Aleph J illustrated build guide

Joined 2016
Paid Member
In my 2A3 tube amp, I used the Mundorf MCap EVO (no oil) only for power supply bypass at the various stages.
For signal coupling, I liked WIMA MKP10 much more. :D

In my Aleph J, I also have WIMA MKP10 for signal, or, I also like some MKC caps (either Zen Mod's blue Philips MKC, or ROE MKC1860) ...

If you have DC across the cap at all times (so "pre-loading" the cap), up to 10 uF or so, I often use just SILMIC II or Nichicon UES with no film bypass.

Regards, Claas

Extreme_Boky and peppennino, thanks for responding to my post. I decided to go with the 5U chassis. My plan is to build the Aleph J in that. Once I have the time to learn/practice drilling and tapping metal, I’ll move it into a 400mm deep 4U chassis and use the 5U for a future BA build. I ordered all of the parts yesterday, so should start building in a week or two. Thanks again for your help. Very excited to get going on this.

>> The main things are to use cutting fluid

Can't stress that enough! Cutting fluid made all the difference for me.

I just finished drilling diyAudio's Universal Mounting Spec 28 holes on my heat sinks using 3mm tap and 2.5mm drill (drill press for drilling and hand tapping). For some reason, Irwin #4-40 tap+drill bit pair was easier. Drill America taps (from amazon) works really well and that is my new favorite.

Some progress on my Aleph J build

I just tested two individual channels of my Aleph J using a +/-12V transformer and both boards are working fine!

During testing, the bridge rectifier which is on a small heatsink, got pretty hot to touch. I am using the following part. Do I need to go for anything bigger?
GSIB1560-E3/45 Vishay General Semiconductor | Mouser

For now, I am going to assemble this in a smaller chassis, so I am thinking of using 2x16V toroidal transformer on each side.

Chassis size:
External: 320x130x313 mm
Internal: 220x122x300 mm
Heatsinks: 300x50x130 mm (approx 3U x 300mm)

Attachments

• Small Chassis.jpg
    Small Chassis.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 377
  • Bench Testing (bridge highlighted).jpeg
    Bench Testing (bridge highlighted).jpeg
    359.1 KB · Views: 318
I am now playing some songs through my Aleph J and it is certainly one of the best! Audacious running on a Raspberry PI with onboard i2s DAC is the source. First thing I noticed was rock solid imaging!

Still need to clean up some wiring, and also find better heat sinks for the bridge rectifiers before I can close the lid!

Very happy with the build and how it turned out!