Aleph J Dim Bulb Tester Post

My pleasure... proper grounding and bonding is key in regards to safety. BTW, If your box is metal, it will also need a ground jumper. While I'm at it... don't buy the cheap outlets with push in terminals (backstab) spend a couple extra bucks. Screw terminals with pressure plates always and never gauge the quality of the connection by screw pressure alone. Pull on the wire-

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Wired DBT?
20240416_113754 (FILEminimizer).jpg 20240416_113826 (FILEminimizer).jpg

Grab your 25W bulb and socket and plug it in to the switched outlet. Reading resistance from the upper and lower screws on the input side should alternate OL- ~40R as you throw the switch. When that's done, the hot will run from that upper screw (outlet adjacent) to the brass or black screw on the duplex. This will correspond to the narrow blade. The neutral will tie down opposite under a silver screw and will correspond to the wide blade and will be a single wire direct from your pigtail. The switch/outlet side does not get a neutral connection.

• Thank You
@seventenths
I'm really only familiar (and happy) with the solid conductors we used to specify for the building systems we designed.
I bow to your superior experience with stranded conductors. "Pressure plates"? The wiring devices I'm know only have a screw that secures against the brass component (or structural frame for the "green" ground screw) of the device.

@mhenschel They're fine, I'm just picky. Power and light isn't my everyday thing but when it comes up, it's usually pipe and stranded thhn so it's either crimp and heatshrink everything or use devices with pressure/contact terminals. The same applies to corded setups like this but a couple of crimps at the workbench are nbd. I dropped wirenuts for wago lever locks for the same reason and will never go back

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Or devices has been stored and not used for a long time.
In addition to the fuse holder, the bulb can also be connect across the power switch before plugging into an outlet or receptacle. If the bulb does not light up, turn on the power switch to bypass the bulb.
You can re form caps in old amp with variac. Well, if still "reformable" anyway. Just take slow ramp up over long time 😜

@Toys4Boys right on, all set there? The dbt is such a useful tool. One of the few areas in life where I rarely make a mistake is wiring but I still lean back and close one eye when I throw the switch. Probably shell shock from connecting a cap bank backwards ~15 years ago...
@Russellc lol, dude... treat yourself to something nice ;) +1 on the Greenlee 1917s or 1955s. Your manicurist will love you.

Reactions: 1 users
A .22 pistol doesn't produce the most intimidating retort but a quick couple of pops behind you in your suburban kitchen adds an extra dimension to the experience. Had my wife been in the vicinity, I might not have lived to tell the tale.
In all seriousness, safety should always be front and center. In recent years, I've cut a 3/4"x 1/8" kerf through the middle of my finger tip, sent a spark from a grinder into a large charcoal airfilter drawing over 1000 cfm and shot molten hellfire across my shop hammer-welding Damascus steel with a bit too much flux and a heavy hand.
A straight up, living, breathing " don't be like Bob" advert but I did eventually get the lesson.