• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Alpair 7P & Alpair 12PW combination.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bernie and i were talking about passive XOs for the A12pw box. With A10p and a pair of bass cabinets a passive XO with about 3-4 dB BSC should be doable (XO at or suitably below the BS -3dB). Part of the experiment is intended to XO a tweeter to the A12pw (they are more extended at the top than some drivers termed Full-Ranges)

dave

While I personally like the flexibility of any of the numerous bi-amping methods we've tried, there's not doubt of the appeal of simplicity of the single amp approach. Didn't Mark's original plan, and at least one of Scott Lindgren's designs incorporate a passive at 1K or or? Admittedly an area that some of us eschew, but it would certainly make things cheaper than the 200 - 320 Hz range we prefer.

As for tweeters for the A12PW, the first two candidates that come to mind are the very affordable A5.2, or the ESS AMT1 - still the best tweeter I've ever personally heard or worked with - and I generally try to avoid using that term when talking about audio gear.

Bernie and i were talking about passive XOs for the A12pw box. With A10p and a pair of bass cabinets a passive XO with about 3-4 dB BSC should be doable (XO at or suitably below the BS -3dB). Part of the experiment is intended to XO a tweeter to the A12pw (they are more extended at the top than some drivers termed Full-Ranges)

dave
I would be really very interested in seeing these developments.

sippy - I can't remember actually seeing that schematic before, was just going on foggy recollections of discussions of the general target XO frequency

and as for my remark above about tweeters for use with the 12PW, I was thinking along the lines of drivers other than the A7P or 7.3 (the latter being what we employed in the first iteration of MLTL MTMs)

I like simplicity in design, and symmetry as well.
But not at the detriment of good sound of course.

I was thinking, since I love sealed boxes, how about 12pw down low, and 12p for mid/high, in stacked sealed boxes? Biamped.

I had TB in mind originally, but I'm warming up to MA drivers, and since I never got a chance to listen to MAs yet, this could be an idea I could try.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
They do need an XO. A passive XO is quite a bit harder than a passive one but can be done.

The relative sensitivities of the drivers make for a much easier job if you use A7.3 instead of A7p (which would need some padding).

We started these with A7PeN but switched to A7.3eN which turned out to be better sounding and enabled us to start working on a passive XO.

566160d1471917115-13th-annual-vancouver-island-diyfest-2016-a12-mtm.jpg

We have so far done a 4th order parallel XO, and a 1st order series. The 1st turns out to be best overall (good enuff to publish) but not everywhere so we will continue our work.

The cost of decent parts for this XO is considerable (a pr of the cheapest Solen FastCaps for the large cap is over $140 CAD FOB Solen, and there are a lot more parts than that) because of the ~250 Hz XO. Certainly enuff to make a 2nd power amp and the PLLXO (ignoring RCA jacks and case typically $1-10 if you don’t use exotic caps) this MTM was designed to use.

The plans for this MTM TL are part of either the A7x or A12x paid plansets. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...10-hifi-minionken-plan-set-subscriptions.html We had help from Dr Scott @ Woden for the ML-TL.

dave

I built the two passive XO's that Dave mentioned above (design by others) - as he says, the total parts cost for the large film caps and air core inductors was well over $150 for either version - luckily we had some on hand, so "we" didn't have to fork out the full amount for both.
I personally preferred the parallel myself, but would also suggest that a dedicated PLLXO could be put together for far less than the cost of either passive - and my guess is that a large number of serious DIY idiots, oops, fanatical builders, would have enough spare amps to chose from.

Just for a lark, I also built a 4-channel digital amp (SURE TK2050) with buffered selectable LLXO to compare. Thanks to recycling an old Bogen amp chassis, the total parts cost of this little beast was approx $200.

I could live with any of them, but the simplicity of a dedicated one box solution has a lot of appeal - hell, if I knew what I was doing, it could incorporate something like a streaming receiver, or even minidsp for an upstairs background music system. That's pretty much what Tom Christiansen described in a post of his on the Modulus86 build thread.

Nice amp that Mod86