And what did we buy today?

Just placed an order with AliExpress for a whole lot of connectors and a USB sound adapter to upgrade my workbench setup a bit and get a little more serious about measuring stuff. Should be a fun project hooking it all up and doing some before/after on gear when I fiddle with it.

Just placed an order with Ali-Express for 100 100nf 100v 7.5mm pitch capacitors.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Attachments

• 61ESBKhCN-L._SL1200_.jpg
    61ESBKhCN-L._SL1200_.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 154
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Paid for development and scanning of three analog films. Two 135 films - Kono! Moonstruck and Ilford SFX200 and one 120 film - Kodak 400TX.

I got a kodak T-Max 400 (or is it 100) in an old Konika Autoreflex T that has only been half exposed. The shutter broke, and I rewound the film, then got the camera fixed, and wound it back through again to where it was up to, but never finished it. I think it was almost expired when I put it in the camera back in 2007.... I should really put a new battery in that camera, finish the film and see whether anything survived...

Tony.

Bought in some components from RS Components for a model railway "station halt" with two aspect signal controller.
It stops the train at the station with signal on red. After time determined by preset it holds the train then turns signal to green and lets it go.
COOL! But tell us you run a GWR layout!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

COOL! But tell us you run a GWR layout!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly not, my last layout was part of the CK&PR (Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith railway) from Penrith to Blencow.
Digital speech announcement system.
Electronic LCD destination board.
4 branch automatic train controller, shunted 3 trains between 4 branches.
The points were controlled by a microcontroller.

Got all my MR stuff stolen some 20 years ago. Almost 10 locos and 30-40 wagons and coaches.
The small money my insurance company paid me was enough for 2-3 locos.
I was most upset that an odd GWR 4-4-2T kit was among the goods that was carried away.

In the UK there was a model railway show broken into.
Some young lads smashed the lot up.
There was an appeal for money to replace everything.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's all really sad. I know that hobby can get to be extremely expensive, not counting the hundreds of hours of labour that went into them. Owners of these are often very passionate about everything that makes up their setup. It's not uncommon to see locos or rolling stock that there isn't a kit for and they came about by "kit bashing". That's where the directions of the kit aren't followed past a certain point in order to make a specific type or even rolling stock.

A good friend of mine has an extensive setup, even the scenery and side buildings are often hand made!

-Chris

I recently realized that with all the crap lying around here, I've almost everything I need to set up a small multitrack/MIDI studio in an unused bedroom, with only a very short list of additional items needed - desk, chair, cables, that's most of it right there! So, to that end:

Small Samsung SSD for the hand-me-down HP PC my big sis gave me. (Thanks Sis!)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Not bought — picked up for free — i finally have gottrn back some of the KEFs i sold in the late 70s.

Sealed 4xB200/box, has a switch for bipole/dipole (what’s the point?), and 2 Philips tweeters each (XO a single cap).Remove the junk, stiffen the box and it will be suitable as cheap helper woofers.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• B200-bipoles-1000.jpg
    B200-bipoles-1000.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 335
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A "portable LCD digital microscope". Zoom is 1 ~ 600 and display is a 4.3" LCD at 3.6 MP. Not a lot, but it was less than $100. I actually bought it a long while ago and just received it yesterday evening. It shows fine details of solder connections for smt work. It does work great, and it will accept a mini memory card for image storage. I don't know if I'll use that feature, but why not?

-Chris