Aleph J illustrated build guide

- What other parts do I need that aren't listed above? I don't have a parts-bin stash like some of ya'll.

Just in case you're in the same situation, I'm waiting for some little tie-wraps to arrive. Two little bits of nylon worth next to nothing, but the simplest way to thermally couple Q1a and Q1b. (I'm sure the other 98 will come in handy, sometime.) Just a little frustrating when you have all the other bits and pieces and are itching to finish and test a new amp.
(Best to wrap the two together before soldering - otherwise you may stress or even break one or more legs.)
You mention having built a valve amp in the past, so have dealt with high voltages. All the same it's quite possible to follow a comprehensive set of instructions and succeed with no theory at all. In your place I would research power supplies and fully understand the theory and the potential dangers, and build the light bulb tester, before starting this project. (I survived my one and only brush with mains voltage while still at school, but once was enough.)

A short length of appropriate diameter heat shrink works too (yellow in this case). (Not AJ in the pic of course—just some other super fine NP amp [+Mark Johnson])

Attachments

• pfarrell-M2X-Ishi.jpg
    pfarrell-M2X-Ishi.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 504
Thanks for the reply.

This does look like a nice solution.

However, I found a cabinet already with the on/off switch installed in the front panel.

I figured it didn't matter and people were putting them in the back due to the fact that the 4U and 5U cases have holes in the back for the switch.

Added 4 Nichicon KG series caps into the previously empty mounts on my power board. Amp is again stable with bias and offset after 2 hours of setup burn in. Had a quick listening session to make sure things sounded good. I'll get more time to listen tonight and give my impressions with my upgrade/modification.

Attachments

• 20200829_161001_HDR.jpg
    20200829_161001_HDR.jpg
    822.5 KB · Views: 369
I am building the Aleph J with a couple of friends across the country. We’re using Zoom to video conference and go through preparations. I looked at the Panasonic 0.47R 3W ERX resistors and noticed they have a stripe on one end of the body. Is there any significance to this stripe? I’ve never known resistors to have any polarity or directionality. I looked in the data sheet and nothing stood out to me about that marking.

I have completed the power supply board and the two amp boards. I am placing an order for a black 4U Deluxe Aluminum chassis with handles. I’ve got everything else to finish it once the chassis comes in.

BF2B5D8D-5FD5-4F7D-B0C4-8E5B9550E624.jpeg
4B99C348-415D-4509-BB87-09B1499611F0.jpeg
DF11C2A6-BB07-4FBA-BD64-8B6B7791EA67.jpeg
A467DB18-F01F-4B1A-9D10-0C68E0AA470E.jpeg
EB990818-2394-43C7-8E70-D7D928FBC60C.jpeg

This build guide has been extremely helpful. Thanks again to 6L6 and all for sharing your knowledge and experience.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Looks beautiful! :D

Remove the output snubber. Not needed nor helpful for a Class-A amp.

Are the grounds tied together on the bottom? Just checking...

Are you stacking another PSU board on top of this one? Curious about the blade connectors installed around the periphery.

Thanks all for the input/feedback.

I will remove the PSU output snubber. The jumpers between the power supply grounds are underneath. I just thought I’d have lugs in case it makes sense to to use the lugs rather than the terminal blocks. I might go with a dual mono configuration in the future.

As for the LTP Bias pots, I set both pots to 1.000 kohms.