rick,
Thanks. I have found the same wrt finding an 8902. I don't have anything I can rob to make the 8901 a front panel connector. I did the same as you with the 8901A, so I can use the same setup. I would just rather have the front panel connectors.

I just bought a Keysight N9310A RF generator. I always keep my eyes open for something I can make my life easier with, and replacing other less quality generators is high on my list. Stereo FM generators are difficult to find as quality units.

-Chris