Aleph J illustrated build guide

Joined 2012
Paid Member
You need to do what I do when I don't know or understand something - I search the internet. If you search "bridge rectifier", you will find the answer. The answer will probably include an explanation of workings of the power supply. For instance:

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/diode_6.html

This is only one webpage. There are others. Seek more than one in your research.

I started out with no knowledge, the same as you. Every time I had a question, I did an internet search and I would usually find the answer. If I still did not fully understand, then I would seek clarification.

Either of the two bridge rectifiers will work. One has a maximum voltage rating of 200V and the other has maximum voltage rating of 600V. In this application it will see perhaps 30V maximum, if that.

13stoploss, I totally understand your frustration, but you can finish this as I did. AJ was my very first project and my knowledge level was not too different from yours.

- What's the difference between 3502 and 3506?

Check pdf at Mouser. You can find Maximum Repetitive Reverse Voltage is different between 3502 and 3506, 200V vs 600V. This means 3506 is more robust, but since our PSU only output 20V or so, both perfectly work fine. Bridge rectifier is 4 diodes in one body for convenience. So you can choose either 2 rectifiers attached to the case or 8 diodes soldered on PSU PCB. You don't need both.

You breakup your questions, and someone would answer one by one, don't worry.

Last edited:
Yep, I read the first 70 pages. Page one mentions an older, smaller version of the PSU that 6L6 had on hand. That's when I first freaked out, thinking, "This isn't in the BOM." And something about Diode bridges. This is what I mean--this stuff should be on the Aleph J Kit store page.

I think that the BOM, and the initial build guide, reflect the then current thinking on available parts and how to employ them. It's probably not realistic to hope for a BOM and build instructions that are kept current with the latest and greatest parts suggestions made by subsequent builders over the years in the surprisingly large number of threads devoted to this amplifier.

With regard to the power supply, you will notice that there has been a complete build thread on the newer board, showing alternative constructions depending on whether you want to employ monolithic bridges or discrete diodes.

There's no substitute for doing at least some study and acquiring a basic level of familiarity with the parts involved in a basic Pass power supply, especially when improper construction and implementation can potentially cause problems that extend even to your health. The good(?) thing is that once you've built your first amp, the next three or four are nice and simple.

Good luck with the build - Pat

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi, newb here. I've just read 70 pages. Do I need to keep reading the next 470? Or is post #4 the gist of what's best to come? I'm experienced soldering and have built previous hum-free Decware DIY tube amps, but that's because I followed instructions.

I literally have no idea how this magic works, and all these acronyms and measurements in the first 70 pages are wildly over my head. I own a digital multimeter, but turning it on is the extent to my knowledge on how to use it.

I bought the BOM.
I bought the extras kit.
I bought a 4U that will ship after Italian summer holiday.
Store was out of LEDs and back panel kit.

Kinda frustrated that "Aleph J Kit" in the store page didn't say anything about power supply board. And I don't even know what a rectifier is, but I don't see that in the BOM either. You seasoned pros probably already know all this stuff, but this build guide and the kit page suggests that beginners can follow along. It would've been cool if the "Aleph J Kit" in the store said, "This BOM, and this BOM, and this chassis, and this transformer, etc."

So:

- Will the v3 PSU in the store work for this build?
- What other parts do I need that aren't listed above? I don't have a parts-bin stash like some of ya'll.

Yes it is a good idea, an excellent idea to read the entire thing. It isn't as onerous as it seems, much of the posts are just banter.

The first thing you need to do is learn about all the parts used in these builds and be able to identify them. It's strange at first, but it becomes repetitive, and familiarity grows. You also need to be accomplished at proper soldering.

As you read you will have questions, like the bridges you inquired about. This forum is a God send for this hobby, knowledgeable people, ability to post pics, etc. When I first started with tubes, it was all telephone calls and magazines...I didn't even own a computer!

As you read, much is banter you can blow past. As you develop questions about what you are reading and note them by post number for later reference. Same with parts substitutions and new developments, note them by post number also.

Once finished, you have your own guide to use and develop questions. The next build will be much easier, especially power supply as parts are mostly similar across the builds.

Like anything there is a learning curve to getting comfortable. Many come here requesting kits...while some kits have hit the store, most are just core parts.

Read all the build guides, they will keep going over the same sort of builds from different perspectives and pics. Others will have asked the same questions you have, and you can note them and then refer back to it when the answer pops up.

This site really doesn't deal with complete beginner proof kits, with the exception of ACA. Most "kits" have the hard to get stuff, but then you are left to your own knowledge and knowledge of those you ask.

Try to resist a bunch of "improvements" until you have an amp built per the guide. Then ask and try your improvements on a working unit. Otherwise it may be more difficult for others to help troubleshoot.

Last thing, as you read these guides, notice when the members who are extremely knowledgeable answer questions and note their answers by post #.

Your next build will be much more straight forward.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You need to do what I do when I don't know or understand something - I search the internet. If you search "bridge rectifier", you will find the answer. The answer will probably include an explanation of workings of the power supply. For instance:

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/diode/diode_6.html

This is only one webpage. There are others. Seek more than one in your research.

I started out with no knowledge, the same as you. Every time I had a question, I did an internet search and I would usually find the answer. If I still did not fully understand, then I would seek clarification.

Either of the two bridge rectifiers will work. One has a maximum voltage rating of 200V and the other has maximum voltage rating of 600V. In this application it will see perhaps 30V maximum, if that.

If I recall correctly, you were the one who posted in a conversation concerning difficulty of using this sites search function....your answer works quite well, google search and reference DIYAudio in the search terms. I think it was you? Anyway it works well for me!

Great link, BTW.

Russellc

When you get the metal bracket for mounting your transformer, make note of the orientation as it is currently, and try to remount it in the same orientation. It is likely that you found a configuration that was less conducive to producing hum.
Oh, and the unpopulated cap locations in the PSU are driving me nutz. That’s my problem, not yours, but you do have an opportunity to try something. After you have had a few days to listen to your new amp , try installing some high quality* capacitors of 2200 uF or 4700 uF in those empty spots. Listen to the amp some more.

* I like Nichicon KG or KS series

Well, I decided to order 4 of these LKG1V332MESYBK Nichicon | Mouser

I have put around 50 hours of listening in on my amp and at this point, curiosity has gotten the better of me. Perhaps this coming weekend I'll get a chance to pull the PSB out, mount these, reassemble, and set the amp again. I'll be sure to report back.

It's a bummer that we can search 4 letter words but not 3 letter words! :D

This is the problem not only on this forum.
Google search is easy and real help.
If you want to search for example on diyaudio forum.
Write
And after space put your search interest like this.
Or evern specific in Pass Labs threads.

Pretty sure I already know the answer, but I overthink stuff like this.

I picked up an AN-4218, not realizing that the AS-4218 might be the better choice. In the grand scheme of things $60 is not crazy, should I grab an AS-4218 and find something else to use the AN for?

What’s the difference between the AS and AN series?

Well, everybody always build more than one amp, so it's not an altogether crazy idea. :)

Might as well start collecting parts for M2x as well. :yes:

I know, there was an M2x setup w/ an AS-4218 that I came very close to picking up... I'm sure at some point I'll build another.

I have a hard time believing that the AS vs AN transformer is going to be what ruins my audio experience, but if anyone said there was a definite improvement I think I could always find something else to build... Or a super powered preamp.