Aksa Lender P-MOS Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I will let JPS64 answer that - but sounds like it might be possible as it would be an extra THAT chip and some solder jumpers if one wanted to make that an option. Or even have option of either as an input. The cleanest way is to do it at the LTP input level as that is naturally what an LTP does.

How is your Alpha build coming though Pinnocchio?

Last edited:
Well, I´ll think about and why not different sources, perhaps 4x RCA and 2x XLR?

THAT1200 or dual LME49720? or other type?

A lot of question, but tomorrow it´s holiday in Germany and announced bad weather.

I´ll meet my software developper to ask him about VU-METER software and analog gauge faisability; FFT software available; we´ll talk about the complexity for the ATMEGA microcontroller.

JP

Maybe two XLR outputs in the ALPHA preamp + relay attenuator controlled by microcontroller using PEC11 encoder as logarithmic volume control = killer preamp!

By the way, new very BIG DIY speakers, 93 dB.

Humble Homemade Hifi - Calpamos

More beautiful than the Juntuin washing machines :)

attachment.php

Maybe two XLR outputs in the ALPHA preamp + relay attenuator controlled by microcontroller using PEC11 encoder as logarithmic volume control = killer preamp!

By the way, new very BIG DIY speakers, 93 dB.

Humble Homemade Hifi - Calpamos

More beautiful than the Juntuin washing machines :)

[URL]http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=677907&d=1525116406[/URL][/QUOTE]

Wow, they really are beautiful! Wish I could make something as beautiful also :) but I bet they aren't made on bedroom's floor, like my amps and my speakers :D

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I like Juntuin’s better. These are just big rectangular bass reflex boxes with pro audio drivers. What’s so special?

That horn is diffraction based and may have some honking issues. I don’t think CD can ever sound as good a full range dynamic driver or AMT when done right.

DIY Sound Group has similar big 15in woofer pro audio drivers with CDs and horns for pretty competitive prices. This one is 99dB.

Denovo Audio Sentinel-15

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Well, I really full in love with Plutone graphs. 91 dB. Crossover without resistors!

Humble Homemade Hifi - Plutone

Well sort of OT, but ...

That’s a nice looking design - I like how the tweeter is under the woofer (probably for time alignment). Note any similarities with my main transient perfect FAST speakers?

However, even with a special Troels Graveson woofer, how do you get 91dB sensitivity after baffle step losses with an 8in woofer? That would require an 8in woofer with 96dB sensitivity, and I don’t believe one exists. Also note that the woofer is wired antiphase so you get a rarefaction pulse on what should be compression pulse, probably not transient perfect.

Attachments

• 9E78FEA9-88E8-4538-84F8-1FCE98735BEB.jpeg
    9E78FEA9-88E8-4538-84F8-1FCE98735BEB.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
...However, even with a special Troels Graveson woofer, how do you get 91dB sensitivity after baffle step losses with an 8in woofer? That would require an 8in woofer with 96dB sensitivity, and I don’t believe one exists. Also note that the woofer is wired antiphase so you get a rarefaction pulse on what should be compression pulse, probably not transient perfect.

With same woofer, Troels made the first speakers:

8008-CORNER

System sensitivity: 92 dB/2.8V, 1 meter.

and the crossover has resistors.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That speaker is called a “corner” for a reason as it is placed in a corner and you get a theoretical +9dB boost.

I believe that number of 92dB if corner loading is used. So without it, you get 83dB which is where I expect an 8in 2-way to be on a stand mount.

Mine are 82.4dB but that’s because I start with 88dB woofers.

Last edited:
Well, I really fallen in love with Plutone graphs. 91 dB. Crossover without resistors!

Humble Homemade Hifi - Plutone

I remember an earlier brillant marketing idea he had, capacitorless speaker, paper hatt. Because even the caps he rated 15, because he loves to sell them, are evil. For business it was better to use capacitors I guess, until he starts a resistor list maybe ?

I only take into account the graphs, especially the dispersion (very important to me, you know I have KEF Q100 coaxial speakers).

Getting the drivers match without using resistances is a great merit I think.

The only speakers that I strongly advise are my KEF, with my cheap tweaks. The problem is that the true sensitivity is between 84-85dB, too low for the ALPHA playing very good records with high DR. :(

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
STOP PRESS!

X and I have found an improvement to the ALPHA 20 and ALPHA BB which brings slight enhancement of high frequencies. It's small, but it's significant and you can hear it. We will post the improvement in another few hours when X is absolutely convinced it is what we think it is.

HD

Yes, on B.B., Hugh suggested that I disconnect C111 and add 22pF NP0 (or silver mica) in parallel with R154 (feedback resistor). I did so and the top end sounds like it has more clarity, perhaps less distortion, it’s subtle but perceptible. I think it’s an improvement to an already great sounding amp.

675435d1523845018-aksa-lender-mos-hybrid-aleph-alpha-amplifier-alpha-bb-production-schematic-v2-jpg

On Alpha 20 I guess it will be simply remove C105 and leave C113 at 18pF or increase to 22pF NP0 or silver mica - Hugh will confirm. It’s an easier operation on the Alpha 20 as the C113 is already there.

660029d1517503984-aksa-lender-mos-hybrid-aleph-alpha-amplifier-alpha-20w_schematic-v4-png

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi hugh, X,

do the ALPHA BB needs a preamplifier?

JP

The gain on B.B. is about 27dB so can be driven by most conventional line outputs. However, I am actually using an Aksa Lender Pream for volume control. A Preamp is strictly not needed though, unlike some Class A amps that are only 15dB or 20dB gain, where you do need a Preamp if you want to be able to drive it to clip.

Last edited: