And what did we buy today?

Re: 50" HDR

I'm not bragging but that's the smallest of the 3 TV's we have.

Hi Cal,

I've been living in a tiny yacht for 8 years and the idea of even a 50" TV was mind boggling to me. But the new home - bought at bargain prices due to the difficulty of selling property right now - is two storey, double brick and has 4BR, 2 bathrooms, living/dining, formal lounge and a huge open area downstairs that I'll be turning into an electronics workshop. So I dare say once I move in and spread myself out the 65" and projector versions will start looking mighty attractive.

Oh yeah, I bought a property. Scratch AU$170k.

Rob

Last edited:
got some light bulbs

but would be more interested in buying a summer car. I wouldn’t know what to buy though? it would have to be useful on Ontario’s cratered roads which is a tall order for a sports car. And should it be convertible ? given the heat in July and Aug most folk keep covered. I had a 5 litre Mustang once, the push rod engine gave up at high revs and the cast iron engine was rather heavy. I think the Cayman looks nice.

Attachments

• EE6E02AB-D530-4FB9-8315-F81DA677CF3E.jpeg
    EE6E02AB-D530-4FB9-8315-F81DA677CF3E.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 143
got some light bulbs

but would be more interested in buying a summer car. I wouldn’t know what to buy though? it would have to be useful on Ontario’s cratered roads which is a tall order for a sports car. And should it be convertible ? given the heat in July and Aug most folk keep covered. I had a 5 litre Mustang once, the push rod engine gave up at high revs and the cast iron engine was rather heavy. I think the Cayman looks nice.

I also had the 5 litre Mustang in the early 1980's -- with "T-Tops" -- it was a beast but I spun it really bad on ice and gave it up for an MB. Too old for that with 3 kids to put through college.

The Mustang would go great from 0 to 60, the MB would go great from 60 to 120.

Back when i was a kid, I had several VWs one after the other. Great little car and fun to eff with. I used to drive 'em like I stole it and they always came back... I rallied a 52 HP diesel on back roads up north at 3 am so I would hit anyone... Fun times indeed... I love my BMW, but the parking brake is rubbish compared to the VW... You could lock up the wheels and do a spin at speed if you wanted to... The new cars just aren't made for that level of fun anymore haha

One time for that impressive burn out from a car with 81HP, I set the parking brake, revved it up to 6k, and lifted off the clutch. I left a pair of 11's the entire length of the school parking lot haha.

The adult in me says, "Ya, and you also wasted about 300$ worth of rubber in the process!" but my adolescent brain was having none of that. New tires to scrap in less than a month but it was a good learning process...

Last edited:
I have a short list of Alfas that I wish I had acted on back in the day; 63 Guilia (rust free) for $250 in 1983, similar race car that my father sold (rather gave) to an unscrupulous dealer in 1997 or so after a stunning repaint.

Was shocked to find the original shocks completely blown on the 1972 GTV we had, and it handled incredibly regardless!! I remember there was a guy here in Seattle with one that was turbocharged, was fast, but he was arrogant and got 86ed from the track here.

Today’s purchase was the weekly run of the odd selection of whatever groceries that were available at our local store. Have to be a bit more accepting/creative these days it seems.
That and some weed prevention chemicals for the rapidly flourishing driveway.

to replace the crappy FUF ones I used in my speaker switch

The speaker switch that I built in Florida used junkyard quality automotive relays. 12 volt coil 10 to 30 amp contacts, just right for the job. Unfortunately it's still in a box somewhere, or lost forever. I haven't seen it since Florida, two moves ago.

It also had a line stage with a 6SN7 feeding several individual mosfet followers, one for each output. That way I could feed several amps at the same time from whichever input I had selected with some reed relays. The speaker selector connected one of three pairs of speakers to whichever amp was turned on. Turning two amps on however confused it's little PIC chip brain, a detail I never bothered to fix.

I'm starting to keep a few more parts & things in stock at home, to reduce frequent mail orders.* To that end, I'm attempting to stuff a hall closet as full as possible with shelving.

Recently it occurred to me that 2 sets of those cheap, old-fashioned screw-together steel utility shelves, bolted together back-to-back, mounted on a rolling base, would slide in & out of the closet as one big, dense block of storage. And with the stamped shelves inverted into trays, they're the perfect size to hold those Grainger cardboard parts bins I use.

So today it's a cautious trip to the hardware store for some casters & other bits.

This is either gonna be really really cool, or one of the dumbest ideas I've had in quite awhile.

*I'll admit it: I miss Radio Shack.

I paid for some car repairs. Some of that **** should have been handled by the car dealer, but I knew that I would never come to an agreement, so I let the local Peugeot dealer fix it. It set me back $400.

I love the car, but I have paid more for repairs (and ****) the half year I have had the car, than I paid during the 5 years I drove the older car, same model, 6 yeras and 120000 km older.

2 sets of those cheap, old-fashioned screw-together steel utility shelves, bolted together back-to-back, mounted on a rolling base

I have 5 sets on rolling bases stuffed into an area just wider than 6 shelves. That way you can only get in between one set of shelves at a time, but they all move so the access gap can move as needed......How to get 5 shelves into space where only 3 would fit if access to both sides of each was needed all the time. Left the shelves right side up so that I could screw some pine boards on the under side of the lower two shelves so the heavy stuff like transformers can be stored.

Two things I have learned.....don't put transformers above knee height and avoid cheap plastic casters, especially in an unheated building...several crumbled during a -10F night leaving the whole mess immovable without unloading all of the shelving.