And what did we buy today?

Went to Dupont, Wa - where I used to work - for a morning hike with wife and teenager down to the puget sound waters. By coincidence they were having their town wide yearly yard sale. Normally, I'd bike through the whole town most of the day, but got to stop at one this year.

Wearing P100 respirator masks, wife and I have a look. As I just discover paper bags full of classical CDs, she's headed back to the car. Grab 5 for a buck each -

RCA Victrola Rimsky-Korsakov Russian easter overature Borodin In the steppes of cental asia Boston Pops / Arthur Fiedler 1957
RCA Red Seal Ravel Daphnis et Chloe Suites Lorin Maazel Wiener Philharmoniker
EMI Beethoven Symphonien 2&8 Wolfgang Sawallisch / Royal Conertgebouw Orchestra
Deutche Grammophon Hayden Symphonies N0 53 ... No 73 .. No 79 Orpheus Chamber Orchestra
EMI Tchaikovsky Symphony No 6 Op 74 "Pathetique" Celibibache Munchen Philharmoniker

I also picked up a Starbucks style espresso machine with the integrated grinder for $5. Came with two portafilers. Pump was shot, but the portafilters are valuable sales on ebay ;')

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Gen 3, I paid $148 including shipping, this thing is a bargain!

Wish I could get one that cheap! I killed my Gen1 (digital section only) a couple of weeks ago, I think by accidentally shorting the phantom power. Haven't been able to fix it as yet (and may not be able to).

So it's looking like I need to get a new one, but in Aus it's $329 for a gen 3.

Tony.

Just arrived today . . . actually purchased a few days ago.

Some 9 mH coils for low pass filter on an 18" open baffle project.
Tomorrow, I'll replace the 3 smaller ones connected together for testing.
;)

Attachments

• monster_coils.jpg
    monster_coils.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sorry to hear that, are you sure it not just the preamp section? They ought to have input protection to avoid that kind of thing.

The preamp is fine. I can use mic and set the monitor switch and it sends it to the output. I've traced all the way though with a scope, signal gets to the cirrus logic DAC/ADC and then stops dead. It comes up on the computer fine, the computer thinks it is working, but no input or output.

Apparently they added additional input protection in the 2nd Gen. All the stuff I've been able to find suggests cmos switch or one of the input opamps, but they are all working fine, just the DAC/ADC seems to be dead.

Tony.

Last edited:
Is the Cirrus Logic available in Mouser or similar suppliers? what kind of packaging is it? too hard to replace by hand or with a hot air gun? You might still be able to salvage your Scarlett for a low price.

How did you damage it?

BTW I looked at your photos, I really liked them, great work!

Last edited:
nothing!

I noticed some holes in the bottom of my barbeque it’s an old charcoal barbeque and time for a new one so on my way back home from the office I popped into the local ginormous hardware store and had a look around. walking in the door it was nice to be back in the bricks and mortar kind of store after buying everything online for quite some time during the lockdown and I remarked to the member of staff helping me but it was nice not to be buying online and supporting the local store. I need a new charcoal barbeque I said you know the one with a little table on the side. oh sorry sir we seem to be out of stock perhaps we can order it online for you. and this isn’t the first time I’ve been into a bricks and mortar store to find they don’t have what I want. I will never again feel guilty about buying online regardless of how quickly the bricks and mortar stores go out of business.

Sounds like you had a Europa?

No, but a couple coworkers had them. I often helped out with the usual mechanical stuff.

One guy was a diehard Lotus fan with two Europas and a Super Seven which he raced.

The other guy, a hoarder and car "collector" bought a dead Europa cheap. I remember helping him push it into his barn in the late 70's, and doing some minor troubleshooting. 20 some years later he sees me driving my first car to work one day and says he want's it. I told him that I would drive by his place to see what he had to trade me for it. The barn is now an indoor junkyard with everything from dead cars to old computers and other electronics, piled up in some places to heights of six feet or more. I ask about the Lotus, and he points to a pile of junk in the middle of the barn and says it's under there....roughly where I had left it 20 years earlier. I make a deal to swap my running but rusty hot rodded 1949 Plymouth for a 60's vintage Scott 272 amp and matching tuner with obvious damage from being tossed in with the junk.

The Scott wound up being my main stereo for a few years, and was the motivator for me to return to tube amp building. I wound up selling it for $800 a few years ago. My old car sat motionless right where I left it for several years, until a battle with the city code enforcement office got it and several other cars towed out of his yard.

I have worked on all sorts of automotive machinery British, German, Japanese, and American, but almost all of my project cars were American muscle with big V8 engines, except for a several year detour involving a fascination with Chrysler 2.2 L FWD cars and BIG turbo boost, and some help from a guy named Shelby.