Amp Camp Amp - ACA

not yet, but considering that 260 watts is total power draw, so 25% of that is 65 watts, so 30 to 35 watts is a reasonable expectation....

i am not done yet with this amp, i will try the irfp240 and others if only to see how the fare in this amp and challenge them with higher power dissipation...

btw, 4 x 200 watt 48vdc smps were used and was purchased here: https://shopee.ph/product/46314077/6112007764

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
48vdc ACA, aka Kampana in Manila is alive...

4 x 48 vdc @4 amps power bricks, and 2 boards of dual channel ACA boards, using the Conrad Engineering 350 x 151 x 60 mm heatsinks, temperature was 61 C* at an ambient of 30*C.......IRFP150 mosfets.....bias at around 1.4A.....the whole rig dissipated 260 watts.....
chassis from AliExpress....Fall 285*150*370mm WA109 aluminium verstarker chassis/Class A power verstarker/Reine post verstarker fall/AMP Gehause/fall/DIY box|Verstarker| - AliExpress

Fugly!

:clown:

with IRFP150 you can go up to 50W of heat per piece, if cooled properly

which means - chassis no more than 50C at heatsinks

try arranging nice Babysitter, it helps a ton

Thanks

Just want to say thanks to Nelson and the folks at DIY Audio store and 6L6, and many other diyAudio regulars on this Labor Day

Been listening to an ACA all day with Klipsch RP-600Ms and an RSL sub crossed over at 200 hz.

Right now it's flooding down in Texas at about 93 db peak. No listening fatigue.

Total enjoyment.

I have built several amps (Burning Amp, Aleph J, F6. Built the F6 for a friend).

I have a second ACA on order. Going to go monoblock.

Note: passing the bass to the sub reduces the temp of the ACA amp significantly.

My advice is to drink some beer and listen to some music instead of fretting over the DBs all the time. These amps sound damn good.

P.S. I don't think it's the beer goggles.

Working From Home

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

I've been on immune suppressing drugs for a couple of decades so staying away from people as much as possible. Music is good though. ACA's with home built power supplies and Korg Nutube pre-amp with home built power supply. Home built (but professionally sprayed) Carfrae Horn Replicas (Creation Audio Kit) 106db horns go down to approx 50hz with plate amp driving 10" subwoofer passive radiator combo in each to go down to 20hz. ACA barely using 0.7 watt at normal listening levels. Nativ streamer is bricked at the moment and zero customer support :mad: looking at high end replacements. Fancy a Cambridge edge NQ (can by pass pre-amp if required). Pearl phono pre-amp needs starting just a case and boards so far.

Just wondering, looks like their is a new version (1.8?) at the DIY store. I wanted to pick up a second ACA for dual monos but not sure the new one would be compatable. Anyone know what changes were made?

Yes it will be compatible. There is No difference in the circuit or the board.
1- Differences are the rear panel. Not really important.
2- The two position switch of the V1.6 is replaced with a 3 position switch in V1.8. V1.8 switch adds 'parallel mode' as well.
3- R13 was 10K ohms on V1.6 and is now 31K in V1.8. That just makes the LEDs dimmer.

Depending on what 'mono' configuration you want to use you can either build the V1.8 as a V1.6 or replace the two position switch in your current amp with a 3 position (on-off-on) like the guide: Amp Camp Amp V1.8 Build Guide - diyAudio Guides

The new 3 way switch modes:
If you have wired the 3 position switch as the v1.8 diagram,

Switch UP = Bridged Mono. Using the White RCA input and output from the Black speaker sockets.
Switch Centre = Normal Stereo mode using the 2 RCA inputs, or Balanced Bridged Mono using the XLR input.
Switch Down = Parallel Mono mode. (Remember link the Black speaker connections together too.) In this mode you can use either RCA input and either pair of Red and Black output sockets.

Last edited:
I have one complete v1.6 ACA and two populated PCBs for a second ACA. If I order another chassis, is there a BOM for the extra parts needed to finish the amp? (binding posts, front power switch, RCA jacks, etc.)

P.S. I looked on diyaudiostore.com on the ACA chassis page, but didn't see anything. perhaps that would be a good place to post a list or a link to a list.

Last edited:
The Sept 7 batch has already been sold out, all the orders we receive from now on are going to be shipped after Sept 20.
We have started shipping all the chassis on friday and will gradually ship to everyone who has ordered in these days on a first come, first basis

A little off topic.
I am interested in a steel chassis but made with 2 mm or 3 mm steel panels.
Are you able to cut and fold steel that thick?

Hi,
not so long ago I put together a pair of ACA’s as monoblocks and they are feeding a pair of BMR drivers set in 30cm diameter plaster spheres that I also made a couple of years ago. I’m really enjoying the sound but I’d like just few more watts, as the BMR’s are not very efficient, so I’d like to go up to 24v as I have acquired a pair of 24v linear supplies and a Meanwell 24v 8 amp, SMPS to try out. I have version 1.B of the ACA so can someone confirm what modification I need to carry out to achieve this. I know I’ll have to re set the midpoint voltage to 12.5v approx.

Many thanks