Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Can you clarify what is B of V101 again? 143.9 is not right.

Hi Cl00sed,
Also, if you can take the time to hand write or use paint program to enter values above into actual schematic it will save us from having to do that ourselves. The visual image of the whole amp with DC setpoints is what we need to see the problem. I can see that gate voltage on V131 appears to be too small. There is thus no current supplied by the Aleph CCS.

Thanks,
X

Yes X, the B value is of v101 is 143.9

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
V131
S 22
D. 26.5
G. 26.3

V132
S. 22
D. -26.57
G. 19.7

Bc547c
C 27.35
B 23
E 23

V103
E -26.75
C 20.6
B -26.14

V101
E 0.75
C -26.3
B 143.9

V102
E 0.75
C -26.7
B 9.94

Compare your DC setpoints to the schematic in post 1. They will be a little different due to variations in parts and R131:132 but should not be too far off.

659376d1517198709-aksa-lender-mos-hybrid-aleph-alpha-amplifier-alpha-20w-pchan-schematic-png

We can immediately see that the voltage of the collector of BC547 should be about 5v and emitter close to 0v. Until that is true, you will jot have the correct bias current. Try changing out your BC547 for a new one. Even a BC550, or BC546 can work. Measure R131 to make sure it’s not open circuit.

Another observation is that the two KSA992’s should have their Bases about 0v. But if there is no bias current, feedback will be -22v. This will unbalance the LTP and it will try to swing the other way to drive output positive since it is acting like an opamp.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think the output DC offset is -23v because the PMOS is on but NMOS is off. Raj seems to be showing positive voltages where they should be negative. Q4 on Hugh’s schematic is V121 on JPS64’s schematic which matches the board silkscreen.

I suspect that BC547 is dead. Please swap for a new BC series NPN (546/547/550).

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The layout was designed for BC547 so the pinout cannot be the issue. Given that Raj had an incorrect 470R instead of 47R at R108, which has since, now fixed the DC offset problem from +23v to 53mV is progress, but the zero bias current still exists. I think is most likely an incorrect resistor value somewhere in Aleph CCS block. A bad cold solder joint, or open circuit on R121/122/123 or a major component like the R131 source resistor is another suspect - especially if using budget bright blue painted 3W Aliexpress metal film resistors. They sometimes act like fusable links and blow out upon first current loading, going open circuit henceforth. Panasonic ERX series (matte finish light blue) are really the only reliable and low distortion resistors to use here. Vishay wirewound green ceramic body ones can work reliably here, but are higher distortion.

I think your offset is OK, Rajesh, but next is WHY is the upper mosfet not turning on?
What is the voltage from COLLECTOR of BC547C active CCS transistor to EMITTER?
It should be around 5V.
If it is that voltage, what is the gate voltage from the upper nmos GATE to output of the amp, the speaker output point? It too should be around 5V. If not, we know that transistor is not turning on, or if yes, it is not passing it's potential to the gate of the nmos.

Hugh

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Hugh,
The info Raj gave earlier shows that the G on the upper NMOS is the same as the drain or rail at 27.6v. When voltage below R122 is same as upper rail, I think it means there is no current flow through the BC547. The collector of the BC547 was 27.7v and emitter was 23.4v same as the base at 23.4v. If there was a bad open circuit on NMOS, the BC547 would still have the voltage drop and produce 5v at the collector regardless. So it looks like either the BC547 is bad, fake, mislabeled (PNP actually), or cold solder joint on the base or emitter etc.

Although all these numbers were pre-R108 error (470R vs 47R) correction. Now that the LTP is working properly, it changes voltage at emitter of BC547 since that was way off at 22v vs 0v at the output. We will have to wait for the new marked DC setpoints diagram before we can proceed.

Last edited:
Try replacing R17, the sense resistor under the source of the upper nmos. I'd suggest a 0.47R. I suspect this resistor might be open circuit.

Hugh

Ok Hugh, 0.47 for 4ohms would work?
One more thing regarding the psu left rail fix, do i need to change the R values (would that have gone?) or any things to check?

Am using the crc psu IMG_2818.jpg

Last edited: