ADCs and DACs for audio instrumentation applications

IIUC the bitclock just reads out samples from the internal buffer. 32 bits are read from each of the 1-channel chips, the master clock seems just right to clock 32 bits into the output buffer in one frame.

That's for sure, but I don't see how to shift in each buffer and at the same time with clocking out, hence there must be some double buffering (what is actually clocked out is the previous sample, while the new sample is buffered in each chip).

Aha - it looked like you have to "sign the dotted line" on that web page...

You seem to be lucky with the UK based ISMOsys ESS representative, at least they are willing to send you an NDA to sign. The US based distributor (Shaw Electronics), after hearing I am not a big commercial developer, stopped answering my emails. I get my ES9038PRO chips from Mouser, fortunately the data sheet is freely available, but for ESS evaluation boards or the new parts, apparently not a chance in hell.

Sure, I do not think that reading could be asynchronous (SPI/emulated I2S has independent clock) without the double buffering. When one buffer is being read, another is being written. And the next frame their roles swap. IMO OK

Independent (internal) clock is likely not related to the SPI interface requirements, but to the SAR conversion process. In a SAR you can't really shift out while the conversion is in progress, since the result is dumped in the buffer when the conversion is complete, so it must be very fast to allow a slice of time for shifting out in a conversion cycle. Example, 768KHz 20bit SAR conversion running internally at 80MHz (250nS), leaving about 1uS per cycle to shift out the result, which maps to a minimum bit clock frequency of 48MHz to shift out two conversions results (L/R) as 24bit left justified values, before the next conversion cycle starts. Just enough to fit in the 49.152MHz standard frequency.

You seem to be lucky with the UK based ISMOsys ESS representative, at least they are willing to send you an NDA to sign. The US based distributor (Shaw Electronics), after hearing I am not a big commercial developer, stopped answering my emails. I get my ES9038PRO chips from Mouser, fortunately the data sheet is freely available, but for ESS evaluation boards or the new parts, apparently not a chance in hell.

Meantime, somebody snatched all the stock of ES9038PRO, from all distributors (Mouser, Shaw, ISMOsys) everything is now on a 16 weeks backorder.

No doubt about that. The representative said that they even sign NDAs with small, single person, low turn-over, companies so ESS don't have a problem signing them with individuals.

What was immediately apparent, however, is that you do need a company, or similar, based email/company for ESS legal to take you seriously.

The fact that the US distributor isn't taking you seriously is actually very poor in terms of representing ESS. When you sign an NDA the form is sent off to ESS. The distributor merely acts as a middle-man. I will note that, at the moment, all ESS distributors are extremely busy fulfilling lots of new trade agreements as companies switch from AKM to ESS. When things calm down they might be in a better position to deal with you.

I didn't realise that Mouser now stock ESS parts so this is news to me. Seems like it's a rather new development though. I can't imagine it would be that long until the NDA on the ADCs is lifted and Mouser start stocking them too. That would be marvellous.

Honestly, I fail to understand the strategies of many of these companies involved in digital audio. ESS, CMedia, AKM (partly, they hide lots of details from their non commercial entities), etc... are all doing about the same. While I do understand that not everything but the chips has to be free and open, what are they protecting and how are the current practices improve sales? If I would be a big corporation and plan to build some supa dupa audio gear, I would sign whatever NDS and get samples from everybody on the market, then decide for one product, anyway. So they are essentially screwing the small guys (set aside the enthusiasts) which to me is nothing but bad PR. Or perhaps it's the big manufacturing dinosaurs that are asking the chip manufacturers to keep everything under the wraps to avoid competition from the small and agile mammals. But for what, a high performance audio minuscule market?

The thing is hobbyists have a big community all of our own for problem solving and troubleshooting. Sure it might not be as direct as asking for help from the 'horses mouth' but it's often just as useful.

I don't think I have ever seen a hobbyist/enthusiast who has expected a chip manufacturer, or their distributors/representatives, to give them direct advice. We know that's not going to happen.

The ESS representative mentioned that NDAs are necessary because ESS has had some people reverse engineer stuff. I said to him I don't know what kind of information ESS included in their datasheets back then but I have never seen a datasheet that would allow you to reverse engineer the chip its describing. That's not what datasheets are for.

It's all a load of baloney. No datasheet is going to give away company secrets and if a rival company wanted to get an NDA, and access to the datasheets, it would be a simple matter for them to do so.

TI are the only company out there that have been outstanding. They have their E2E forums which only welcome questions posed by hobbyists and the like. Usually you have to have a good question to answer though. TI recognise that a problem is a problem and an unanswered question is an unanswered question. It doesn't matter if you're a hobbyist or from a big company, if you've spotted something, you've spotted something. TIs engineers wish to know what these issues are so they can best help others in the future.

Personally I am far less concerned about receiving directed help to specific questions I might have. What I care about is access to the stuff that makes things work. SDKs, datasheets, development suites, evaluation modules and their documentation, plus the ability to easily buy their hardware. I don't see why this is too much to ask for. I'm not asking for your help, just access to the same stuff all the companies get access to.

Ironically help isn't usually the issue with the DIY community. We like to share. And more often than not you'll find a YouTube video, or thread on some forum, that goes into enough detail to get you where you want to go. This is doubly ironic because if we did have easy access, to everything, companies would use the stuff we post, to fix their problems, rather than asking the chip manufacturers. So the chip manufacturers have to answer fewer questions and ultimately end up selling more chips because more of us can use them.

Whichever way you look at this making chips hard to get and hiding away their details makes no sense.

I mostly agree. Even TI and Analog Devices have secret parts and information, though. At least they are nice enough to not advertise them. I find the behavior of ESS a bit confusing given their tiny market share. I expect that kind of behavior from Qualcomm, who doesn't care if you aren't buying at least 10M units.

Maybe, maybe not. If AKM loses business, it'll probably be lost to Cirrus or TI. ESS doesn't seem to have gained much traction in pro audio. I wanted to support a smaller company, but when they do nothing but create hurdles and annoyances it isn't helpful.

Last edited:
-------------------------
Situation regarding semiconductor plant fire and product supply

January 22, 2021

NOTICE

Asahi Kasei Microdevices Corporation

Regarding a fire that occurred on October 20, 2020, at our semiconductor plant located in Nobeoka, Miyazaki, Japan, please be informed of the following with regard to the situation of the plant and product supply:

Situation of the plant

On October 24, 2020, the Nobeoka Fire Department declared the fire to be extinguished. The Police and Fire Departments are continuing their investigation of the site.

At the current time, there is no clear prospect for identification of the cause of the fire or for restoration of operation of the plant.

We will continue to fully cooperate with the authorities to investigate the cause of the fire.

Situation of product supply

In late November 2020, we began shipping product inventory which had been stored at the plant.

We have discussed with our customers about the possibility of switching to alternative products, and requested other semiconductor manufacturers to supply such alternative products to our customers where possible.

Regarding cases where alternative products are unavailable, we are advancing preparations for substitute manufacturing.

Currently, several semiconductor manufacturers are cooperating with this endeavor regarding certain products.

We will continue to make every effort regarding identification of the cause of the fire and fulfilment of product supply.
-------------------------

As I am reading this official statement, if they are still investigating the fire root causes (instead of concentrating on rebuilding the fab), not a chance in hell for resuming production before 2022. This probably explains why the full stock of ESS chips vanished in the last few days from the distributors, somebody is planning to speculate the pro audio chips still on the market.