Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Just remember the ACA runs Class A. Each board needs 1.5A at 24 volts (36 watts) all the time. So a stereo ACA needs 72 watts. Better to over spec the transformer by at least 50% so 120VA minimum and 150VA better.

So the 250VA transformer should just power 2 monoblocks and give a little reserve.

What have you got against using 2 x 5 amp 'open' SMPS in the case and run them as 2 mono amps?

Same idea as Tungsten, just slower typing...

Going off of the power requirements that Alan mentioned has anyone tried one of the below 120va linear power supplies? I have asked several different sellers about what the maximum continuous amperage output is but get a different answer from each. I would be looking to power one ACA with one of these.

120W DC Linear Regulated Power Supply DC Output 5V 9v 12v 15v 24V

120VA DC Linear Power Supply DC output 5V 9V 12V 15V 18V 24V

41c88295b3cfdf31.jpg

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
No way of knowing. I can't see any series pass device anywhere and in any case, the 120VA rating applies to the transformer, not what the output might support.

I would say avoid tbh. They look nice but I suspect they are not what they infer to be.

In fact one of them says:
The core program is LM317 plus TL431 benchmark

which if it is the freestanding device we can see on the board means the unit is good for only a few (a very very few) hundreds of milliamps.

Hi all, couple questions that may have been answered somewhere on this monster thread, but will just ask anyway...

1. When using the ACA as balanced Monoblocks, I assume stacking one on top of each other is not the best thing to do, but has anyone been running this way with any problem? Just trying to fit them in my space and this would be nice... fyi, this would be in open air, not in a cabinet or anything.

2. When using a subwoofer with high level speaker inputs, what is the best method of hooking the amps up when using them as balanced monoblocks? Do i need to consider anything in particular since using both black posts when used as monoblocks?

Thanks

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
1. covered ; one of the boyz made two cases as left and right , having sink on one side only, so when stacked no build up of heat
in short - if top amp is substantially hotter than lower one , no stacking

2.if woof input is floating (to the rest of system , meaning no connection with safety gnd etc. ) then you can do whatever you want ; how to test that - check with ohmmeter is there resistance between woof input and safety gnd ; if there is no safety gnd , skip that check :) ; then connect woof as you wish , with woof volume all down! and try it carefully ....... with finger ready on power switch

Thanks for the input per the sub hookup, although I'm technical enough to understand how to check if there is resistance between the woofer and safety ground.

That being said, I'm looking at Rel subwoofers and their high-level hookups have some pretty specific instructions depending on the type of amplifier you are using. Anyone with experience using monoblock ACA's and a Rel?

After reading their site, I would assume I would leave the black ground wire on their connection floating, and hook the red and yellow to the black posts on the ACA.

Thanks for talking a look 6L6 and Mooly. Thats just it, its lacking some important info and it would really be nice to know what its rated for amperage wise continuously. It looks to be a nice chassis but a bit of a gamble. If I got one I guess I would have to put my fluke in between it and the amplifier to make sure its pulling the full 3 amps.

There’s a TO247 pass device on the PSU shown in post 8584 if you look at the listing photos. Might make the whole 120W. Who knows. Would be much better if the seller had real information

You're right, I can see it now and it shows up much better in one of the links than the other. That is much more promising then although it would still be advisable to know what DC power it can provide continuously.

Thanks for the input per the sub hookup, although I'm technical enough to understand how to check if there is resistance between the woofer and safety ground.

That being said, I'm looking at Rel subwoofers and their high-level hookups have some pretty specific instructions depending on the type of amplifier you are using. Anyone with experience using monoblock ACA's and a Rel?

After reading their site, I would assume I would leave the black ground wire on their connection floating, and hook the red and yellow to the black posts on the ACA.

If I remember those correctly, on the Rel side you use the “high level input”, and on the amps side the black wire goes to 0 ohm or ground terminal (doesn’t matter which of the two amps), then left channel amp positive terminal gets the yellow wire, and right channel amp positive gets the red wire.