Aleph J illustrated build guide

BTW, Mary Ann over ginger, no contest IMHO!

Agreed :D

You will love the 30 volt rail BA3. One of my favorites of all of them. I have a box of parts for two Balanced mono block versions, some day.

Can't wait. I've got a 600VA 24v Antek bolted into the 5U already! The power supply build out will be on slow work days over the next couple of weeks (I am fortunate enough to work from home).

Pretty sure I need to up my game, and get some connectors built into my 4U so I can swap between M2 and AJ with zero soldering. I have a feeling I'm going to need easy access to both of them.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Agreed :D

Can't wait. I've got a 600VA 24v Antek bolted into the 5U already! The power supply build out will be on slow work days over the next couple of weeks (I am fortunate enough to work from home).

Pretty sure I need to up my game, and get some connectors built into my 4U so I can swap between M2 and AJ with zero soldering. I have a feeling I'm going to need easy access to both of them.

Mines in a 5U with a 1000 VA transformer I had bought for a F5 Turbo build. Great amp.

You will wear out the connectors out switching between those two. Trust me, you will love them both, build one, then the other.

Russellc

Just build the Aleph J...don't get stalled by "should I build this or should I build that"...just start building!

You got me on the way with the Toshiba's you sent me.

5U Deluxe Chassis, Universal PS board and parts, Aleph J boards and transistor kit, K-therm are all on hand.
Still need to order remainder of Aleph J board stuffing parts.
M-3 thread, rass standoffs are okay, yes?

Should have time become available about 1Dec to get to work on the AJ, then tally-ho!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You got me on the way with the Toshiba's you sent me.

5U Deluxe Chassis, Universal PS board and parts, Aleph J boards and transistor kit, K-therm are all on hand.
Still need to order remainder of Aleph J board stuffing parts.
M-3 thread, rass standoffs are okay, yes?

Should have time become available about 1Dec to get to work on the AJ, then tally-ho!

Snag the back panel parts kit, it has really nice hardware for board mounting included

Russellc

Hi,

I have a question about the sound of the Aleph J. I recently finished building the M2, which I think sounds great. I had purchased a fully finished F6 build from another member a while back, but I am not crazy about the sound. One of my friends recently let me borrow his Pass Aleph 3, and I think that one sounds great as well.

So I am thinking of building a set of Aleph J boards to replace the F6 boards in the amp I purchased. Does the Aleph J sound similar to the Aleph 3? And is it different enough from the M2 to warrant building a set of boards?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hi,

I have a question about the sound of the Aleph J. I recently finished building the M2, which I think sounds great. I had purchased a fully finished F6 build from another member a while back, but I am not crazy about the sound. One of my friends recently let me borrow his Pass Aleph 3, and I think that one sounds great as well.

So I am thinking of building a set of Aleph J boards to replace the F6 boards in the amp I purchased. Does the Aleph J sound similar to the Aleph 3? And is it different enough from the M2 to warrant building a set of boards?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I made both, an AJ and M2 and they do sound different to warrant making both. I’m not really good at explaining the sound but the AJ sounds a little thicker yet smooth compared to the M2. I like the M2 a little more but the AJ sounds great too. I swap out each amp every couple weeks

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Make sure to order 8mm standoffs .

It's YOUR amplifier, feel free to build it any way you like. But remember that the official M2x Bill Of Materials (excerpt below) calls for 7mm standoffs, not 8. You could spend a moment pondering which is better, and how much better.

_

Attachments

• bomster.png
    bomster.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 607
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It's YOUR amplifier, feel free to build it any way you like. But remember that the official M2x Bill Of Materials (excerpt below) calls for 7mm standoffs, not 8. You could spend a moment pondering which is better, and how much better.

_

As far as I ponder as far as heat sink/amp board standoffs are the ones included in the stores rear panel parts kits. They are the bomb.

Russellc

I don't have an Aleph 3, but did spend a great deal of time comparing my Aleph-X with 9610 mosfet input (very similar to Aleph 3 topology) to the same amp with 2SJ74 jFet input (very similar to Aleph-J topology).

I found these two versions of the Aleph-X amp to be VERY similar. A direct comparison (same music track: one channel with mosfet input, other channel with jFet input at the same time) the jFet version provided just a *bit* more treble and just a *bit* less midrange. We're talking very small differences here. The imaging and sound stage remained very similar.

I would also conclude that if you really like the Aleph-3, you'll also really like the Aleph-J.

Soundhappy - not just yet, lots of things in motion still. Now that Thanksgiving break is in the past, it's back to the daily grind of coming home from work, driving the kids around to various activities, and getting some other things done around the house. I haven't had the time to relax with a glass of wine, my new amps, and a few LPs just yet. I'm also in the process of replacing my AVR with a preamp and a string of my DIY amps. At present, it will be a 3-channel ACA for center and surrounds. This will allow me to swap Aleph-J and M2 in for left and right channels so I can do some comparisons. I also need to build a mains switch box so that my amps come up via remote control with the preamp so the system remains family friendly. I've got another week or so on these projects...

With the Aleph-J, I was concerned about the heat and using only two of those sinks per channel but it turns out that each sink can bake off ~60w of heat without any trouble (at least during the winter months when the house is cooler). After my first test run, I was actually looking for a way to push the bias even higher ;) The highest I can go by adjusting R27 (200k multi turn pot) is 1.25A per transistor with 21v rails. This is pretty much "ideal" for the Aleph-J with an 8R speaker, though.

Done quite a few hours on the monoblock Aleph Js now. To me the sound is good, well detailed and enjoyable but not significantly better than my class Ds which come across as more theatrical while the class ABs seem a bit muddy, a bit slow and nothing special. Obviously the size, power consumption and heat of the As is a consideration. I need to swap back now to check my impressions