Aleph J illustrated build guide

That's annoying. They aren't listed anywhere I could find. I'll have to send a request about that. Along with a parts list. Or is there an easier way with that as well? Like just ask for the bits to make the Aleph J? Will they do that for me?
I was assuming I'd have to get some there, some at Mouser and some at Digikey. It's hard to find out about this stuff when you've just arrived.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
optimum cases for FW format amps are 4U/400 , when speaking of Modushop models

5U/400 being one for higher dissipation , and 5U/500 being Motherload of cases

300 deep, generally - I'm finding them just too tight

and - I'm always buying base plate , nice to have bottom plate as just cover , free of nuts and bolts

Thanks Dennis. It's just getting a bit expensive right now. You see by the time it gets shipped to Australia it's getting towards $300 just for the sinks or $500 for the case without shipping. If I get sinks locally for $100 I'll be happy to do my own tapping and will probably fabricate the rest for another $100.
That's more left in the bank for the bits I can't make. Aluminium is pretty easy to work with, I can even saw it on my bandsaw. I made some hefty cases for our two way radios in the fire brigade many years ago ,so they could rough it in the back of anyone's ute and likely survive. Worked well too.
And it's also more DIY .

optimum cases for FW format amps are 4U/400...
300 deep, generally - I'm finding them just too tight...
This comes as a surprise to me. I was going to order in the DIY Audio Store the 4U Deluxe Aluminum case, which is only available at 300mm deep with the pre-tapped UMS specification, and which is described as ideal for F-1, F-2, F-3, F-4, F-5, F-5 Turbo, F-6, Aleph J, etc.

As is, I don't know where in my apartment could I host such a monolithic block as the 4U x 300. If I need to go to 5U x 400, then I am probably not going to be able to put it anywhere. :(

edit: I am wondering why you cannot order the UMS tapped heatsinks in the DIY for 4U x 400?

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
This comes as a surprise to me. I was going to order in the DIY Audio Store the 4U Deluxe Aluminum case, which is only available at 300mm deep with the pre-tapped UMS specification, and which is described as ideal for F-1, F-2, F-3, F-4, F-5, F-5 Turbo, F-6, Aleph J, etc.that said, can never have too much heatsink, and plenty of room is nice.

As is, I don't know where in my apartment could I host such a monolithic block as the 4U x 300. If I need to go to 5U x 400, then I am probably not going to be able to put it anywhere. :(

edit: I am wondering why you cannot order the UMS tapped heatsinks in the DIY for 4U x 400?

I have built F6, M2, Aleph J, in Deluxe 4 case. If you want dual mono things will get tight. I used Antek 500 va transformer in each of the mentioned cases with plenty of room.

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
I have built my DIY case on a pair of 4U / 400 mm heatsinks (160 x 400 mm) that I had a machine shop cut for me from a bigger one that I got used.

With a well-ventilated baseplate and top plate, and set on somewhat taller feet (40 mm), this case is good for up to 100W per side.

With that, I can leave my hands on the sinks indefinitely (well, except for the hottest weeks of this summer :p)

Best regards,
Claas

Attachments

• Case 4Ux400 AJ-M2.jpg
    Case 4Ux400 AJ-M2.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 525
  • Case 4Ux400 M2 Transformer Shield.jpg
    Case 4Ux400 M2 Transformer Shield.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 531
  • Case 4Ux400 AJ-M2 top.jpg
    Case 4Ux400 AJ-M2 top.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 513