Ampslab Osprey-BR, opinions

It is amazing how many things come up that delay projects like this. I have one box built and the other cut.

After having erseaudio cancel my order the next day, with no reason; I just placed an order with hificollective for the crossover parts. Shipping from them to the US was surprisingly reasonable. The inductors say 18 days before they ship so we will see if that is close to a correct estimate.

I think I'll put the tweeters on my Christmas list this year, that way I don't feel as bad about the price going up so much.

I bought the CX10 with the F110 Eminence soft dome tweeters......I went with the soft dome as they were in stock, cheap, and if they don't work out, this design of the tweeter screwing into the pole piece is easily swapped out with any number of drivers. My plan is to duplicate the Zu Soul IV......But first I'm going to mount them into the center of the 24X48" piece of plywood that I bought for the cabinet baffle and run them Open Baffle to run tests.....But I do all my router work outside and it is in the high teens for the next few days.....UGH!
I sent to Michael for the Xover for the Osprey BR......And now he is supplying PCB for a full active crossover......Hmmmm...A nice "in the shop" project!

I am currently building the Osprey BR. Cabinets are half done. Front and rear baffles are pending completion. I have the driver and x-over components. Finding the time to work on them is the hardest part. I previously made another design from Michael Chua of AmpsLab and was happy with it. Just checking to see if anyone else has completed these.

So close. This will not be the finished front baffle. Looks like a classic Harbeth speaker in it's current state. So tempted to install the drivers and crossover tonight for a test run. It's hard to not finish all the details before taking it for a test drive.

Attachments

• PXL_20220222_213625528.jpg
    PXL_20220222_213625528.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 112
Reactions: 1 user
@rongon Any updates on the build? I'm really curious to hear your impressions.
I have my Osprey BR build up and running. They sound very good indeed. Michael Chua did a great job with this design. He must be commended for his contribution to DIY audio. He responds to emails fairly quickly and was helpful in clearing up some questions I had on another project. I'm sure he is a busy man and it's pretty amazing that he's is able to do all of this.
I had concerns about the jagged response in the upper treble. No longer! The Osprey BR sounds phenomenal. Imaging is great. Much better than other speakers I built using high-end SEAS drivers. "Effortless" is the best description I can use. Depending on the recording, they sound like I have a performance in my room. Very life-like. Vocals and acoustical instruments are very natural. These don't play very deep but that's the price you pay for high sensitivity. Higher sensitivity speakers usually have a higher Fs and light cones. But it's not a bass-shy speaker either. The bass is does have is very good. Just don't expect much below 50hz or so. I'm using a 12 watt El84 tube amp and it plays very loud. I haven't had the chance to swap it out yet for my old ADCOM GFA-555. I'm curious to see what a beefy 200 WPC will sound like. These are pro drivers that are able to produce a lot of sound.
I think it's an audiophile design with inexpensive pro drivers. Once again... Thanks to Mr. Chua for making a great sounding efficient speaker that should be equally good in many different roles. Hifi, theater, DJ, Live Sound. All at a very affordable pricetag.

I second everything Daniel said, especially the accolades for Michael.

When there is a pause before a song starts and then it begins with just vocals I have jumped a couple times with these speakers. I haven't decided on a finish yet. They are lively and enjoyable speakers. I don't foresee building any more speakers and this is a good one to stop on.
amps.jpg

Hi, I just finished the Osprey 12 and I think they are going to be what I’ve been looking for!

I have built nearly every one of Michael’s amps, and 4 or 5 of his speaker designs (Robin, Robin 2.5, Soliloquy, and Enlightenment). They are all very good, hard to pick a favorite!

He has made this hobby fun again.

mark

Great to hear you are all enjoying Michael´s coax creations! Tempting for sure..
I have built nearly every one of Michael’s amps, and 4 or 5 of his speaker designs (Robin, Robin 2.5, Soliloquy, and Enlightenment)
Let me know what you think of the design, also in comparison with the Osprey. Another tempting one for sure though I´m not sure I could fully appreciate the quality&price of the woofer.

Hi, I just finished the Osprey 12 and I think they are going to be what I’ve been looking for!

I have built nearly every one of Michael’s amps, and 4 or 5 of his speaker designs (Robin, Robin 2.5, Soliloquy, and Enlightenment). They are all very good, hard to pick a favorite!

He has made this hobby fun again.

mark
Any experience with his bandpass sub designs? For some reason they have me intrigued.
I've been listening to his LM60Mk2 amp for several weeks now and I think I'm going to retire my SE tube amp...

Hi,

no I haven’t tried the band pass subs, but I would have to think they are good!

I have enjoyed each of the speaker designs so far! Love the Soliloquy, and Enlightenment.

still love the first amp I built too, the Bi-70.

working on his new TDA-7293mod amp boards now.

mark

Any experience with his bandpass sub designs? For some reason they have me intrigued.
I've been listening to his LM60Mk2 amp for several weeks now and I think I'm going to retire my SE tube amp...
Yes, I built a pair of Michael's Toucan-SF subwoofers. Easy build and cheap as chips. D`ont let the low cost fool you, we have been conditioned to believe something must be pricy to be good, not true. These subs are excellent. The only issue(s) are twofold and I use the word issue in an advisory capacity. One is, as he has in the article you need a steep crossover to filter out the midrange. Second is they will not play very loud i.e if it is for home and even in a large room they are excellent but they will not work for pro use. They will output to 20 Hz in my room, of course not much output but it does it. It comes to life at 35 - 40Hz and will play clean past 200 Hz which is as far as I went. I am presently using them with Magnepan MMGI`s and a DBX 223 crossover so biamped, the sytem lacks nothing. What stands out most for me is the lack of overhang, they really can carry a bass tune.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, I built a pair of Michael's Toucan-SF subwoofers. Easy build and cheap as chips. D`ont let the low cost fool you, we have been conditioned to believe something must be pricy to be good, not true. These subs are excellent. The only issue(s) are twofold and I use the word issue in an advisory capacity. One is, as he has in the article you need a steep crossover to filter out the midrange. Second is they will not play very loud i.e if it is for home and even in a large room they are excellent but they will not work for pro use. They will output to 20 Hz in my room, of course not much output but it does it. It comes to life at 35 - 40Hz and will play clean past 200 Hz which is as far as I went. I am presently using them with Magnepan MMGI`s and a DBX 223 crossover so biamped, the sytem lacks nothing. What stands out most for me is the lack of overhang, they really can carry a bass tune.

The driver is so cheap I may have to give it a try. I'd probably go with a plate amp rather that a bi-amped setup.

My preference is a false baffle to stretch grill cloth over or pet screen if pets or small children can get to them and attach with either SMALL pieces of industrial Velcro (it's very hard to pull apart otherwise) or these small magnets that's become quite popular for vintage speakers with their huge, often heavy grills plus nowadays there's other options.