AK4499EQ - Best DAC ever

Ok, let's try to get back to the topic...

Amir from ASR liked the Topping D90 very much and most measurements indicate some good engineering.

Sandu from Soundnews liked the way it sounds. He says that most former AKM dacs were too mellow sounding for his taste, but that this one combines smoothness with slam.

Sandu writes: “A small change from DX7 PRO is that the LPF op-amps are not socketed anymore but are soldered directly on the mother-board. DIP8 op-amps were replaced by SOIC op-amps so no more op-amp rolling for you..”

I see on Shenzhenaudio that it uses LME49720 opamps and OPA1612 for I/V

Has anyone more info on the Topping D90? For 700 USD it seems an atractive offer.

Attachments

• ToppingD90.jpg
    ToppingD90.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 470
The Topping D90 measures a bit better (at ASR) than the 1000 USD Gustard A22 dac. It seems that the Gustard is a kind of preproduction model, so maybe that one will get some tweaks...

The Gustard has a discrete output stage, and that appeals to me a lot. On the other hand it will be difficult to mod because most of the components are smd as well.

The PSU of the Gustard seems a bit beefier.

What do others think of this Gustard, or of the way this brand designs their dacs in general?

Attachments

• GustardA22a.jpg
    GustardA22a.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 419
  • GustardA22b.jpg
    GustardA22b.jpg
    499.5 KB · Views: 405
  • GustardA22c.jpg
    GustardA22c.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Then there is this BRZHIFI NCX10 dac for about 750 USD, so a direct competitor to the Topping D90.

Looks pretty nice, I like the power supply layout.

And there's a knob! Very important IMO :D
A pre stage is not the same without a proper knob.

Where are you seeing it for 750 USD? Can only find it for 100$ more.

I see they recommend using the AES input, claiming it measures better than the SPDIF.

Edit:
YinLuMei have the M400, they are using the PGA2311UA for volume control. Intended for use with phones.

Attachments

• O1CN01HiOaFt1xJmVJ3fb75_!!380726423.jpg
    O1CN01HiOaFt1xJmVJ3fb75_!!380726423.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 403
  • O1CN01jpn8dn1xJmVRkbahx_!!380726423.png
    O1CN01jpn8dn1xJmVRkbahx_!!380726423.png
    383.1 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Anyone that have looked at a layout for the 4499 yet?

There is the eval board that could be used as a starting point. Modded mine a little to facilitate running some experiments. Satisfied it is possible to make it sound quite good, but it sure is a lot more complicated in tems of parts count than, say, what Chord has done with Hugo TT 2. Would very much like to listen to the Hugo for a few days as a point of reference.

Looks pretty nice, I like the power supply layout.

And there's a knob! Very important IMO :D
A pre stage is not the same without a proper knob.

Where are you seeing it for 750 USD? Can only find it for 100$ more.

I see they recommend using the AES input, claiming it measures better than the SPDIF.

Edit:
YinLuMei have the M400, they are using the PGA2311UA for volume control. Intended for use with phones.

Yes, it seems a neat little device, but I fear much of it inner parts will inhibit the 4499 performance…

Hard to say much from most of the pictures. If they were close-up enough to read part numbers off the chips that might help some.

Yes, I couldn't find any hirez pictures of the boards so far. Hopefully some adventurous buyers will chime in.

The BRZHIFI seems very attractive on first sight, but there's no knowing how well it's engineered and how well it sounds...