Aleph 5 playing...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here upside down (the dog isn't):

Attachments

• aleph5photo14.jpg
    aleph5photo14.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 773
Duck-Twacy said:
Lucas,
Aren't you worried that its a 4 ohm speaker?

And are you also going to build the sub with the 12" Eton.
Edit O, yes you wrote so in the speaker thread. Active or passive Xover??

Btw. I was thinking of building the Eton Duetta XXL, but I am now planning for a Lambda + Eton + Thiel 3-way system (Aleph for the mid/high)

Hi Duck,

I was a bit concerned that it is a 4 Ohm speaker. That is why I changed the bias-setting of my Aleph 5 according to the experiences of WuffWaff...

I am really satisfied with the sound now, although I am of course still missing the sub 100 Hz area... But that will change!

I am still not sure what kind of subs I will build...
Maybe two 20 cm woofers a piece. Or maybe 2 times 25 cm.
It will surely be an active system.
They will stand, of course, under these "satelites".
It must a system capable of delivering 30 up to 150 Hz flat.

Any suggestions appreciated!

What is the Lambda/Eton/Thiel? Please tell us more!

Regards,

Lucas

Lucas_G said:

Hi Duck,

I was a bit concerned that it is a 4 Ohm speaker. That is why I changed the bias-setting of my Aleph 5 according to the experiences of WuffWaff...

I am really satisfied with the sound now, although I am of course still missing the sub 100 Hz area... But that will change!

I am still not sure what kind of subs I will build...
Maybe two 20 cm woofers a piece. Or maybe 2 times 25 cm.
It will surely be an active system.
They will stand, of course, under these "satelites".
It must a system capable of delivering 30 up to 150 Hz flat.

Any suggestions appreciated!

What is the Lambda/Eton/Thiel? Please tell us more!

Regards,

Lucas

The bias boost will help I guess.

Frequency graph looks very good.

I'm just planning to build me a 3-way system (with partial active Xover) with these units. Nothing definite yet, still has to finish my Aleph5 first. (see here for some more info)

PS You actually have an f3 of somewhere around 80 Hz now (maybe a little better because of room boost)?

Duck-Twacy said:

The bias boost will help I guess.

PS You actually have an f3 of somewhere around 80 Hz now (maybe a little better because of room boost)?

Hi Duck,

Regarding the bias boost I still don't fully understand the function of R19. That is why I just posted a question here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=159195#post159195

Yes the f3 is not that low. However the two octaves from 20 to 80 Hz are dearly missing since they can bring so much more depth and emotion to music. Also they effect our perception of the higher frequencies since we can pay more attention to higher frequencies because our mind is not burdened with filling in the ground-frequencies of bass-tones of which we hear inly their upper harmonics... So I am keen on getting this done as well.

Regards,

Lucas

Yesterday, I did some testing of the Aleph 5 in a shop here in the Netherlands.

We listended to them in a combination of Meridian CD player, Mark Levinson Preamplifier.

First we tried small Dynaudio speakers (the much acclaimed new jubileum models...)

They didn't sound bad, but were unable to fill the large room we were listening in.

Then we tried the newest and largest B&W Nautilus 800.
I am not a fan of these speakers, beause they tend to sound dull and dead at lower to medium volume levels. At very high levels they finally begin to shine somewhat.
However, they sounded much more musical at medium levels than they did with Mark Levinson Monoblocks. At very high levels the mid/high range became very nice indeed, but the bass became a little less controlled (would need an Aleph 2, I guess).

All in all, the people that work in this HiFii shop were quite astonished with the warm and pleasant sound and also with the still high level of controll these Alephs bring in. They used to be somewhat sceptical with DIY gear, but now that seems to be a thing from the past!

Lucas.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.