Aleph J illustrated build guide

I was looking at the parallel connection of the MOSFET's at the output and was wondering about the exact same thing, while considering Nelson's patent which shows a single MOSFET in the output stage. So, yes, the calculated AC gain for paralleled MOSFET's should probably be 2 X 20.83% which is close to what Nelson's says is the real-life AC gain.

The bit that really confused me is that, according to the patent, the transition from 4 MOSFET's in the output, to 5 MOSFET's in the output, would bring the AC gain of more than 1 (more than 100%).

Is this amp a single-ended amp?

Yes.

I know for sure that, by removing the 4 X 0.47ohm resistors, and replacing them with a nice piece of copper or silver ribbon on the PCB, will do wonders for my speakers. This could qualify as a second question, but to this one, I already know the answer.

How SURE are you about this? When I first started looking at the Aleph, I thought these resistors are in between the amplifier output and the speakers, and I thought they would reduce the damping factor. The longer I looked, the more I understood that this is not really the case. The resistors are the output sensing resistors for the Aleph current source. The current source compensates for the "damping that would be lost" in these resistors.

The amp is an absolute stunner, but I firmly believe that, albeit the price I'll pay re efficiency, I will gain a lot in sound quality - by disabling the AC gain. But, it has to be disabled by removal of the 4 paralleled resistors - this will provide a two-fold benefit, compared to just removing the R24, for example.

If you replace the current sensing resistors by a wire link, the AC sensing will not sense anything from the output, so it will not convey any AC signal to the current source. You can therefore remove the RC link to the base of the BJT transistor in the Aleph current source. You'll end up with a constant current source. Just take a look at the Zen amps that preceded the Aleph. Also take look at how the Zen (constant current source) and the Aleph (AC variable current source) compare to each other: http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_zv2.pdf

Joined 2019
Paid Member
FERD observations

I'm interested to hear about the results using the FERD rectifiers. I have some, but haven't gotten around to trying them yet. They will probably go into my Zen V4 build first, as that hasn't been buttoned up yet.

So, I’ve lived with the FERD diodes in my new discrete boards for a few days now and have to say I’m really impressed. Unfortunately, this is also my first experience with a discrete bridge, having used the monolith rectifier bridges until now. So I’m not sure if the improved bottom end, separation, and control are the discrete setup or the FERDs - or a mixture of both. Either way, my AJ has never sounded so good, which I’m sure can also be attributed to the dual mono arrangement. One thing I can say though - the FERDs are surprisingly cool, and my rail voltage increased by 1 volt over the monolith bridges.

Thanks Mark Johnson for the heads up on these!

^ Yes, I have some of those to try. First amp be my Zen V4, which currently has a set of FEP30 diodes. The old Hafler transformers I'm using are center tapped, so I'm using half of the rectifier PCBs that come with the store PSU boards. The Singing Bush may also get these, if the Zen V4 goes well. I have another set of the 20 Amp FERD diodes to try with a filament power supply for a tube-based preamp which may front my MoFo

My Aleph J has two sets of LVB2560 bridge rectifiers. It is slated to eventually get a set of SMT LT4320 based rectifiers sometime down the road.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
It's almost Biblical: Good things come to those who ... read datasheets .

DigiKey parametric search too. Filter out the scrawny parts, then sort on the column "Max Forward Voltage". Aaaah. You'll find that Mouser stocks about 99% of the diodes that DigiKey indexes. So it's not a waste of time to use DigiKey's site to help you shop at Mouser.

_

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
So, I’ve lived with the FERD diodes in my new discrete boards for a few days now and have to say I’m really impressed. Unfortunately, this is also my first experience with a discrete bridge, having used the monolith rectifier bridges until now. So I’m not sure if the improved bottom end, separation, and control are the discrete setup or the FERDs - or a mixture of both. Either way, my AJ has never sounded so good, which I’m sure can also be attributed to the dual mono arrangement. One thing I can say though - the FERDs are surprisingly cool, and my rail voltage increased by 1 volt over the monolith bridges.

Thanks Mark Johnson for the heads up on these!

Which part did you end up going with?

Russellc

Matching the MOSFETs

The last time I went through this exercise it took over 50x MOSFETs to get enough close matches.

I've just bought a tube of 25x from Farnell and the first 5x are all within 1.0% of each other, two pairs within 0.3% of each other.

Has the manufacturing process improved to the extent that they are now much closer when made or have I just been exceptionally lucky ?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
If you order in quantity of 25, that’s almost always going to be a ‘stick’ of TO-247 devices, and also very likely from the same production batch, and the same wafer. The N- devices will be really close in match , and the P-devices will be looser, but still pretty darn good, as the P- devices have more manufacturing variances.

I am out of luck with 2K trimpots for R7, the last value in stock I have is 5K. I have used 5K as replacement in most of my circuits without much of hestation, but I am bit concerned here. I also notice there is a parallel 1K as R7 in the circuit which I don't see in many circuits built on this forum. Technically the trimpot would reduce R7 to a fairly low value if I go by the circuit daigram...wanted to check if I could go ahead with the 5K trimpot with 1K resistor is parallel.

I also notice there is a parallel 1K as R7 in the circuit which I don't see in many circuits built on this forum.

This confused me for a while, too, but I think it's there as an artifact of the PCB design process. The PCB permits you to use either a trimpot or a fixed resistor, but to allow both of those components to be used in the exact same place in the circuit, the PCB software treats them as parallel, even though only one is supposed to be installed at a time.