Altec 604 build

Hello guys
Im new to this site, its my first post here.

Just recently I got set of nice 604 e with original crossover n1500. Had to scrap the boxes as those were really tired. Plan is to have new crossovers made for them. Copy of the originals but with better components and new cabs. Either stonehange V if i get the plans or Billforts corner boxes.
Any advice highly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20190322_200708-1200x1200.jpg
    20190322_200708-1200x1200.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 1,011
Last edited:
I also have a pair of the same model as you, what I have done is to buy a new filter by Werner Jagusch. I would build myself one but it ended up on the same amount, I chose the simple way.

I will build new cabs based on Altec 620, but with some mods i.e a little bigger but first I have to save up some money so that I can get started. There is a lot to read about different builds with these drivers take your time and choose the one that suits you.

Anders

Hello

This is MasteringLabs schematic. What can be used to achieve 1.5mH tapped at 0.15mH inductor? Is there anybody doing those?

I’m trying to choose between updated original xo and ML design?
Original design is simple to copy and way cheaper. Is the ML worth spending that extra?

Thank

Darius

Attachments

• E3F86FE2-FABC-4EDD-8E67-21F1B6538156.png
    E3F86FE2-FABC-4EDD-8E67-21F1B6538156.png
    227.5 KB · Views: 642
I will build new cabs based on Altec 620, but with some mods i.e a little bigger ... There is a lot to read about different builds with these drivers .... Anders

From the dimensions I found on the SHINDO website, their large SHINDO cabinet for the Altec 604 is about 4" taller than the Altec 620 cabinet. This puts the center of the horn tweeter at about 37" - 38" height.

Attachments

• cabinets 604.jpg
    cabinets 604.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 1,777
A "1.5mH tapped at 0.15mH inductor" is a 0.15mH inductor. You don't need to make (or have made) a multi tap inductor if you only use one tap.
The original Altec crossovers are all incredibly bad. Which is a shame as they made so many great drivers.
Not really. Note that 20 Ω resistor across the complete winding. It remains unclear, though, whether the tap counts from the bottom or the top end.

Best regards!

From the dimensions I found on the SHINDO website, their large SHINDO cabinet for the Altec 604 is about 4" taller than the Altec 620 cabinet. This puts the center of the horn tweeter at about 37" - 38" height.

Yes I know, what I have done is a long and careful R&D before my building of speakers. What I came up with is that I have to have 250 liters (9 sq.f) or more to reach about 30Hz as the lowest frequency then Altec 620 is a good starting point. There are many who build with 620 if it is so then there must be a reason that they are based on that construction.
The size is no problem for my part neither the place nor the gf has any objections just it looks good and sounds nice.

I have never heard a couple of Shindo's speakers but have a friend who has some of Shindo's amplifiers and preamps they are good then I have looked at Shindo, Jean Hiraga and others. Then I have a lot of experience of my own buildings with full-range, two-way and horn building over the years but I still check what others have done and try to avoid mistakes.

radarek!

Werners XO is a parallel filter with an attenuator that you can adjust the treble plus a pot to adjust rolloff and some oil capacitors, which value XO I have not checked up since I have more concentrated on listening to discovering pros and cons. Werners XO is very detailed but I do not perceive them hard or soft in the presentation. Easy, airy, detailed, liquid, smooth, iinstruments and voices sounds real according to my friends how are muscians.

Pano,

I can agree, but with what we have to think about is that Altec's XO is made for PA use and not home use perhaps as a compromise if you ignore it, but then our sound ideals have changed and knowledge. I listened a bit to original filters before I had decided the next step which was new filters.

Anders

Last edited:

I will have 940-960 mm approx. 38 in up to the underside of the horn in my own experience, the treble becomes more enjoyable in the horn system maybe right or wrong but for me it becomes perfect, try it!

Anders