And what did we buy today?

My mail carrier was like Santa Claus today. I recently ordered a whole bunch of stuff to build a small Eurorack modular synthesizer, and a big portion arrived today in many interesting little boxes.

This rack will mostly act as a supplement to the synth gear I've already collected, to fill out the selection of modules and add some cool stuff that I've wanted for a long time. It's going into a modified Hammond chassis case with walnut end panels. I feel like a kid building Heathkits again, but with surface-mount parts this time around! Fun we are having now. :)

Last edited:
The speaker switch that I built in Florida used junkyard quality automotive relays. 12 volt coil 10 to 30 amp contacts, just right for the job. Unfortunately it's still in a box somewhere, or lost forever. I haven't seen it since Florida, two moves ago.

Ah yes, but then I would need 40 relays instead of 10 :D

I do use automotive relays (40A) to switch power in most of my amps though.

Last edited:
The monitors were supposed to ship from Staples between Mar 27 and Apr 7. They have not shipped yet....

So last night I ordered a pair of monitors ... and they expect to ship Monday, and I expect delivery early next week (I think the vendor is here in Montreal, or nearby).

I was wrong about that last part, they shipped from BC and I got them today (had to walk to drugstore with Canada Post outlet and lug them back, but a brace of 24" monitors is not too much to handle).

Mirabile dictu! Sweet mother of all that is holy, I can see what I'm doing!

Still no word from Staples, they have not acknowledged my order cancellation. At this point I don't care. I think next weekend I'm going to rent a car and pack up my stuff and haul a$$ back to NS until the office reopens. If the monitors from Staples are delivered I will accept them and return them unopened when their store is open for business. If not, they will eventually be returned by Canada Post, I assume.

BTW this old Dell Optiplex is nice, SSD for the OS and 16GB RAM and an Intel Core-i7, plus a 1TB hard drive and even a DVD drive!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Gareth,
Yeah, pretty much. I do that too.

Just ordered a USB stick / mem card playing thing for $15 from Banggood. Probably sounds like scrap, but I just can't believe they can sell this technology *- with remote -* for what they are listed for. There are less expensive ones too! You can get them with LCD colour displays for $3 some-odd US. They run on 12 VDC and so scream boat or RV use. For me, test bench use for music while I work might be nice.

-Chris

A box full of tubes. 20200429_214846.jpg

Once upon a time, before Sweden became a member of EU, bringing home strong drinks (above 55-60%) from your holiday trips, was considered almost as serious as smuggling drugs. Green Chartreuse, 55% was the strongest stuff sold at our alcohol shops and I think that set the limits.

Today, you bring home any drinks you want.