Amp Camp Amp - ACA

I've built the stereo unit, SE input. Can I convert to Xlr, is it simple to do and if want to convert to mono and then build a second one with XLR, mono what is the power output of the pair at that point and will they sound markedly better?

thanks

as a matter of fact i did that, with an Impasse wannabe preamp with XLR outputs...

Attachments

• IMG_1475.jpg
    IMG_1475.jpg
    989.1 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1484.jpg
    838.3 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    981.3 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1482.jpg
    773.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_1495.jpg
    IMG_1495.jpg
    929.4 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    910.4 KB · Views: 105
Help request

Hello everyone

I come to you asking help on how to find out a problem i have currently.
Please keep in mind i am at a basic electronics capability but i try my best.

I have for some time the ACA 1.6 and very happy with it.

Until recently i was only using to listen to CDs and with some decent speakers but aimed more for low/med performance and low sensibility.

Recently i got my B1 and build it, using the same speakers i was now happy that i could control volume on it and have 2 sources connected.

Since 2 weeks i bought a pair of Beovox S75 speakers; put them in place and was immediately very happy that now the sound quality improved dramatically.

But....

I notice that one side plays louder than the other, specially at med/high.
Thinking was the speakers i swap them and the same difference is noticed, so it is not the speakers.
I go and review the bias in the B1 and 9,5v both channels after 1h of operation, also the ACA 12v both channels after same hour of operation.
If i swap the speakers from left to right in the amp i see that always the left channel is lower than the right, does not change if i swap the speaker.

So now i have no idea on how to find why this happens..
Can you please help me finding out why i have this?
Am i missing some test?

Thank you in advance.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
You have added components and interconnects so if you are sure it is not the speaker next step is to reverse the pre amp to amp connection only. If the problem moves it is the pre amp or source if not it is the amp. Repeat until you find the component that causes the problem to switch channels. Then try different inter connects on that component before you try fixing anything. Double and triple check speaker phasing before starting all of this.

You have added components and interconnects so if you are sure it is not the speaker next step is to reverse the pre amp to amp connection only. If the problem moves it is the pre amp or source if not it is the amp. Repeat until you find the component that causes the problem to switch channels. Then try different inter connects on that component before you try fixing anything. Double and triple check speaker phasing before starting all of this.

Sorry what you mean checking speaker phasing?

you could, but if b1 proved as being good you can move on and feed ACA with "verified" B1, should be ok.

I wonder that you say difference is in mid/highs. Bass is more sensitive for setup problems (on the other hand, not easy to locate to channels)

I´m too basic to have further tipps, sry,
st

Last edited:
speaker phasing is that +on ACA output goes "red" in Speaker input, and that for both speakers the same. Otherwise the waves don´t add, they´ll substract.

since you verified B1 as being symmetrical in amlifying, you can feed ACA with B1 for further test, thats ok. But ACA seems ok too..
I´m just basic, so sorry for not having further tipps,
best,
st

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Per previous recommendation from Signal lost, isolate to the component causing the issue. The B1 is the newest thing, and the ACA was fine before per your previous post.

Listen using the source you were using when everything sounded correct prior to the B1 being put in. Right channel should be louder per your previous post.

Then do below:
Connect left output from B1 to right input of ACA.
Connect right output from B1 to left input of ACA.

This has nothing to do with the phase.

Is the left speaker now louder than the right? If yes, look at B1. If no, look at the ACA.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Sorry for being unclear. I should have stated, my suggestion has nothing to do with checking to see if the phase set was "normally" or if perhaps one channel is running in phase or out of phase vs. the other. They mentioned "louder" in the mids and highs vs. an issue with imaging or a lack of bass. So, I recommended the most simple check first, to see if the pre-amp had a channel imbalance.

I perhaps assumed too much that b/c the Amp sounded fine before the addition of the B1 that the B1 or some connection between the B1 and amp was the most likely culprit.

:cheers:

simplest way imho is t feed both channels a mono signal, you can y connect the output signal from your source so then both channels are receiving the same signals...

then listen to your speakers if the sound is centered or not....

i would have done it by a 1k test tone, and resistor dummy loads and measure the output voltage at the resistors to see where they are at...

there are unknow factors that we do not see in your location/setup listening room...

so test instruments will shed light better...

btw, if you get your speaker phasing wrong, the bass will be almost absent..