And what did we buy today?

A 4 TB HDD which may not be needed. After taking out a "dead/unresponsive" 2 TB HDD and testing it in an external enclosure it seems to be working fine. Could easily be the SATA cable came a bit unstuck on the PCB. I did replace my existing data HDD with an SSD the previous day. Will dig around inside the PC later on in the day. Oh well! The HDD is already 7 years old.

Aand.. a new portable drive on Black Friday offer landed in my backpack safely transported home in a four wheeled carbon roller, yay. :)

Still waving between whether I should get a wide 3440x1440 34" or a 4k 32" display, not going to do gaming though..

@ferret

You might want to check your drive with CrystalDiskInfo, that's the piece of SW to go with when checking drives, it will also find and read out SMART data.

Crystal Dew World

nostalgia got the better of me

I regret having sold many years ago my first SLR and so I bought the exact same model once again. And it will get used as I’m a regular film user. Having travelled with my old X-500 all those years ago I’ve yet to find a camera that’s as nice to use, even my Leica M3 (although never used them side by side).

Attachments

• A452ACE3-46BD-43D9-A89A-60CEABCFE2E1.jpeg
    A452ACE3-46BD-43D9-A89A-60CEABCFE2E1.jpeg
    252.1 KB · Views: 197
Let's se ...
20kg fine concrete (powder)
One paper tube 190mm dia
One paper tube 150mm dia
1 litre paraffine oil
1 small container red concrete paint (to be mixed with the concrete)
Two Dayton Audio PS95-8 3,5 will appear on Monday

This will be very funny .... and sloppy!!!

Also got myself a coffeemachine, some nice coffeebeans and the most superb confiture ...

Attachments

• IMG_20201128_113945_230.jpg
    IMG_20201128_113945_230.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 136
  • influensa.jpg
    influensa.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 135
Despite the constant deluge of Black Friday "deals" trying to pry my wallet open, I had not spent any money this season......until I sat down at my PC last evening to watch some random Youtube videos.

A shiny red object appeared on my screen making cool sounds. It promised 12 voice polyphony and it could be built for less than $100 USD including the shiny red faceplate. Realizing that it uses the same technology as the past two synths I have made, I guessed that I already have most of the parts.

Before the 3 minute video had ended, I had ordered the PC board and panel from the US site for $46.

Later last night I went through the BOM and ordered the small stuff that I didn't have on hand from Mouser. Total Mouser spend, $29.

I will make the outer housing from scrap wood, so the total cost with taxes and shipping should be about $90.

ElectroTechnique TSynth - Teensy 4.1 based DIY Synthesizer - YouTube

The web site has a link to the Github page containing all the schematics, source and object code, and mechanical files for a cabinet.

RESELLERS | ElectroTechnique TSynth

Fireplace insert (wood burning stove). I have wanted one for about 7 or 8 years. Finally had the money to do it.

There's nothing like a good fireplace insert. My in-laws used one for over 30 years and only recently switched to forced-air heat (they're getting up in years and cutting firewood was becoming more difficult for them). It still sees use, just not as frequently. Enjoy! :)

A shiny red object appeared on my screen making cool sounds.

Lately my tendencies have gravitated toward shiny gold/silver/nickel objects that make cool (but repetitive) sounds. After acquiring several pocketwatches, I jumped off the cliff and purchased a 1960s-era Bulova automatic-wind wristwatch. The seller claims it was "serviced" three years ago, but I don't place a lot of faith in that - especially since there is a missing case clip in one of the pictures. We'll see. It should be a good entry-level wristwatch for practice regardless.

Note: Links removed from Tubelab's quote for soundbrigade's benefit. :D

The Teensy based synthesizers that I have designed and built are 6 note polyphonic because my favorite MIDI controller has six strings.

I have an old Roland GI-10 Guitar to MIDI interface from the mid 90's. I got it used on Ebay in the early 2000's for about $100. It seems that they are still fetching about the same $100 today. I have not explored any newer stuff.

The Roland uses a hexaphonic pickup on the guitar that has a separate output for each string. It uses a fat 13 pin cable from the guitar to the box, and standard DIN MIDI out of the box to your synth. I ran mine to my KORG DW-8000 synth back then and It was playable, but there is a noticeable delay between the straight guitar output and the synth output when both were played simultaneously through a stereo amp.

Now my aging fingers don't shred like they did 20 years ago, so the delay doesn't seem so bad. The DW-8000 died years ago, so the GI-10 feeds a Behringer Deepmind desktop synth today. It may be faster than the old KORG was.

I was midway through the design and build of a custom guitar with a wired neck. Each fret was wired to a microprocessor input, as was each string. I had all of this working, and was experimenting with a phase locked loop concept to track the string frequencies to generate pitch bend info when my engineering career came to an abrupt end in 2014 and I had 3 weeks to pack up everything and move 1200 miles. It's all still in a big box on the shelf. I have not opened that box since Florida, but many of the other project boxes seem to be missing stuff, some of which has turned up in the strangest places, some is probably lost forever.

The idea of restarting that project has kept me from looking at newer guitar to MIDI equipment, but I guess I need to make up my mind, because there is a dissected Stratocaster in that box that I took apart nearly 10 years ago.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
There's nothing like a good fireplace insert. My in-laws used one for over 30 years and only recently switched to forced-air heat (they're getting up in years and cutting firewood was becoming more difficult for them). It still sees use, just not as frequently. Enjoy! :)

We are enjoying it very much so far!

Normally our furnace cycles on at least 2 times (usually 3) an hour from November till March. With this stove going, the furnace simply doesn't come on except in the very early morning before I get the fire going - and it is so warm we are wearing shorts and t-shirts.

All of that for about 8 to 10 modest chunks of Douglas fir per day, which is free for the taking where I live - and with this stove it burns cleaner than Natural Gas. Who knew?

10 bags of fuel pellets for my pellet stove. I have 14 bags left over from last year.

It looks like I will start using it tomorrow. Low tonight 27F, High tomorrow 31F, low tomorrow night 14F. Chance of snow as well.

Gotta pull some plants in. Looks like I should harvest the Kale as well. The bunch onions should survive.

Just ordered some new binding posts to replace the ones on the BSS EPC780 that I bought at couple weeks ago. I don't know why people feel the need to use a channelock on binding posts, but these are pretty buggered up.

TBH, it's probably stupid to be doing cosmetic stuff at this point, since I haven't gotten the amp working yet and if you aren't familiar with the EPC780, I recommend looking up the schematic. I believe it is the most complicated amplifier ever designed for audio. Prove me wrong.

A quad of SG-2S Ruskie regulator tubes, 0A3 equivalents for the screen supply of a 6LU8 pentode SE. Surprised by the bright orange glow instead of the familiar soft purple but I prefer it.

6LU8? Is that the compactron version of the LR8? Got a quad of those I haven’t played with yet. Just got a 150-0-150 transformer to make 400/200 for the plate/screen. Less drop in the screen regulator. I was thinking P-P pentode at the time.