Altec 604 build

Thanks guys, but the work is only half done.

As for now I have used pink insulation on the bottom, top, one side and whole back. Is this a good starting point? It does sound better the open baffles already but is there a way to conduct some home experiments to get as much of the performance as possible?

Cabinet-damping

I have some felt and fill ordered last night, same as one over here.... 8mm felt and 30mm polyester

Thanks

radarek, didn't look like the enclosure had much bracing. The panels are pretty large and BB sings like a canary. Bracing will help tighten up the sound.

Some pictures of bracing

Attachments

• DSC_0162-486x724.JPG
    DSC_0162-486x724.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC_0161.jpg
    DSC_0161.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 177
I’m happy the way they are build. Can’t see me doing any structural changes without serious listening to them first. Plus set up and room treatment will be my priority number one. I spaced them out a bit, maybe another foot, that helped bass a lot. Centre of driver is now 33” from side wall and 60” from back wall. Center to center is 86”. Yesterday I had them playing for 8 hours and couldn’t stop listening and smiling... looking forward for the tube set so I can finally fire my SET amp.

Room is 12.5 feet wide and 30 feet long. Ceiling absorption tiles with 7” insulation behind. 7’2” to the ceiling and 8’4” to the deck upstairs... 3 walls are single layer of drywall on 24” centre 2*4... wooden wall is 16” on centre + drywall + 1” reclaimed wood. Potential for sound is there, needs sone serious room treatment now...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Very nice indeed! Those are big, that's good. :up:
As for damping material, my experience with speakers like that would rate them this way for sound quality and effectiveness.
  1. Pure wool felt (soft)
  2. Bonded Logic denim insulation
  3. Rockwool panels
  4. Fiberglass panels
  5. Fiberglass loose.
That's also a descending order of price, of course. ;)

I know you'll enjoy them.