Aleph J for Universal Mounting Spec

Fellas

One potentially stupid query. I have for this amp's PSU one Amplimo 650VA trafo with 2 18V secondaries and 2 of the black BrianGT CCRC PSU boards, each stuffed with 6 33000uF caps.

Do I use 4 bridges so that I have 2 per board and 2 per secondary, or do I use 2 bridges giving 1 bridge per secondary and then split from there to the 2 PSU boards?

Follow-through and follow-up

As I mentioned before my available time to work on audio projects is very limited, which sometimes causes delays in completing a build. Here are the final steps I took to resolve the remaining issues with the DIY Aleph J clone using the boards designed by Didiet.

After I determined that both the Ultrafast Recovery and Soft Recovery diodes caused mechanical hum in the transformers, I removed them from the boards and attached Fairchild bridges to the chassis perforated insert.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The two transformers are stacked in the center of the chassis. The top one is upside-down (yes, you can do that) just because of the limited length of the wires. What is not visible in the picture is that the bottom transformer has its own top plate, lock washer and nut installed. Using the oscilloscope attached to the output I started one channel and carefully rotated the transformer until no noise was induced into the output. I then locked it in place so rotating the top one would not disturb it.

attachment.php

I first tried to return the PSU ground to AC ground with wires and thermistors. Dropping the CL-60s straight to the chassis floor gave me the best results.

attachment.php

Below you can see the AC connections including the ground connection close to where it enters the chassis.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is how the back panel looks from inside the case.

attachment.php

And this is the view from the outside.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DiodesRemoved.JPG
    DiodesRemoved.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 1,253
  • Bridges1.JPG
    Bridges1.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 1,276
  • Bridges2.JPG
    Bridges2.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 1,239
  • StackedTrafos.JPG
    StackedTrafos.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 1,334
  • PSUGround.JPG
    PSUGround.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 1,776
  • ACConnections1.JPG
    ACConnections1.JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 1,218
  • ACConnections2.JPG
    ACConnections2.JPG
    272 KB · Views: 1,208
  • ACConnections3.JPG
    ACConnections3.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 1,726
  • BackPanelInterior.JPG
    BackPanelInterior.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 1,717
  • BackPanelExterior.JPG
    BackPanelExterior.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 1,226
Final words...

The amplifier sounds fantastic! As for the noise issues, pausing the music and getting the ear close to the speaker I still could not hear any noise.

Things I have learned:

1) Didiet's boards are good
2) MUR and MSR diodes are not well suited for this application
3) Stacking transformers is a non-issue
4) Flipping one of them upside-down is not an issue either
5) Sometimes a wire connecting PSU ground to earth can be noisier than no wire at all

Last edited:
Jim,

I am really glad to have purchased the perforated insert as it was very helpful in experimenting with the different setups. It went in and out of the case so many times we became good friends. It even stopped biting my fingertips after a while. Either that or I learned how to hold it properly.

:)

I cannot see the rerctifiers being the issue unless they are underspec'd. The transformers are a little on the small side and could be the cause of the hum. I used mur860's in an f5t build and had no issue at all and they were being worked really hard. Grounding is a funny thing and you have to be careful in placing the blame. There is no reason that i no of that would cause a Schottky diode to induce hum when a standard didoe does not.

I wonder though if it is not the fact that the BrianGT PSU boards forces you to use one bridge for both secondaries of the transformer, where he now uses one bridge per secondary via the block devices.

I seem to recall a previous posting by NP indicating that sharing a bridge between 2 secondaries may induce mechanical hum in the transformers if DC is passed back into the secondaries.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I wonder though if it is not the fact that the BrianGT PSU boards forces you to use one bridge for both secondaries of the transformer, where he now uses one bridge per secondary via the block devices.

A very fair conclusion. I have used the BrianGT PSU once before, with TO-220 high-speed devices and the amp (an F5) is amongst the quietest I've built.

That is only an observation - not trying to discount your idea, merely share my experience with it.

I seem to recall a previous posting by NP indicating that sharing a bridge between 2 secondaries may induce mechanical hum in the transformers if DC is passed back into the secondaries.

That is my understanding of it as well.

Guys, just pay attention to the language I used, which was carefully chosen:

"MUR and MSR diodes are not well suited for this application"

Meaning exactly what is being discussed here: a single bridge of discrete devices being overtaxed in the way they were used.

I am not discarding MUR and MSR as good diodes. I also have not tested Schottky devices. What is clear is that once I replaced the four diodes with two external bridges, the mechanical hum disappeared.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I am not discarding MUR and MSR as good diodes... ...What is clear is that once I replaced the four diodes with two external bridges, the mechanical hum disappeared.

I'm not surprised, I have been having similar issues with the F5T, and the pair of (slow) diode bridges is helping.

I'm sure there are plenty of builds with high-speed devices that are quiet. My (very limited) experience is showing me that the normal bridges might be a better place to begin for most builders, to keep issues to a minimum.

This leads to another question - is there any TO-220 or TO-247 discrete, slow diode of suitable rating that could be used in the BrianGT boards? Perhaps the single bridge isn't necessarily the issue -- the factory Aleph's were single bridge.