Altec Lansing

Backward machine setting again?

I suggested that.I said you sure the machine isn't set for Ceramic Magnets.He assured me it was Not and that they zapped them 3 times with No change in strength.So i authorized him to change the slug.I'm calling him back Tomorrow if he doesn't have them done I'm going to tell him to send them back AS IS. My project has been stewing way too long Now.I want to get them finished !

BTW: I'm starting to stew too, :bomb: I personally think that GPA is trying to move away from the servicing part and wants to focus on strictly New Drivers For Sale period.IMO

Well I got mine back today! same crap!.. still really no punch on the bottom!, so i decided to run some tones, now get this at 50 hz it is alot louder than the old altec, but at 100 the old one blows it away, at 250 /500 750 they sound the same!... wtf?.. I am calling bill back tomorrow and ask him what is going on with it? they do test them before they leave don't they?

Well I got mine back today! same crap!.. still really no punch on the bottom!, so i decided to run some tones, now get this at 50 hz it is alot louder than the old altec, but at 100 the old one blows it away, at 250 /500 750 they sound the same!... wtf?.. I am calling bill back tomorrow and ask him what is going on with it? they do test them before they leave don't they?

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to measure T/S parameters before sending them back? T/S parameters would tell a lot more about the drivers than frequency response.

Matching Pair Speakers Performance

When trouble shooting be careful of what you are calling your "reference" speaker. It may have its own different issues / variances from factory spec also...loose or stiffer spider, surround, tolerances. All of which effect the "heard in my particular room with my particular equipment".

Speaker pairs considered for performance matching both should be tested with the same diagnostic equipment to even start to have the data needed to address matching performance issues...:eek:

Remember the hours of break in factor on "proaudio" speakers is very high and the drivers are not at their best expecially in a low power small room "home" environment until they are driven hard & long.

Get the data, analyze the facts, execute the required action...Otherwise it's just a crap shoot...:xfingers:

Totally agree! but when the ref speaker is a original altec comparing it to a new reconed altec, should be the same other than the break in time, but this speaker doesn't even want to take power u start turning it up and it gets staticy etc... Something is either wrong with that damn magnet structure or the cone?, I will be swapping it out tomorrow with the other one just to see if its a cab deal or a speaker! I hope its a cab cross over deal cause i can't even get GPA on the phone anymore! :( grr

Ok switched speakers yesterday, the speaker is fine! so then I switched crossovers, it still has a rattle that sounds like it is coming from the center of the speaker. Is it possible the surround is hitting the front baffle board when driving it? Why wouldn't it do it on the other cab tho too?

Ok switched speakers yesterday, the speaker is fine! so then I switched crossovers, it still has a rattle that sounds like it is coming from the center of the speaker. Is it possible the surround is hitting the front baffle board when driving it? Why wouldn't it do it on the other cab tho too?

I don't understand which speaker is fine? Why don't you try it free-air instead in the box with the crossover? :confused:

I don't understand which speaker is fine? Why don't you try it free-air instead in the box with the crossover? :confused:

Well after the first recone problem I got it back and it still made noise so i was like wtf... but after switching them yesterday the new recone is fine and is not rattling , so there is something going on with that left cab, that is why i also switched cross overs just to verify it wasn't electrical. The only thing left is something physical making it make noise when u really start giving it power, and this is the old altec one that in the right cab would pound without noise, just like the recone does now in that right cab, I don't see anything loose,like a baffle board or anything, kinda got me stumped! The speaker sounds fine at low volume ,but u start moving the cone good and it rattles like its coming from the voice coil. Is Why I think it may be hitting the front baffle board and stopping its forward motion?

OK. I suggest that you re-glue all the joints in the cabinets and than check them again. Also, do what Pano is suggesting.
One more thing - I bet old driver and recone sound and measure different. You should have sent them both to GPA. But maybe I'm just pessimistic.

Actually the old driver and new sound very close, i think once the new one loosens up it will be the same?