Aftermarket ac power cable-put your opinions here too :-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have tried all the Audioquest storm series cables on CD players, DAC's, preamps, power amps and they have improved the sound in every case. This is with both tube and SS equipment. It is also very high end equipment.

Have any of you, that feel they don't make a difference, tried them like I have? I have an open mind about new products. Do you?

I've never heard any difference from using any audioquest cables in my system

No thanks.

Matt, I suspect you mean well and are encouraging an engineering discipline which I fully respect. The products we enjoy day to day would not exist if there were not talented designers who learn and apply scientific principle and engineering rigor to produce them.

But I have neither the skill nor the inclination to write a scientific dissertation on this topic. And to what purpose. Even when someone offered the papers from an engineer who is a cable designer it gets shot down for sport as do all of the posts where mere hobbyists report their observations to be taken for what they are... One person's experience with all of the inherent limitations.

This is a hobby site. I appreciate and respect the scientifically proven principals which are presented as well as the experiences of mere hobbyists.

I enjoy red wine. I go to enthusiast sites and read ratings, experiences and observations to help me take an educated guess at things I might want to try. Some times I get a winner and sometimes not worth repeating. But it opens my mind to try things I might otherwise miss.

It would be equally off-putting if every time someone suggested they found a particular vintage and particular year worth a try, that the same crowd of chemical engineers shouted - Prove it!!! show me the chemical analysis which guarantees the so called flavor you have the audacity to suggest. Of course we develop a thick skin and take no offense an go on enjoying our hobby.

Excellent post wlowes!

The wine analogy is often used but doesn't hold up, there are no similarities between the differing flavours of wine and hi-fi reproduction. These kinds of analogies are often used by people in the business of selling dubious audio products. This is no secret. It's not about writing a scientific dissertation, it's about measurements
Excellent post scottjoplin!

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I feel that one of the reasons the Storm power cables sound so good is that they use solid core wire and they orient its direction for the lowest noise.

Let the flames begin!

No flames... Very happy to hear about your feelings. However - that doesn't really help anyone else. That's fine though. Where is all goes wrong is when people mix up subjective likes with objective reality, and claim their subjective view is the *Truth*. Not saying that you are doing that.

But you do seem to like quotes so.....

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

qv bybees, Peter Best stuff... Or just dip into the snake oil thread...

Go for solid silver mains cables...

Preferably unisolated ones, you just make some wooden standoffs to keep them apart. Then firmly hold one with each hand until the shock feels like a gentle tingle, keep holding.

Natural selection will take care of the rest.
(No, please do not try that at home kids.)

I thought cable discussions where under the "no politics"or "no religion" rule?

... That said I do prefer solid core to stranded (not for mains though), file it under personal preference please.

Last edited:
Jakob2 said:
We were discussing if the text is "only nonsense" which apparently isn´t correct.
Pedantry can be a useful tool when the aim is to win an argument rather than cast light on an issue.

I guess it is considered to be FUD if you strongly belief that a differently constructed "line cord" can´t lead to an auditory difference.
No. It is considered to be FUD if you believe that a reasonable power cable should not lead to significant audible difference when used with reasonable equipment; this is a weaker statement than the one you suggest.

wlowes said:
The products we enjoy day to day would not exist if there were not talented designers who learn and apply scientific principle and engineering rigor to produce them.
True for phones, medical equpment, vehicles etc. Less true for audio, where some people enjoy items designed by people who either ignore or are not aware of relevant engineering principles.

Even when someone offered the papers from an engineer who is a cable designer it gets shot down for sport
No, it gets criticised for being wrong. The problem is that far too many people cannot understand the criticism and prefer to believe a good story.

I have tried listening to solid core wire in both directions, and to me it sounds better one way than the other. I like your 4CX tube gpauk. I used a pair of 4CX250B's on 6 meters for years and they worked great with a 2000v plate supply.
Would you buy a 2 meter long power cord for $1149 from a company that shows an image of 3 prong plug similar to this
12-500-00.jpg

and describes
"Excellent solid, milled spade connectors"
"Very transparent and natural sounding interconnect cable"
"Engineered venting on the top and airflow system avoiding heat buildup inside the chassis"?

An AC power cord or cable doesn't have a fixed Radio Frequency Characteristic Impedance. It will have an impedance that will very depending on the frequency under discussion. The impedance will be several thousand Ohms near power line frequencies and slowly reduce to the neighborhood of 100 Ohms near 100kHz.

Matt: I will admit to perhaps drawing a blank, but there has been an increase in more obscure references from you. Maybe you're aiming for the state of Vague Oracle, or just grinning in front of your monitor

At any rate, I do not understand why people get so worked up over these threads, not even slightly amusing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.