Ampslab Osprey-BR, opinions

Good to know, if he makes other good designs the odds are he isn't going to throw a bad one in the mix and say it is good.

There were a lot of tempting designs on his site but this is one of 2 high sensitivity ones and is is quite a bit different from anything else I've build so that makes it tempting too.

Correct, he sends the box designs and crossover schematic by email for free.

I emailed for suggestions on speakers to build and got a very quick reply with the drawings and schematics for both suggestions.

I've just never heard a compression driver before, nor a coaxial setup.

Hey, a fellow traveler!
I just now ordered the drivers for a pair of Osprey-BR.
I have cabinets ready to go, so my build should go pretty quickly. They're old cabinets from a Klipsch speaker, but they're cut perfectly for a 10" Eminence woofer. They're about 55 liters (2 cu ft), so a bit bigger than what the plans call for, but I can take away volume if I have to. Or maybe just use a shorter port tube to raise the box resonance.
If I get them playing quickly I'll try to remember to post here about them.
--

I'll try to remember to post here about them.
Please do! Really intrigued about the design.
Sounds like a really good and not overly expensive fun speaker.

Got the plans from ampslab. What a nice guy, reponding in a personal email.
Even made further comments about the designs in the mail.
(asked about the Osprey BR and the Enlightenment cause I like how he used a 1st order LP on the scanspeak illuminator)

I'm sure Michael C. designed the Osprey-BR with the driver flush mounted.

If you mount the driver behind the baffle, you will be changing the design. I don't know if you'd be changing it for the worse by a lot, but I can't see how it would change it for the better.

Usually, rear-mounting the woofer results in a small sort of 'horn' being added, which is likely to change the midrange response of the woofer.

You can try it, but I've found it adds a 'honk' to the sound, and will probably change what you need to do with the crossover.

BTW, I just received the drivers and crossover parts this past weekend. I have to do some minor work to the cabs; assemble the crossovers, cover over and seal the old tweeter cutouts and cut pieces of thin board to flush mount the woofers. I need to find the time for that. Hopefully very soon.