Aleph J illustrated build guide

Hai all
Purchased the board and components from DIY store..every day I think of starting and a new info comes up while scrolling through the forums here and elsewhere and I halt any further action to clarify the doubts.. So finally I thought let me start with Power supply and TRAFO.
...Why not an EI laminated core for ALEPHJ ...In India, I am not sure about supply quality, especially DC content
which is a toroid trafo killer...why not shield EI core with copper foil to minimize EMI ...What difference does EI trafo make other than dimensions

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I halt any further action to clarify the doubts...
If you have access to a toroid of sufficient specifications then buy it and use it, it's tried and true, you're just distracting yourself...do you want to listen to an Aleph J or spend your time shielding EI transformers and things of that nature for the rest of your life?

What's wrong with this company?
index.html

One of these should work...or they'll make you whatever you want.
1708424028036.png

Last edited:
@giri0076

You bring up a good point about Toroids and their sensitivity to DC on the mains line. Many diy’ers in your country have built solid state amplifiers with toroids. And whether there is DC on your mains line can be measured with a voltmeter. If there is, I suggest building a DC blocker or buying one - but read further below. They are available and the design is rather simple - the link is a rather comprehensive summary from ESP.

If you want to use an EI Core transformer, that’s fine and it will be a unique build. There are issues with EI cores to address (size of magnetic field, heat dissipation, physical size, multiple holes needed for mounting, etc…). Since an EI Core’s E+I plates are not perfectly symmetrical - this creates an air gap as such there are less chances that a small DC offset on the mains will cause a mechanical buzz compared to a toroid core which is tightly wound with nearly no air gap.

Toroids are advantageous in how compact they are for a given size, their dramatically increased efficiency, their comparatively smaller magnetic fields and their profoundly decreased heat loss. They generally operate cooler than their EI core cousins. Moreover, they are versatile in their mounting compared to EI core - just a single bolt is needed.

In my experience I have noticed that toroids can buzz due to DC on the mains especially when used in a circuit where the continuous current is not high as it states in the above referenced ESP article. This usually happens with very low bias Class A, or Class AB. The Aleph J however is always Class A since it is single ended in design and is biased high. You may not experience any buzzing from your toroid transformer at all.

But it’s best to find out for yourself. The water is warm, jump on in, we are here to help. So Clear your mind, Read this, memorize it and then build your Aleph J. The knowledge you gain from that build will aid you in future builds.

All the best,
Anand.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I tried to find out about it a couple of years ago, but couldn’t find anything relevant to enlighten me. I saw him in a thread (F3?) and he had a few relevant posts, so I started wondering.

That said, no one has threatened anyone here today. For all I am concerned, just humour. And I was being honest: I do like you and your posts, even though «gullable» was a bad choice of wording for that. I was not being ironic or sarcastic. Wanted to make that clear :cheers:

Good evening,
I have been reading the posts and learning a lot, I am new to amp building, but wanted to give a shout out to 6L6, poseidonsvoice, zen mod, and the rest of the members who give a lot of time and experience on this forum. Much appreciated! I wanted to share some pictures of the second Aleph J that I built.

Thank you for all you do,

Kelly,
IMG_1915.jpeg
IMG_1914.jpeg
IMG_1912.jpeg
IMG_1916.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users