An illustrated guide to building an F5

I breadboard this portion of the circuit. I could adjust the voltage across R3 but not R4.
Next I took both jfets out and replaced them with other jfets that measured about 12mA , and I could adjust both R3 and R4 to above 5 Volt.
Therefore I think low Idss maybe the problem
IMG_20230613_224042.png

With the 7.8mA jfets, when I disconnect the V+ supply I was able to adjust the voltage of R4, that is the pot of P channel jfet.
This is really puzzling me.
Two jfets in circuit, only R3 can be adjusted.
Really need to understand why before I proceed to solder in the 12mA(not so closely matched) jfets.
Hope members can explain
Thanks

Joined 2012
Paid Member
How did your preamp cause your F5 to malfunction? Perhaps that will give a clue.

You could check the solder joints of the new components and of the components in and around the front end. Perhaps a bad solder joint is the cause of the problem.

There are not too many components that are likely to be damaged. Since you have replaced all of the JFETs, transistors, and mosfets, double check that there are no mix-ups in locations.

Reactions: 1 user
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I breadboard this portion of the circuit. I could adjust the voltage across R3 but not R4.
Next I took both jfets out and replaced them with other jfets that measured about 12mA , and I could adjust both R3 and R4 to above 5 Volt.
Therefore I think low Idss maybe the problem
View attachment 1183106

go back with P1 and P2; confirm that measuring across R3 and R4, you want minimum ohms there
replace R3 and R4 with 4K7
that will cover whatever Idss range of JFets you're using and - if everything else is proper, you'll be able to set everything

measuring across R3 and R4, you want minimum ohms there
replace R3 and R4 with 4K7
that will cover whatever Idss range of JFets you're using and - if everything else is proper, you'll be able to set everything
Yes R3 R4 increased to 5K1
and P jfet j74 still not conducting.
Jfets Idss tested again and all about 7.8/9 mA. That means they are not damaged. Also tested with 1K resistor and led.
Maybe need to modify input part for both jfets to work

Thanks

G'day All

I'd like to remove the current limiter on my F5, reason being I've some Thiel 2.3's that are current hungry so I'd like to see what sonic benefit the removal brings. Is there anything to keep an eye on other than re-biasing?

Also, I've a 24V secondary tranfo I'd like to try to bring the output up. At the moment I dont have higher wattage resistors to change out R9 through R12 as suggested. Would it be safe not changing them for now so long as I dont bias to high? Additionally when upping the rail voltage, how will this effect the output into 4 ohm please?

Many Thanks

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The limiter can be removed easily. The F5T doesn't have it, so it's not needed.

24V transformer will give you about 32V rails. This is about the highest I'd be comfortable running Toshibas with no cascode, and I'd not run Linear Systems Jfets that high.

4ohm loads are more demanding of current than voltage swing, and increasing the rail voltage doesn't do all that much for current, but it is likely to be a little better, so it's worth trying.

Pretty sure I bought Toshiba's, will have a look & order some if not
Whats your thought please with leaving R9~12 standard wattage for now?

The 24V secondary transfo is 600VA, not over the top but surely enough legs with the limiter gone
By the way I now have a Supratek 6SN7 driving the F5, a very nice match indeed
Will post findings once the F5 changes are in place. Thanks 6L6

AL

I removed the current limiter & protection then re-biased my F5;
24v rail's
P3 centred R3Ω = R4Ω w/- amp off
600mV with ~0mV offset

I then measured across R5 & R6 and got 4.92 and 5.2v.
Is this acceptable and whats possibly causing the imbalance when my bias voltage's are equal please?

Last edited: