Amp Camp Amp - ACA

I just opened up my email and got the message new kits are available I go to sign in on my got in a matter of hours they’re all sold out . I was going to buy two . It is like a popular rock star concert tickets sell out in a matter of minutes . I missed out last time and I missed out this time to . When is the ETA for the next delivery

In suspect all those issues are being addressed in as timely a fashion as resources permit.

This looks like another one of those cases of "careful what you wish for" - the vagaries of coordinating multiple supply chains, and all that.

Still almost too reasonably priced, methinks :eek:

Understand the market that diyaudio caters too however...bottom dwellers. Even the excellent MOFO design, diy'ers complain about the "cost" of a Hammond choke and instead would rather rip apart a microwave oven :headbash:

I can understand the path to discovery but honestly how about digging into our pockets and paying just a little more?

My :2c:

Best,
Anand.

Gee, I dunno, speaking both personally and on behalf of others, I think there are a few of the "'bottom dwelling" members of these fora willing to forego the time/cost involved in "saving money" with the recycling / re-purposing of questionable parts.

In my view, the whole spirit of the ACA project was; what's the lowest cost of entry for achieving excellent - if not limitless - performance with the simplest reliable and very nicely packaged design? For those looking for something that would meet a higher degree of your approbation, there are numerous designs with much the same DNA - i.e. anything in the FirstWatt canon?

Last edited:
I noticed that even people that has built many of the firstwatt amps still think the ACA has something to offer in terms of audio quality. Maybe because "less is more"?
Make it as simple as possible but not simpler? .....maybe ACA is just that if you have high efficiency speakers. I will make my judgement when I have built them and compared them to my 300B amp. The plans I have for the ACA it will be an expensive amp. Maybe $100 - 200 pr. watt.

Drill a hole, add the potentiometer and go for it! There's tons of room on that end of the chassis.
I would like to, but I don't know which potentiometer I should use. Nor how to connect it, because it's not in the manual. I've never built an amplifier before and don't know much about electric stuff. And I don't want to electrocute myself or burn down the house because of a stupid mistake. So an ACA Integrated (with potentiometer) would be very attractive to me. And not only to me I guess.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'm sure someone like Zenmod will make/probably has made a recommendation on pot value.However, the front panel is so thick (10mm!) that there needs to be relief on the inside in order to accommodate the 1/4" max threads on most pots. A shop with a drill press and big bit or milling machine can do it easily.

Sorry I don't get the Szechuan sauce comment..

I would like to, but I don't know which potentiometer I should use. Nor how to connect it, because it's not in the manual. I've never built an amplifier before and don't know much about electric stuff. And I don't want to electrocute myself or burn down the house because of a stupid mistake. So an ACA Integrated (with potentiometer) would be very attractive to me. And not only to me I guess.

Last edited:
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
That new chassis is a beauty and moving the mosfets to the sides is a great move! There was barely enough room to fit the PCB and bottom mounted mosfets on a 2U sink...

You got it.

Is the guy in charge also responsible for ordering szechuan sauce?

Yes. This is our Szechaun sauce moment...

The release time was also poor for us who live in New Zealand and Australia...

I missed as I was asleep! Oh well, next time!

We'll do better next time... stay tuned. In the meantime, you can sign up for that "Email me when available" notification here:

Parts kit: Amp Camp Amp Parts Kit – diyAudio Store
Chassis: Amp Camp Amp Chassis – diyAudio Store

Attachments

• Szechuan Sauce Moment.jpg
    Szechuan Sauce Moment.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 392

Well, for some folks an integrated amp would have multiple selectable (analog) level inputs, maybe digital, in addition to the volume -maybe even balance? - control(s) I think it’d be some world class dental surgery to fit all that in the new purpose built stereo chassis, but certainly doable in say, something like a Dissipante 2U with 4mm front panel. However, unless eager to spend on custom machining of rear panel, be prepared for some chassis bashing, and only order the aluminum models.

When “we” get around to our build - current plan is for a stereo pair for PLLXO / allowing for bi-amping of WAW- the front end will be a Rotel RC1570 - pretty decent sounding piece for store-bought- so all the signal selection, etc will be upstream.